• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Wolf Girl & Black Prince (TV).

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 7:33 pm Reply with quote

Wolf Girl & Black Prince (TV)

Genres: comedy, romance

Plot Summary: Erika talks to her friends about boyfriends and romance, but in all her sixteen years she's never actually dated anyone. She thought her lies had reached a limit until one day she takes a surreptitious video of a good looking guy she saw in town. She brags that he's her boyfriend, but it turns out that his name's Kyōya Sata and he's just transferred to her school. She tells him what's going on and offers to admit to her lie, but it turns out that under his sweet exterior, he's actually a malicious sadist. Seizing on Erika's weakness, he orders her to be his dog.

Preview videos
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=uIesYTfKQWw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=tZJPQfq2UNk
----------------------------------

I've read the source material before and it's pretty funny at times. The main guy makes a lot of jokes and is quite mischievous. At the same time, the main girl (Erika) finds herself in conflict with romance and this guy who just transferred in.

Anyways, it's a 1 cour so some stuff might be cut out. The budget doesn't look too good though but I'm hoping for some decent comedy out of this show.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 8:57 am Reply with quote
Episode 1:

Well, it was actually better than I had thought. Besides the budget, it had its fun moments although some parts were a bit cliche than others. The OP song was catchy though. I think I'll stick around to see the progress that Erika will make with our "prince". I wouldn't exactly call him a prince though Surprised
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Bugnin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 11:21 am Reply with quote
Okay, being that this show obviously wasn't made for me, I'm likely still going to be watching it by force..

That said, this was a good episode, though the entire premise is based on the main character being an idiot. The dynamic between her and the prince guy is nonetheless charming.

This show reminds me of Nazo no kanojo x in it's kinky weirdness. I think I'll wind up liking it despite myself.
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 2:04 pm Reply with quote
This looks like fun.
spoiler[Erika totally has a lying problem.
And a problem of fitting in like a normal person.
Guess she's not the only one either.
She kept on piling lies..
Fake boyfriend came with a price.
Not that she didn't deserve it.]

Will be watching it!
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 8:07 pm Reply with quote
Replacement for Ao Haru Ride, except with a sadistic fake boyfriend. I like the ED song.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 9:25 pm Reply with quote
I'm normally not a fan of the "jerk guy, cute girl" shojo set-up but for some reason I didn't find it terribly annoying in this ep. I'll stick around.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 10:22 pm Reply with quote
I'm not clear on why she was so frantic to make friends in her classroom when she has Sanda, who is a true friend. Having no friends at all I could understand, but Sanda would seem to be the buffer against utter loneliness that should have allowed her the patience to make additional friends more organically.

Though one explanation could be something about the way Japanese classes are divided, whatever that factor might be doesn't seem to have been an obstacle for her or in anyone else's view in finding a boyfriend who's in another class (Sanda's class, as it happens).

I get that for high schoolers dating across classes, schools or even high school/college is apparently tolerable, where it would be much harder to have your friends at another school, but how much socializing within a class (vs other classes) can there be during class? You can have lunch together, see each other after school, before school, etc.

It just seems like a weak motivation for her desperately irrational behavior as long as she can have face-time with an actual close friend during the day.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 1:07 am Reply with quote
Episode 1

Another shoujo of the female lead having to make herself likable for friends that are not similar to her. I can see where she might be coming from, it seems pretty plausible. So far I really like her character, she is quite like Futaba, but digging her own grave is funnier. And so far he has not done anything really bad, rather he is pretty humorous.

Comedic moment for her spoiler[taking his picture really close].
dvls_advocate

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 4:31 am Reply with quote
The genre says it is a comedy, romance.

I'll have to read what others say about this one for a few more episodes before I decide to watch it. Somehow the phrase...

"he's actually a malicious sadist. Seizing on Erika's weakness, he orders her to be his dog".

doesn't make it seem very comedic or romantic. Confused
Bugnin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 4:37 am Reply with quote
dvls_advocate wrote:
The genre says it is a comedy, romance.

I'll have to read what others say about this one for a few more episodes before I decide to watch it. Somehow the phrase...

"he's actually a malicious sadist. Seizing on Erika's weakness, he orders her to be his dog".

doesn't make it seem very comedic or romantic. Confused

the vibe from the first episode was pretty clearly a light hearted S&M romance, which is the most insanely popular theme (among those that females will never admit to Laughing). It never gave off the appearance that it was going for sadistic cruelty or revenge.
Merida

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 6:30 am Reply with quote
Hmm, the humour just didn't work for me and not in the "oh, i feel so sorry for the poor girl that i'm unable to laugh at her being treated like that" sense because i don't really feel sorry for her at all since he embodies pretty much everything i hate about dumb and shallow shoujo heroines, but more in a "that just wasn't very funny for a comedy" kind of way.
Knoepfchen

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 4:09 am Reply with quote
I think my enjoyment of this show might probably come out of seeing Wolf Girl being forced to live through the consequences of her own stupidity. I have zero sympathy for her, feeling the need to please the two shallowest and most annoying people in her class when she's got a good and real friend she could spend breaks and lunchtime with in the next class. She already made herself their "dog" long before Black Prince entered the stage. If she feels the need to degrade herself like that, why should I root for her? It's not like she is all alone in the world or left with no other options. I only hope Black Prince will not get the jerk with a heart of gold or Freudian excuse treatment, both would feel vastly out of place here.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 12:47 am Reply with quote
There's also the whole thing with her depending on Sanda to help her out with her deceptions to keep her "friends" because apparently Sanda's friendship doesn't count. It's like asking someone to go shopping to help you buy things for a party you aren't inviting them to.
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 1:16 am Reply with quote
I don't see why Gina has such a problem understanding her.... Erika wants more friends and she panicked when she saw all the cliques already forming. So she did something stupid and is now paying the price. Why do you think Erika wanting friends means she doesn't see Sanda as a friend?????? Erika doesn't want to be a loner in her class.
Bugnin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 2:51 am Reply with quote
This is going to most definitely be a romantic comedy. I'm not sure why anyone is expecting Erika to suffer. I mean, she's paying a penalty, but the whole vibe of the whole episode wasn't mean at all.

This has sub/dom hijinx written all over it. I guarentee you he never makes her do anything terrible. He was already in full boyfriend mode sticking up for Erika by the end of the first episode.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7