• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Ronja the Robber's Daughter (TV).

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 7:44 pm Reply with quote

Ronja the Robber's Daughter (TV)

Genres: adventure
Themes: coming of age

Plot Summary: Ronja is the only daughter of Mattis, a bandit leader who lives in a castle in the middle of a large forest. When Ronja grows old enough, she ventures into the forest to interact the strange and magical creatures that live there. She learns to live in the forest through her own strength, with the occasional rescue from her parents. Ronja's life begins to change, however, when she happens upon a boy her own age named Birk.

Preview:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=BsYWw0AzMAs
----------------------------------

I think besides Akatsuki no Yona, this is the other adventure theme series that I'm really looking forward to. There's CG footage in the preview but I think it isn't too distracting. Produced by Studio Ghibli, I'm really curious to see how this will turn out considering the studio has been a source of talk for the past few weeks.

Lovely premise as well.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
vanfanel

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 7:41 am Reply with quote
Just watched it. Ghibli's only credit was for "production cooperation," whatever that means. Animation production was by Polygon Pictures.

Mixed feelings on the technical side. They certainly made an effort. The background art is lovely. Katsuya Kondo's character designs are terrific. But rendering his charcters as cel-shaded 3D...for every shot that worked for me, there was another that felt uncanny, and it's that kind of inconsistency that can interfere with immersion in the story. I still don't think cel-shaded anime is ready for prime-time -- especially not in shows that want to depict an earthy, naturalistic setting. The closing credits show some of Kondo's illustrations, and when I saw them, I was like, "more of that, please!"

Edit: That said, without going the 3D route, it would have been impossible to achieve this much fluid motion and detail on a TV budget. The software's getting better all the time, and the artists are always improving their skills as well. I think the day will come when cel-shaded works can be just as expressive as hand-drawn anime...but there's still a ways to go until then.

Story was a mixed bag too. It's moving really slowly. I liked some of what was shown along the way...especially the tenderness in the family. But as for the overall setting, something felt just a little forced. I was happy to see the bandits spoiler[doing farm work] at the end, because until that point, I was wondering spoiler[how they survived, since they didn't rob anybody and seemed to spend all their time playing with the baby.]

I guess the real story starts next week...though I feel like I've seen it already, given how much the preview gave away.
Oroboro

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 9:51 am Reply with quote
Pretty adorable. though it feels a bit stiff in places.

Looks like this show isn't getting much attention from anyone, which is a shame.
Hikari14

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 2:44 pm Reply with quote
I enjoyed the first episode. Will watch second one soon.
medama_oyaji

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 11:59 pm Reply with quote
So I'm loving this show.

The animation turned me off at first, but in many places it looks better than I thought it would based on the promo videos. A major hurdle to get over was being able to get past constantly thinking "Huh, that looks pretty good!" or "Mm, animation looks a little weird there..." and just take in the show. But I'm pretty much there, and I am really enjoying it.

The pacing feels like an older show. It takes its time, but fills that time with interesting and fun details rather than just stalling like a lot of current shows that I feel dragging things out. They'll spend half an episode on Ronja exploring the forest, but it turns out to be quite a beautiful sequence and helps endear you to the character. In fact, I'm becoming very attached to the characters, Ronja especially. Despite the animation which is occasionally stiff, it also looks excellent at times and they do achieve a lot of good acting through animation, direction, and voice acting.

Also, the creature designs have been great. I don't know this story, so I don't know if any other creatures will show up but the harpies and the dwarfs were SO great looking, and effectively creepy.

Too bad this isn't streaming anywhere. However, there is a group fansubbing it, for which I am grateful. Hopefully this gets a wider release somehow, and more people can give it a chance.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 2:45 am Reply with quote
I'm enjoying this a lot, though it must be a nightmare for people with young kids. Smile Ronja is probably the most easily amused child in the history of children. Everything, from animals and jumping to the sky and water has her laughing like a lunatic. It got kind of annoying on her first day out.

Her mom is the best ever though. "Go ahead, knock yourself out, but you're cleaning it all up when you're done." Tough love. Very Happy
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 7:39 pm Reply with quote
Episode 12

I seem to be the last one watching this. It's really developed nicely, and I'm interested in the spoiler[Romeo and Juliet] angle. Also I was surprised when they actually addressed the issue of what daddy and all her big brothers do for a living. That was well handled. I also loved the rumphob family and their li'l boy rockin' fine.

Next week looks like a polar bear style romp in the snow. Very Happy But yes, lice would definitely be a problem for them. >.<
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1