• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Seven Seas Adds Magika Swordsman and Summoner Fantasy Manga

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dark Absol

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 4:11 pm Reply with quote
Yelps...That means I won't be needing to read the scanlation version of this manga. Smile I'll wait til they're released in physical, then I'll buy it. Smile
Ali07

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 7:37 pm Reply with quote
I'm always cautious when it comes to manga adaptions of LNs. Main reason being that a lot of the ones I've been interested in have been partial adaptions or they end in a spot that doesn't wrap most things up.

Sounds like this one is "just another action/harem series" from some of the comments I've looked at on the net. Still, may keep my eye on this one to see if it does reach a tied up end, then may go back and buy the manga once it's near the last volume. It's what I did recently with Mayo Chiki's manga.
Wandering Samurai

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 8:26 pm Reply with quote
I'm hoping we can see an encyclopedia entry soon so I can put these into my want to see lists. Looks promising for sure.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Broly The Saiyan

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 8:13 am Reply with quote
Ali07 wrote:
I'm always cautious when it comes to manga adaptions of LNs. Main reason being that a lot of the ones I've been interested in have been partial adaptions or they end in a spot that doesn't wrap most things up.

Sounds like this one is "just another action/harem series" from some of the comments I've looked at on the net. Still, may keep my eye on this one to see if it does reach a tied up end, then may go back and buy the manga once it's near the last volume. It's what I did recently with Mayo Chiki's manga.

I can assure you this is not your typical harem manga this manga along with madan, rakudai, and saijaku are recent harem manga and are very different from the majority of harem manga. The jokes are different the stories are unique and overall they are narley manga with hot or gorgeous characters. Before you judge a manga be sure to read it otherwise you may sounds like a judgmental idiot. Also harem manga are good love seeing the variety of routes to choose or the harem route. I will definitely be getting this manga loved reading it so will buy it when it comes out. Would also love to see saijaku, madan, rakudai, and maybe absolute duo come to the west their are some others but those would be the first four i would get and want. Anyways i recommend to people to buy magika it is a amazing manga also unique and again not your typical or generic harem manga. Hope though that the buyers are mature and not overreacting idiots.
Ali07

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 8:54 pm Reply with quote
Broly The Saiyan wrote:
Before you judge a manga be sure to read it otherwise you may sounds like a judgmental idiot.

I wasn't judging it. I said what I've seen of comments from readers. Thought that it was clear I made no real judgement, as I said that I'm going to be keeping an eye on this series.

And, I have no problem with harems. A lot of the anime I've watched and own involve harems. One of my favourite manga series, at the moment, is Nisekoi...a harem manga. I also bought and read Seven Seas' Mayo Chiki manga, another harem, and loved it. Though, I must admit, I'm not a fan of harem endings. I do want the MC in a harem to actually choose one girl. Laughing

Though, outside of calling me an idiot and saying that this series is great, it would've been nice if you actually pointed out what make this manga different and unique.

I mean, if I'm going to be called a judgmental idiot (and it seems it doesn't take much for you to think someone is judgmental), I'd appreciate the person to back up their claims with some examples. Would put my mind at ease.

Or was this comment meant to, in some way, get me to buy the series? If that's the case, never enter a job that involves sales.
Broly The Saiyan

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 12:08 pm Reply with quote
Ali07 wrote:
Broly The Saiyan wrote:
Before you judge a manga be sure to read it otherwise you may sounds like a judgmental idiot.

I wasn't judging it. I said what I've seen of comments from readers. Thought that it was clear I made no real judgement, as I said that I'm going to be keeping an eye on this series.

And, I have no problem with harems. A lot of the anime I've watched and own involve harems. One of my favourite manga series, at the moment, is Nisekoi...a harem manga. I also bought and read Seven Seas' Mayo Chiki manga, another harem, and loved it. Though, I must admit, I'm not a fan of harem endings. I do want the MC in a harem to actually choose one girl. Laughing

Though, outside of calling me an idiot and saying that this series is great, it would've been nice if you actually pointed out what make this manga different and unique.

I mean, if I'm going to be called a judgmental idiot (and it seems it doesn't take much for you to think someone is judgmental), I'd appreciate the person to back up their claims with some examples. Would put my mind at ease.

Or was this comment meant to, in some way, get me to buy the series? If that's the case, never enter a job that involves sales.

I didn't call you a idiot i said if you judge something before reading it you may be considered a idiot that doesnt make you one unless you did as I said. Next i did give examples i said the jokes are different from most harem manga next then i said the story is unique i said some other things but you can go and reread it if it means enough to you. Anyways i like harem endings to many harems are ruined by picking one girl if it had a harem tag it should be harem not a single route but i admit sometimes it is fine. Anyhow the point is As i said this manga along with the others that I said are different and better than the vast majority of harem mangas. Also this manga along with the other harem manga in my previous comment are actually highly rated on mangahere
Ali07

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 7:24 pm Reply with quote
You're not giving examples by saying the humor is good. You're just saying that you like the humor in the series. Why is it good? Saying you like something and you think it's unique are just statements of what you enjoy, not examples of why they're unique or funny.
Broly The Saiyan

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 10:33 pm Reply with quote
Ali07 wrote:
You're not giving examples by saying the humor is good. You're just saying that you like the humor in the series. Why is it good? Saying you like something and you think it's unique are just statements of what you enjoy, not examples of why they're unique or funny.

Dude I am not going to waste anymore time on it what I said was the humor is different than most harem manga their does not need to be a example if you need go read it fact is this is a lot different and better than most harem manga and for fucks sake if you need a example go read it anyhow seven seas made a wise decision in licensing this manga its a good harem manga and different than most thats all i have to say if you need reasons go read it
Ali07

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 6:47 am Reply with quote
Man, must be hard to drum up an example. Especially if you're telling me to head out and do something illegal to read it myself.
Broly The Saiyan

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 10:20 pm Reply with quote
Ali07 wrote:
Man, must be hard to drum up an example. Especially if you're telling me to head out and do something illegal to read it myself.

its illegal in japan not outside it and im just done wasting time the fact is its different from the majority of your usual harem manga thats a decent enough example and if you read its description you would know it is
Ali07

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 10:55 pm Reply with quote
Broly The Saiyan wrote:
Ali07 wrote:

its illegal in japan not outside it and im just done wasting time the fact is its different from the majority of your usual harem manga thats a decent enough example and if you read its description you would know it is

Well, if it is only illegal inside Japan...doesn't Seven Seas licensing this mean that checking it out online now should be considered illegal?

Also, from the description to the comments I've been able to find, there is little said that makes me see anything that breaks the mold of a harem. Which, is why I was asking someone who has read the series to give examples why they were saying that it isn't, in fact, a harem series that we've seen many times.

Just wonder why you couldn't back up your claim. Anyone can come in and tell me I'm wrong with how I have perceived this series. But, for me, harems have to have some sort of hook to grab me. From what I've read about this one, it doesn't.

*Sigh* Talking about a harem manga getting licensed just makes me reflect on my wish of seeing The World God Only Knows brought over to the west. Sadly, that probably won't happen.

Oh well, guess I'll just have to wait and see if anyone decides to review the series when Seven Seas releases the first volume.
Broly The Saiyan

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 11:58 am Reply with quote
Ali07 wrote:
Broly The Saiyan wrote:
Ali07 wrote:

Well, if it is only illegal inside Japan...doesn't Seven Seas licensing this mean that checking it out online now should be considered illegal?

Also, from the description to the comments I've been able to find, there is little said that makes me see anything that breaks the mold of a harem. Which, is why I was asking someone who has read the series to give examples why they were saying that it isn't, in fact, a harem series that we've seen many times.

Just wonder why you couldn't back up your claim. Anyone can come in and tell me I'm wrong with how I have perceived this series. But, for me, harems have to have some sort of hook to grab me. From what I've read about this one, it doesn't.

*Sigh* Talking about a harem manga getting licensed just makes me reflect on my wish of seeing The World God Only Knows brought over to the west. Sadly, that probably won't happen.

Oh well, guess I'll just have to wait and see if anyone decides to review the series when Seven Seas releases the first volume.

15 years ago the world discovered magic as well as mythical beings (basically beings from various legends) in another dimension. Humankind learned to summon these dangerous mythical beings and use their power to great effect. Seven countries formed contracts with these "gods" and gained their alligence as a result. Gods will chose their summoners on their 14th birthday and give them a stigma. Schools have been set up to train summoners and magical swordsman (basically bodyguards that give the summoners time to cast their spell) as a result. 15 years later after the finding of magic Kazuki Hayashizaki is chosen as a summoner and given a stigma to indicate that. This is surprising since males aren't chosen as summoners due to their low amount of mana compared to females. As the first male to be a summoner Kazuki is under a lot of scrutiny by almost everyone. To complicate matters his sister (who's a magical swordsman) is against him going into summoner school to train there as a summoner. Because summoners and magical swordsman have a cat mouse thing going on where summoners look down on magical swordsman as inferior so his sister naturally is against him going there. She'll stop him even if it means going to war. Kazuki however is determined to thrive in summoner school and have already determined to give it his all. Even if he's the lowest ranked student (ranked E) and his fellow students intend to demean him he'll prove himself as the strongest summoner

Based on that description you can understand what makes it different than most harem since after all most harem manga have little to no story. also it is not illegal to view the manga since the chapters are already out and have not been taken down it is safe and legal if it wasn't seven seas or someone would have said so.
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 12:29 pm Reply with quote
Broly The Saiyan wrote:
... also it is not illegal to view the manga since the chapters are already out and have not been taken down it is safe and legal if it wasn't seven seas or someone would have said so.

It IS illegal, it's not like copyrights suddenly disappear somewhere simply because the rights-holders don't bother to pursue violations online...

That being said, this being a relatively recent manga I expect Seven Seas to keep apace with the original release, however you wouldn't exactly be the first person to read latest chapters online while waiting for the official releases (to name a few SS series I'm using that modus operandi on; Sacred Blacksmith, Monster Musume, Dragonar...). If what you read interests enough for you to consider getting the official release later then by all means, view away... Cool

Perhaps I'll check this out later as well, but right now, too much eagerness to check out original works of anime adaptations have left me with a rather huge backlog (and the amount of shows per seasons lately isn't helping...).
Ali07

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 6:16 pm Reply with quote
Broly The Saiyan wrote:
Schools have been set up to train summoners and magical swordsman (basically bodyguards that give the summoners time to cast their spell) as a result.
-snip-
She'll stop him even if it means going to war.
-snip-
Based on that description you can understand what makes it different than most harem since after all most harem manga have little to no story.

These were the two parts that stood out for me. I don't think I've seen an action harem where there is a bodyguard class involved. And, the extent that the sister is willing to go is more extreme than ones I've seen before.

In saying that, it is kind of disappointing that the MC isn't in the swordsman class, because I've seen a lot of series where the girls are the ones that protect the MC for the majority of the time. If he were a swordsman, he'd be the one that is meant to do the protecting.

And, I've got to say you're being unfair on some of the harems that would be similar to this in saying they have little to no story.

There are similarities between this and other battle harem series. The Irregular at Magic High School has the magic school, classes being looked down upon, and a MC that was (initially) looked down upon until it was proven that he was superior.

Infinite Stratos has the sister being against her brother joining in what has usually been the realm for females, though she wasn't as against it as the sister in this. IS also has the MC be the first male to be able to wield the armor.

Thanks for taking the time to go through some of the story, as it did shed some light on a couple of different aspects. Guess it'll really come down to the execution. I'll keep an eye on this series, as after a couple of volumes have been released, it should become easier to find out more about it as there'll be some reviews out there to read through.
Broly The Saiyan

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 6:42 pm Reply with quote
Ali07 wrote:
Broly The Saiyan wrote:
Schools have been set up to train summoners and magical swordsman (basically bodyguards that give the summoners time to cast their spell) as a result.
-snip-
She'll stop him even if it means going to war.
-snip-
Based on that description you can understand what makes it different than most harem since after all most harem manga have little to no story.

These were the two parts that stood out for me. I don't think I've seen an action harem where there is a bodyguard class involved. And, the extent that the sister is willing to go is more extreme than ones I've seen before.

In saying that, it is kind of disappointing that the MC isn't in the swordsman class, because I've seen a lot of series where the girls are the ones that protect the MC for the majority of the time. If he were a swordsman, he'd be the one that is meant to do the protecting.

And, I've got to say you're being unfair on some of the harems that would be similar to this in saying they have little to no story.

There are similarities between this and other battle harem series. The Irregular at Magic High School has the magic school, classes being looked down upon, and a MC that was (initially) looked down upon until it was proven that he was superior.

Infinite Stratos has the sister being against her brother joining in what has usually been the realm for females, though she wasn't as against it as the sister in this. IS also has the MC be the first male to be able to wield the armor.

Thanks for taking the time to go through some of the story, as it did shed some light on a couple of different aspects. Guess it'll really come down to the execution. I'll keep an eye on this series, as after a couple of volumes have been released, it should become easier to find out more about it as there'll be some reviews out there to read through.

even if it has similarities what mattters is how they handle it and from what i read from the manga it is not like mahouka maybe like infinite stratos on the sister part but in this manga the mc is not a wimp and does happen to use swordsman skills but oh well
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2