• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Pile of Shame - Bite Me! Chameleon

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ushio

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 11:14 am Reply with quote
Why would any western anime fans want to watch yankee anime when you just have to go to school to see worse.

http://gawker.com/bullies-dump-feces-urine-on-autistic-boy-in-evil-ice-b-1630536729
navycherub

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 11:18 am Reply with quote
The tagline "made Justin want to hurt himself" isn't the most tasteful.

Last edited by navycherub on Tue Sep 16, 2014 11:26 am; edited 1 time in total
bobob101

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 11:20 am Reply with quote
The Yankee genre is one of the hardest to get into, because it is so often suffocated in manly nostalgia to a degree that even someone like Kamina from Gurren Lagan would call it cheesy. That being said, if you want to watch a good Yankee show, try looking for Crows. It is a story of a tough guy with tough friends who fights other tough guys, but its pretty good.
Rederoin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 11:24 am Reply with quote
It was a good comedy, its such a shame we will never get to see the other 5 episodes. Raw or subbed.
here-and-faraway

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 1:35 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
It's very strange, but it seems like Western anime fandom has not only forgotten, but actively purged this show from its collective memories.

It's a conspiracy! Laughing
Penguin_Factory

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 2:23 pm Reply with quote
I don't know why, but looking at those screencaps reminds me of the live-action Garbage Pail Kids movie.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 2:43 pm Reply with quote
I don't think I've even heard of this one, and I'm usually good about knowing more obscure OVAs. Maybe it's because it looks hideous that it was intentionally forgotten, and that's coming from someone who enjoyed the heck out of Mad Bull 34 and Violence Jack.
GVman

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 4:11 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
there's lots of used tampons and blood and pooping and fart noises

Maybe I'm just a piece of human trash, but I gotta check this out now. I love delinquent stuff, and the manga of this has been on my back-burner for a little while now. Maybe it's about time I gave this a look. For some reason, I'm only offended by something if it falls into this middle range, like it was on a bar. Anything that takes something "too far" I usually find hilarious, whereas regular "just a little too racy" stuff tends to bother me a bit.

Also, I keep getting this manga confused with another that stars three really short high schoolers who I assume are delinquents and they're also a bit ugly. It also apparently has two cute '80s anime-looking girls as part of the main cast (fitting, since this was published in the '80s, after all). Lastly, it had a TV anime, I believe.
DerekTheRed

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 6:43 pm Reply with quote
I would have bet money that Justin had already covered this in Buried Garbage... Anime dazed
Apashi

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:56 pm Reply with quote
DerekTheRed wrote:
I would have bet money that Justin had already covered this in Buried Garbage... Anime dazed

Wow I actually came here to say this would be a perfect show for Buried Garbage haha. Is that still running?
DerekTheRed

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:23 pm Reply with quote
What you're reading is basically what Buried Treasure/Garbage evolved into.
Joe Carpenter

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 11:21 pm Reply with quote
I recently watched an anime called Gokusen, which is both a Yankee and a Yakuza anime

I enjoyed it, but I can see why that sort of thing does not set the world on fire sales wise in the west, juvenile delinquents and gangsters don't really play into the "cool Japan" perception that's so crucial to western anime fandom, showing that Japan has crime too kinda shatters the illusion
SquadmemberRitsu

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 1:54 am Reply with quote
I've really got to watch more delinquent shows. Cromartie Highschool was great. Then again, I think one of the funniest parts of that show was the fact that they barely ever engaged in actual delinquent activities.

Probably not this Chameleon show though. I generally find toilet humour to be a bit hit and miss and period jokes... no.
vermilionone

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 4:21 am Reply with quote
Wow, that's a trip down memory lane!

Reading the article I kept wondering if I watched it before. The screenshot of the guy with a used pad on his head seemed horribly familiar. And then the embarrassing realization hit that I'm one of the people in the video linked at the end!
doc-watson42
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:52 am Reply with quote
I once showed this to my local anime club, as part of a one-night program of comedies. I don't remember much detail about the reaction to it, other than it was priceless.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3