• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Xbox One Sells 23,562 in 1st 4 Days in Japan

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
acetatsujin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 11:09 pm Reply with quote
Alright! you're very close to hitting 1 million units big boy, you can do it!
Chagen46

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 11:12 pm Reply with quote
I'm amazed it sold THAT much. I thought literally no one in Japan plays Xbox.
labmember001

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 11:22 pm Reply with quote
That first picture was proven to be taken before/after the actual release. There was like 5 people in line at the actual release time ^^
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 11:24 pm Reply with quote
I heard a rumor that those numbers are fixed and people in Japan are reporting almost no lines at all for the Xbox One on launch day and the 3 days after it. If that's true then RIP MS Japan, you had no chance from the beginning.
Egan Loo

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 11:26 pm Reply with quote
labmember001 wrote:
That first picture was proven to be taken before/after the actual release. There was like 5 people in line at the actual release time ^^

Specifically, at about 8:00 a.m. (Yodobashi-Akiba opens at 9:30 a.m.)
mewpudding101
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 11:41 pm Reply with quote
Ouch. I guess that's what happens when you don't have any Japanese-developed games.

I think what will make me never use Xbox is the region blocking on 360. Since I never had interest in 360, that move to One as well, even without region blocking. Also, lack of Japanese games. ^^;
Fedora-san

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 11:54 pm Reply with quote
That's not really shocking at all. The 360 sold 62,135 it's first week in Japan and I assumed One would sell far worse given at least the 360 had some promises of Japanese backing originally with titles like Blue Dragon and Enchanted Arms.
mdo7

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 12:00 am Reply with quote
Hoppy800 wrote:
I heard a rumor that those numbers are fixed and people in Japan are reporting almost no lines at all for the Xbox One on launch day and the 3 days after it. If that's true then RIP MS Japan, you had no chance from the beginning.

Yeah I remember reading about this on Kotaku (Brain Ashcraft living in Japan has confirmed this), here are the pictures:

I mean how was Xbox One able to sell more then 20,000 lines if there was no lines at all??
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
configspace

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 12:13 am Reply with quote
@mdo7
Did you see Egan's answer:
Egan Loo wrote:
Specifically, at about 8:00 a.m. (Yodobashi-Akiba opens at 9:30 a.m.)

mdo7 wrote:
I mean how was Xbox One able to sell more then 20,000 lines if there was no lines at all??

Uhhh... why would selling 23,562 over 4 Days in Japan require any lines of people waiting before stores open? A good chunk can come from online orders, and another chunk can just come from walk-in traffic without lines.
KH91

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 12:44 am Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:
Hoppy800 wrote:

Yeah I remember reading about this on Kotaku (Brain Ashcraft living in Japan has confirmed this), here are the pictures:

Bots. Nuff said.
ArmyofDarkness

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 12:58 am Reply with quote
That's about 245 consoles an hour. Jesus how terrible.
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 1:08 am Reply with quote
Two different cultures. Two different wants and needs. Xbox has never been popular in Japan.
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 1:48 am Reply with quote
To be fair, the 360 tried, and it was actually a decent system. It had Lost Odyssey, Vesperia, Magna Carta 2, Infinite Undiscovery, and a few others. But unlike the ps3, the jrpgs were never a real strong focus, MS made an effort, but after a while the only thing coming out on the 360 in the jrpg department was FF.
traveling

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 3:12 am Reply with quote
They could have thrown some money around and got some train simulators for launch at least. Laughing It was doomed from the beginning though and not just because it's Xbox. Home consoles can't compete with portables in Japan.

And there's no way in hell MediaCreate made up these numbers. Stop the propaganda.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 3:13 am Reply with quote
Microsoft probably realized by now that Xbox wouldn't succeed in Japan no matter what they do. It's like PC gaming and Samsung Galaxy in Japan or PS Vita in America or Amazon in China. Just aim for the niche who'd buy your product for what it already does.

(And ex-pats I know who bought it, already bought it....... last year - there's no more region-lock to worry about, no J-games for it that they're waiting for, get good VPN for online gaming........ there's no reason to wait 10 months for them.)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2