• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Kings of Reon

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blatch
Thread Killer

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 8:03 pm Reply with quote
I love that Discotek styled the Fatal Fury cover like the case to a Neo Geo game.
Brainchild129

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 8:56 pm Reply with quote
I was going to say the very same thing, Blatch! It's a very nice and fitting touch.
Student no.0

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 9:20 pm Reply with quote
I have absolutely nothing to say about the other two, but heck yeah Parasyte is awesome! It's the only thing I'm watching this season on a week-to-week (I'm putting Yona of the Dawn on hold for a bit) basis.

Also:
cdn01.animenewsnetwork.com/images/cms/shelf-life/81136/p1010004.jpg

Gosh it pains me to see that someone still has R.O.D the TV. Man I wish I didn't miss out on getting it before Aniplex went OOP on it...
eyeresist

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 9:35 pm Reply with quote
I hope we get Parasyte on DVD - sounds like my kind of show!
jymmy

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 9:55 pm Reply with quote
Ah, I thought Yuushibu was pretty funny. I wouldn't rate it very highly, I guess, but I do have much fonder memories of it than shows like Kyoukai no Kanata or Gifuu Doudou!!, all three of which I rated the same on Myanimelist. Fino especially was an enjoyable character. The archetype had been done practically to death, but I still found her amusing.
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 10:02 pm Reply with quote
Student no.0 wrote:
Gosh it pains me to see that someone still has R.O.D the TV. Man I wish I didn't miss out on getting it before Aniplex went OOP on it...

I skipped the AoA Blu-ray set since it was just upscaled from SD masters. While I enjoyed the process of putting my set of the DVDs together after they went OOP (bargain bin items that came from my old regular comic shop, eBay), I'm also kinda glad I don't have to do that for most series I'm interested in.

Still need a copy of the original OVA series, though. Keep putting that off.
jr240483

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 10:07 pm Reply with quote
Blatch wrote:
I love that Discotek styled the Fatal Fury cover like the case to a Neo Geo game.

that's an understatement . its like some of them are probably fans of the old neo geo / snk games. too bad that ova extra didn't had an english dub though.

also i am not surprised at all that yu-shibu got the perishable. it's been the mo since the old shelf life where harem series or fanservice series not named love hina , Queens Blade or high school dxd get sent to the perishable category instantly.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
jmfsilenthill

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 10:19 pm Reply with quote
Really enjoying Parasyte, it and Shirobako are the only things in following this season. I have to say though, that opening theme song is some pile of auto tuned bs.
Covnam

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 10:24 pm Reply with quote
Parasyte looks really interesting, but is it censored? I'd rather wait if it is.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 10:33 pm Reply with quote
As a victim of the virulent job market, I found I could relate to Yu-Sibu, including the breasts {don't ask} and custom service aspect.

In short, life is weird.

I didn't watch the initial streaming because the snobs thought it was so beneath them {...and still do...} but I found it to be very refreshing, whereas The Devil is a Part Timer took the service sector job market as a joke, its main joke.

That one may be the better show but at least Yu-sibu has something to say. And has a lot of fun saying it.
Student no.0

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 10:46 pm Reply with quote
fuuma_monou wrote:
Student no.0 wrote:

I skipped the AoA Blu-ray set since it was just upscaled from SD masters. While I enjoyed the process of putting my set of the DVDs together after they went OOP (bargain bin items that came from my old regular comic shop, eBay), I'm also kinda glad I don't have to do that for most series I'm interested in.

What sucks most is that I can't even sream it off CR where I live sadly, making it harder to justify myself to blind buy the left over Geneon singles while putting other things in my personal wishlist off for later. I might have to settle for used MangaVideo's release of OVAs though. I've only seen one episode of the TV series a long while back, but I'm so surprised and disappointed that something about a decade old could still look that great and still not be in R1 print. I fell immediately in love with the dub. Gonna have to decide soon before it's all gone for good though.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 10:46 pm Reply with quote
Bamboo wrote:
If you're not currently watching Parasyte, then you're missing out on one of the best shows of the season.

Parasyte is more than that. It is the clear number one candidate to be the best anime series of 2014. To me, other than the well crafted but too short Noragami and the very entertaining Chaika, this year has not produced any great, new show.

I hope Parasyte continues to be as strong as its first 1/4, and it ends up being the best from 2014.
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 10:54 pm Reply with quote
Student no.0 wrote:

I've got the Geneon ROD the TV set + art box myself.

How Aniplex has handled thier self distribution should be CRIMINAL.
navycherub

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 11:12 pm Reply with quote
Covnam wrote:
Parasyte looks really interesting, but is it censored? I'd rather wait if it is.

It isn't.
FlamingFirewire

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 11:15 pm Reply with quote
fuuma_monou wrote:
Student no.0 wrote:

They might have been SD upscales, but they did look noticeably (a little) better than the DVDs from what I've seen of comparison shots. I picked it up when it was on clearance but haven't opened it yet... the real shame is that the ENG audio wasn't 5.1 like the DVD and didn't get a lossless track like the JPN audio. Pretty lame considering the stellar dub for the show + OVA. They also left out the ENG commentary tracks from the DVDs for some reason too... At least the packaging was really nice and cost less than trying to collect each individual DVD along with the artbox...

It really is criminal though that the show is not in print in some fashion on DVD/BD right now though.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3