• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 6,000 See One-Night Naruto Run, Viz Mulls Other Films

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gunshottrigun

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 11:44 pm Reply with quote
Is 6,000 alot?
>__>
Jifty

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 12:01 am Reply with quote
For a limited release of 166 theatres, I'd imagine 6000 is a good number.

I happened to be one of those 6000.

Now, I'm something of a fan of the series, but the kids (and yes, most of them were kids) in the theatre were straight up Narutards. They were having a fit over what was essentially commercials for Naruto games. I swear, it was everything high-pitched about Otakon in a small theatre.

Still, I enjoyed myself. Hopefully we'll see more anime released in theatres.
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 12:06 am Reply with quote
Thats 36 per theater Confused

And half of that should cover the shipping for each one of the films sent. What 2, maybe 3 cases. Confused
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
naruto fan 09812

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 12:38 am Reply with quote
I have seen all the Naruto movies and they are nothing special. The movies are basically quick cash ins and it's like Viz is taking a rid on the money train.
Sweetmusic_01

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 2:21 am Reply with quote
They probably would have had more people show up if they chose to show the movie on a weekend. Someone I talked with in the theatre was complaining that was playing during the middle of the week.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 3:21 am Reply with quote
Dargonxtc wrote:

Umm that's pretty good isn't it? Hell 36 is about half capacity in all of the theaters, also I wonder if that 6000 is rounded up or down.
testorschoice

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 5:02 am Reply with quote
Dargonxtc wrote:

And half of that should cover the shipping for each one of the films sent. What 2, maybe 3 cases. Confused

No film was harmed in the screening of this "film." Wink The movie was digitally projected, which cuts down on the film shipping costs by not having physical film reels at all.

If there had been real film reels, just the developing and processing of 166 sets of film reels for a one-night showing would have been budget-busting. Digital projection make showings like these feasible.
Kyaa the Catlord

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 5:02 am Reply with quote
Coppola-chan!

*notes the vague reference* I am the otaku, hear me geek out.
kezoi13

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 5:07 am Reply with quote
Dargonxtc-just as an fyi...when it was played in theatres it wasn't actual film. It was a digital presentation meaning there was no shipping involved.

Also, even though it was 36 people per theatre...the main markets faired very well, selling out in Los Angeles, NY, etc (I'm one of the managers at the AMC where it was played).

I screened it before we showed it. It was an okay movie. I did like the bonus features the screening came with. More theatres were able to benefit with their costume contests and video game set ups.
kezoi13

Dargonxtc-just as an fyi...when it was played in theatres it wasn't actual film. It was a digital presentation meaning there was no shipping involved.

Also, even though it was 36 people per theatre...the main markets faired very well, selling out in Los Angeles, NY, etc (I'm one of the managers at the AMC where it was played).

I screened it before we showed it. It was an okay movie. I did like the bonus features the screening came with. More theatres were able to benefit with their costume contests and video game set ups.
testorschoice

Sweetmusic_01 wrote:
They probably would have had more people show up if they chose to show the movie on a weekend. Someone I talked with in the theatre was complaining that was playing during the middle of the week.

The issue is not that more people might see Naruto on a June weekend. More people would. The issue is that many, many, many, many, many more people would want to see Pirates of the Carribean, Knocked Up, or Shrek 3 in that same theater on a June weekend, one of the most lucrative two-day periods of the entire year.

Viz might have loved to book 166 movie theaters on a weekend for a first-time movie franchise with no A- or B-list actors and a director unproven in America. Whether the risk-adverse movie theaters would agree to do that while people are lining up for Hollywood blockbusters is another question.
Elistan98

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 8:02 am Reply with quote
I took a vacation day and arranged for a baby sitter so I could go. I drove 67 miles and got to the theatre in Columbus Ohio 2 hours before the movie and it was sold out. There were a few other theatres showing it and I called them and they were sold out by 5 also. So then I had to drive 67 miles back home without getting even inside the theatre.

I was not pleased.
Jifty

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 9:18 am Reply with quote
That's the joy of buying tickets up ahead of time online. Razz
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 11:56 am Reply with quote
testorschoice & kezoi13:

I guess that shows how long its been since I have been in a projection room. Shocked

Are digital projectors pretty much the norm now? I didn't realize that they had gotten them down in price to be able to project the right size, clarity and brightness to have them in every theater. I guess we can check the job of splicer off the list.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Sweetmusic_01

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 12:36 pm Reply with quote
Jifty wrote:
That's the joy of buying tickets up ahead of time online. Razz

Some theatres didn't have the option to buy online
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3