• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Ai Tenchi Muyo Brings Back Original Characters

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 2:08 pm Reply with quote
Well, no Noike, so there's an improvement from OVA 3 right there.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 2:11 pm Reply with quote
Definitely better, now they just need to axe the extraneous new characters and we'll all be set. Still wish it wasn't in 5 minute installments.
pachy_boy

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 2:26 pm Reply with quote
Don't know why, but there's something especially eye-catching about Washu's new overall look. Of course, all the returning characters look good considering their new designer. Fingers crossed on a future streaming courtesy of Funimation!
Running Wild

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 2:27 pm Reply with quote
Jesus Christ, what happened Washu?
Cyclone1993

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 2:30 pm Reply with quote
Loving the designs, might have to check this out!
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 2:39 pm Reply with quote
Running Wild wrote:
Jesus Christ, what happened Washu?

It is a preliminary design? you can compare and contrast between the concept and the cleaned up version of Ryoko and Ayeka on the same page as it is a noticeable difference and Washu will probably look similarly refined in the running version.
MajinSaga

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 2:51 pm Reply with quote
Damn, they look all look like shit. fudge this new series.
Thespacemaster

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 2:52 pm Reply with quote
Oh hell yes, at the very least the old gang is going to be more involved in this one. I just wish this want a 5 min series. well maybe in the future they might compact them as full episodes.

Looking forward to see them again. Tenchi Muyo will always be with as the series that introduced me to the anime world. Smile
Wrangler

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 3:11 pm Reply with quote
Ok....a real city in Japan is funding a Tenchi Muyo Web/micro anime series so it can get fans of the franchise to come to their city and buy swag???? REALLY???????

Washu's world threating experiment requires Tenchi to go undercover as student teacher.

What a stupid concept! Well, if Tenchi is a student teacher, he must be heck alot of older than he used to be in previous OVA. I guess least we have that.

The city must only been able enough money to be able fund them in a spread out matter I guess. 5-minutes footage at a time i mean. Total, there like 4 hours worth of footage their backing. I don't know, the whole idea of the plot sound utterly stupid too me. A reason to fit more girls into the story/plot, verse actually get something that shows Tenchi resolve the issue with his grandfather and possiblely become Emperor would've have been better. I hope they'll manage to slip in something on what happen to cast if they moved on beyond being a "harem" only in name. I thought Tenchi Muyo GXP had story to it than the "new" OVA they came out after it.

Hope this works out.

Last edited by Wrangler on Fri Aug 29, 2014 3:19 pm; edited 3 times in total
Ulinox

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 3:11 pm Reply with quote
This character listing makes me feel like there's not enough girls in this show for this guy to choose from.
jibrilmudo

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 3:16 pm Reply with quote
I'm surprised they're there. I was wrong about that.

There was a massive negative reaction to the new girls in Japan (on twitter). Do you guys think it was early enough in the production process for them to change/shake up the story to cater to fans?

But for an anime with 250 minutes (I'm guessing 225 minutes if 30 seconds combined for opener/credits), which comes out equivalent to 10 22.5 minute episodes = what exactly are they doing with such a huge cast?

We're talking about 13 girls now. And some of the new girls seem generically patterned after the old girls (that lab coat girl and also Beni).

One thing interesting is that none of the Tenchi girls have weapons. unlike the 8 new girls. And they have the same basic description that OAV or TU could have given them. Sasami is still a kid. So this doesn't seem to be a continuation of, say, TU.

What is AiTM trying to be, exactly?

Last edited by jibrilmudo on Fri Aug 29, 2014 3:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
Wrangler

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 3:23 pm Reply with quote
jibrilmudo wrote:
I'm surprised they're there. I was wrong
We're talking about 13 girls now.

One thing interesting is that none of the Tenchi girls have weapons. unlike the 8 new girls. And they have the same basic description that OAV or TU could have given them. Sasami is still a kid. So this doesn't seem to be a continuation of, say, TU.

What is AiTM trying to be, exactly?

From sound of it, a sitcom/slice of life sort of thing. Tenchi looks like he older, as with the cast. Sasami looks like a teenager now, not pre-teen in the show.

I think this going be another spin-off / alternate universe thing. Did you guys notice one of the teenages looks like Lum Invader from Urusei Yatsura?
LaSean

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 4:14 pm Reply with quote
I don't like the redesigns of the old characters and the new characters look extremely generic.
Not a fan of the art style either.
Sad
Tomibiki

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 4:41 pm Reply with quote
Nope Nope NOPE
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 4:54 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Did you guys notice one of the teenages looks like Lum Invader from Urusei Yatsura?

It is a dime a dozen momotaro reference, momokyun sword is doing such a thing this batch of releases and I am certain you can find at least a few per year from the past decade of anime productions.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5