• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Yo-kai Watch Film Beats Out Disney's Big Hero 6 at Japanese Box Office

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bigivel

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 7:51 pm Reply with quote
Awesome, it made almost the same as the opening of One Piece Film Z(16 Million dollars) with the 13.58 Million.
Now we only need to see if it can keep this pace in the next weeks.
mdo7

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 7:54 pm Reply with quote
This is rather mind-blowing. Shocked

Well at least nobody on this forum will question Yo-kai Watch's popularity in Japan after seeing this article.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 8:16 pm Reply with quote
In Japan's case, I can only see Yōkai Watch getting bigger as the months pass by. Smile
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 8:18 pm Reply with quote
I am not surprised a film that has regular commercial promotion during its weekly anime beats out a Disney film that effectively isn't Frozen 2.
shiranehito

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 8:27 pm Reply with quote
It was a big shock when Big Hero 6 beat Nolan's Interstellar. And now this. spoiler[Funnier in hindsight that the villain in BH6 was named Yokai.]
EricJ2

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 8:31 pm Reply with quote
Yokai Watch is beating ANYTHING in Japan right now, even Frozen--
Apart from cute robots, I didn't expect BH6 to get that big a reception in Japan (although the Incredibles did well), but Yokaimania right now is even less of a surprise.

(So bring it over here, already, and let us get a look at the freakin' thing!)
Egan Loo

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 8:39 pm Reply with quote
bigivel wrote:
Awesome, it made almost the same as the opening of One Piece Film Z(16 Million dollars) with the 13.58 Million.

Yo-kai Watch (1,628,893,000 yen) had a much higher opening than One Piece Film Z ( 1,372,050,000 yen) in Japanese yen. The difference in dollars is due to the lower yen-dollar conversion rate now. Yo-kai Watch topped Howl's Moving Castle (1.4 billion yen), the Japanese film with the highest opening until now.
Kutsu

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 9:41 pm Reply with quote
Egan Loo wrote:
bigivel wrote:

Yo-kai Watch (1,628,893,000 yen) had a much higher opening than One Piece Film Z ( 1,372,050,000 yen) in Japanese yen. The difference in dollars is due to the lower yen-dollar conversion rate now. Yo-kai Watch topped Howl's Moving Castle (1.4 billion yen), the Japanese film with the highest opening until now.

Indeed. To put this into perspective, Yokai Watch just managed the 2nd highest ever opening weekend in admissions falling short of 'The Matrix Reloaded' by only 1,828 admissions and the 9th highest opening weekend ever in revenue in yen (average ticket price on the low end because of all the kids). Furthermore, as you've just rightly said, it just got the all-time opening record for a local film in both yen and admissions.

(always use local currencies when comparing two films in the same market, it makes absolutely no sense to compare two japanese films' box office performances in Japan using dollars)
Drac

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 9:53 pm Reply with quote
I bet Disney didn't think their old fashioned quote unquote love letter to Japan would get trounced like this but here we are. Yokai Watch was even in 132 less theaters compared to BH6.
ParkerALx

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 11:53 pm Reply with quote
Egan Loo wrote:
bigivel wrote:

Are those figures adjusted for inflation? If not, Howl's Moving Castle might still technically be on top in terms of the comparative worth.
Veniamin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 12:50 am Reply with quote
I hope kids in the west grow up with this like we did with Pokemon. hell, I'm excited for Yokai Watch next year.
mdo7

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 12:58 am Reply with quote
Veniamin wrote:
I hope kids in the west grow up with this like we did with Pokemon. hell, I'm excited for Yokai Watch next year.

Well I'm not sure if Yo-Kai Watch can replicate the same success like Pokemon.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 1:13 am Reply with quote
Drac wrote:
I bet Disney didn't think their old fashioned quote unquote love letter to Japan would get trounced like this but here we are. Yokai Watch was even in 132 less theaters compared to BH6.

Wasn't one of the main complaints about Big Hero 6 was it removed the all-Asian cast of the original comic book? If so, it doesn't sound like much of a love-letter if you remove it's original Asian basis.

-Stuart Smith
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 1:22 am Reply with quote
Drac: FWIW, BH6 still had a respectable opening over there. But yeah, they were probably hoping it'd be another Frozen. Of course, that had mass female appeal. Not a lot of hits like that very often, and I guess you could argue it's Disney's Titanic. But still, as I've pointed out, why watch an homage to anime, when they already got the real thing in Japan? Even Pacific Rim underperformed there for the same reason. [The latter did better in China.]

Last edited by GATSU on Tue Dec 23, 2014 3:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Egan Loo

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 1:24 am Reply with quote
ParkerALx wrote:
Egan Loo wrote:

Are those figures adjusted for inflation? If not, Howl's Moving Castle might still technically be on top in terms of the comparative worth.

Prices in Japan have risen less than 5 percent overall in the last decade. In some years, Japan experienced negative inflation, or deflation.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3