• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Manga reader collectors question

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Desertking22

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 12:02 am Reply with quote
I'm one that loves to buy manga and read them and love them, but a friend gave me some manwha, do any of you include manwha or other forms with your manga collection?
zawa113

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 2:46 am Reply with quote
I personally do. I think manhwa tends to be overlooked, I remember when I first got into it, I saw it as "fake manga", much like all of Tokyopop's OEL junk (it didn't help that they published both, and the published some bad manhwa too, as well as some good stuff), but now, some of my favorite titles are manhwa and I only want more. I don't really see a tremendous need to separate them though. Partly because I lack the room, sure, but the only reason I tend to separate out American comics is because they're radically different sizes than most manga (I do separate my oversized manga from my normal sized manga though, I only have so many shelves that properly fit oversized manga/manhwa). When I talk about what I'm reading on here though, I'll also include manhwa.
RAmmsoldat

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 5:47 am Reply with quote
I dont actually have any but if i did id throw it in with the rest of the manga. I started collecting before right to left was the standard so it wouldn't be totally alien to have some left to right books on the shelf with the manga either but i generally dont tend to read much manwha.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 9:07 am Reply with quote
@Desertking22

Why wouldn't you?? They are all comic books. The country of origin is not a significant issue. If you enjoy them, read them and keep them with the others. If you don't care for them, pass them on as your friend did.

I have manga, manhwa, and US comics all together. I also have collections of US comic strips and some of the OEL stuff as well. It is all part of the same collection.

The main thing about manhwa is that there is very little being translated and published in the US these days. I can think of only two ongoing series at the moment, Goong and The Bride of the Water God. Also an awful lot of that published earlier was unfinished in English. Of course there was a lot of manga unfinished as well.
zawa113

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 9:38 am Reply with quote
^There's some other ongoing ones too, SevenSeas has Witch Buster and Yen started Void's Enigmatic Mansion too. But yeah, there's really not a whole lot... gotta go with what I can get!
Touma

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 10:32 am Reply with quote
I do not differentiate between manga, manhua, and manhwa.

I also include some American graphic novels, such as Amazing Agent Luna from Seven Seas and Girl Genius from Airship Entertainment.
But that is just a subjective judgment made on a case-by-case basis. I read very few graphic novels that do not come from manga publishers so there are not many American graphic novels for me to consider.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 11:25 am Reply with quote
@Touma
Manhua, is that the correct term for comics of Chinese origin? I wasn't sure. I do have some of them too but they are even more limited than manhwa.

@classicalzawa
I missed those. Previews is not real good at providing that sort of information and no one locally carries them. I finally got around to cataloging my stuff. I have 64 manhwa titles for a total of 349 volumes. It is depressing how many are incomplete though.
Touma

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 12:16 pm Reply with quote
Manhua is from China.
As you might expect a lot of it has been written, but as far as I know very little has ever been licensed and translated in the US.

The only title that I can think of that I have read is Real/Fake Princess, which was published by Dr. Master.
And I really do not remember anything about it.

I had been thinking that I had read, and even owned, more of it, but that does not seem to be the case.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
lys

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 3:09 pm Reply with quote
I shelve my manga collection by Japanese publisher, with Hakusensha, Shueisha, Kodansha in their own groupings (the big pubs are further subdivided into shoujo/shounen). Manhwa and oel get their own sections too, but still in the same shelving area as the rest.

I do shelve my other graphic novels separately, partly because they vary so much in size and shape (and series length) that it doesn't make sense to shelve them the same way as the more consistent manga/manhwa format. I also put some of my "fancy" manga releases—hardcover, artbooks, D&Q's Shigeru Mizuki books—with the graphic novels.
st_owly

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 4:35 pm Reply with quote
My manhwa is on a separate shelf, but that's not because of its origin. It's simply because most of it is A5 size rather than normal manga size, so it's easier to keep it together rather than try and shelve it with normal sized manga.

After Goong and Bride of the Water God finish, I'll be very surprised if any more manhwa gets released in the US tbh. I don't think it sells very well.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 4:40 pm Reply with quote
@Touma
Real/Fake Princess was complete at 5 volumes. Dr Master also brought out Divine Melody by the same author (I-Haun) but left it incomplete at five volumes. Yen Press issued a one volume The History of the West Wing which sounds as if it should be about the White House.

Then of course something called HK Comics issued a 12 volume comic adaption of Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon. I vaguely remember another publisher being involved but all of my copies are by HK Comics. I haven't looked at in a while, but as I remember it covered a different portion of the book than was in the movie.

I also have a single issue of a comic book by something called Jade Comics which is rather older. I picked it out of a back issue bin because it had a really great dragon on the cover.

@st_owly
I tend to agree that we will not see a lot of manhwa. That is kind of a shame really. It has different artistic conventions which makes it look different and the different culture from which it issues gives it a different flavor. Ceres Celestial Legend and Faeries Landing are both obviously based on the same fable but are seriously different in execution. Also I'd really like to see more of I.N.V.U., not going to happen though.
Ensof

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 6:05 pm Reply with quote
I file the manhwa and OEL in with the manga. The larger format that most manhwa comes in isn't an issue for me, since my collection is mainly seinen which is often released as A5 (such as Viz Signature titles). Also the line between manga and manhwa can get blurry at times. For example, March Story was written and drawn by Koreans, but first published in a Japanese magazine. I shelve the outsized books on top of my cabinet, alongside my modest anime collection.

I keep the western graphic novels separate from the manga. Firstly they tend to be much taller and take up more vertical space, reducing the amount of shelves I can fit into the cabinet. Secondly I file them by author, while I sort the manga by title. I've considered reorganising the manga by author but since my collection is 1000+ books it just seems like too much of a hassle. I also separate out the American/British books from the European books, as the latter are frequently even taller.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1