• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Durarara!!×2

Goto page   Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 4:46 pm Reply with quote
A very fun show imo and I'm pretty glad to see DRRR return. So far, Celty remains my favorite with her role so far while the latest episode with the sisters also made me laugh more than I think I should.

Definitely a decent start but nothing groundbreaking yet. I hope it improves.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
justsomeaccount

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 4:55 pm Reply with quote
I agree, these episodes still haven't captured totally the introspective feeling that the first season had, and the way Shinra was used as narrator was very poor and lame (LITERALLY breaking the 4th wall refering to the audience is too much, and it wasn't even necessary to order the events of this episode), but there's still enough material to be intrigued, although not excited yet because there's still nothing to exactly be concerned.

I liked the idea of the sisters explained by Izaya, of being both also far from a normal human psycho like Izaya but who modify their personalities purposely to be able to complement each other and not other reason, even if some traits don't make sense with others. It's a fun mock-up to the classic "two characters must be the opposite in personalities to complement each other" and I wonder what are they going to do with them.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 5:00 pm Reply with quote
Episodes 1-2 grade: B+

I am so happy that Durarara!! is back. The very first animation frames from the first episode immediately dragged me back into this wonderful and mysterious world populated by all kind of weirdos. And yes, those sisters are a riot.

For now these first two episodes have been an exciting mess. The storyline is all over the place, but I trust that my most anticipated show of 2015 will eventually arrive to a concrete and neat place.
Videogamep

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 5:06 pm Reply with quote
This may have been a bit of a slow start, but the first season was the same way. The only real issue I had with these episodes was Shira breaking the fourth wall, which was pretty unnecessary. Still, Izaya's sisters might me some of the most psychotically entertaining characters introduced so far (and considering how much fun Shizuo and Izaya are, that's really saying something). Overall, I'm willing to give this season a couple of episodes to get back into the groove of things, especially if the payoff is as good as last season.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Durga

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 5:11 pm Reply with quote
I'm iffy on the twins at the moment. Oh good, another example of messed-up incestuous little sisters in anime. Not to mention that Izaya and Mairu share voice actors with Araragi and Karen from Monogatari, so I can't help but flash back to THAT particular incestuous family. I trust the writer of DRRR more than I trust the Monogatari writer, so maybe the twins will be more than just creepy, but we'll see.
Theozilla

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 5:14 pm Reply with quote
While I agree that the third arc from the first season was the weakest, I wouldn't ever say that it was bad (still good IMO but not as good as the previous arcs that came before). And while I do concede that the main "normal" trio are some of the less colorful characters, I disagree that they're the weakest characters of the show (I personally find them to be middle-of-the-road to strong in their character writing).

I do agree the pacing for the first two episodes hasn't been quite as seamless as it usually is, it didn't bother me as much. Other than that I pretty much agree with the rest of the review's content (though I would personally give the first two episodes a B+ rating).
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 5:19 pm Reply with quote
I've seen Durarara!! a few months ago, so it's still somewhat fresh in the my head, and I recall that it used the same narrative of flashback, present-day, flashback. flash-even-more-back, present-day quite a lot. (I think there were a few 4th wall breaking as well, IIRC. Mostly from Kishtani Shinra.)

The first 2 episodes were heavy on the preamble, as was the 2010 show, and it got into a good pace around episode 3 or 4, so I'm not too worried about the pacing in this show, either.

It was very pleasant to see those various references of other animes, mangas and LVs (Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei poster right on the van's door driven by Nakamura Yuuichi's character, Kadota Kyouhei Wink )
Via_01

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 7:17 pm Reply with quote
I don't know if to give both episodes a B or a B-. It's Durarara, the characters are fun and the plot threads seem to be heading towards an interesting climax, but at the moment, it hasn't shown us anything mind blowing or special to deserve more.

But that's alright. That's how Durarara works. Some episodes may be slow or show several scenes with characters doing their own thing, but at the end it all comes together into something cool. It may not always be an excellent conclussion (the Yellow Scarves arc, for example), but I trust it'll be good.

Regarding the school-trio: some say they are the least interesting, but I personally have a lot of fun when they are around, and seeing what happens to them is often more interesting for me than with others. I loooove Shizuo, but we all know what's going to happen if he's even threatened by a gang or attacked by a cursed sword. In that regard, I enjoy trying to anticipate how the school-trio, and Mikado in particular, will react to that.

Another reason I like them is because they didn't have their interesting qualities from the beginning: they either developed them through the course of the show or they were revealed at the right moment. And unlike most of the cast members, all of them CAN change and grow to be different characters. I expect to see some real growth on Mikado, growth that the likes of Celty, Izaya or Shizuo can't get, because they've already gone through a lot of development prior to the show's beginning.

Oh, one last thing. Orihara sisters? I love them. I want to see more of them.
rheiders

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 9:07 pm Reply with quote
The first two episodes have been a mess, but a thoroughly enjoyable mess and one that, given previous experience with the series, I trust will be cleverly worked into a cohesive whole eventually. And once that happens I trust it'll be really cool. In the meantime, I've enjoyed being reintroduced to the older characters I've come to love, and the new characters seem promising so far. I'm curious what Aoba's deal is going to be and I already really like the sisters. I too am pretty excited if this is going to be an Izaya and Shizuo-focused arc.

The narrative device with Shinra breaking the fourth wall was really lame though. I could feel him narrating the light novel and it was really annoying. The afro dude is pretty anti-funny too.
Agent355

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 9:10 pm Reply with quote
Are we supposed to hate the twins? They seem completely innocuous to me. Maybe I'm immune to otaku-bait anime incest, but I'm actually so glad they're not obsessed with their damn older brother like every other anime imoto, I don't really care that they might be into one another--and I say *might*, because it occurs to me they're probably just putting on an act ala Kaoru & Hikaru of Ouran. They are obviously obsessed with Shizuo's movie star brother, though, but there's nothing out of the ordinary about young teens crushing on pop idols. So far the twins have been the most interesting characters in the first two episodes. It's fun to see characters like Celty and Shinra, but they haven't really done anything yet.

As for the high school trio, how come Anri always gets lumped together with those boring boys? Girl has a cursed sword in her body. Her arc was my favorite in the 2010 show! I was glad she got some plot attention in ep 2, even if it was brief (when Shinra Sr. confronted her). More Anri is a good thing!
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 11:12 pm Reply with quote
Hope wrote:
--agh, I can't keep track! It's a good thing Durarara!!'s tangled plot-web is driven by such wildly entertaining characters, and that's always what keeps us coming back.

Oh thank goodness. I thought it was just me, since I had such a hard time sorting out the first series. Reading the comments here, which I will certainly depend on in the future for help, tells me it really is a mess so far. But stuff like Shinra in the shadow ball makes it worth it. Very Happy
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 1:28 am Reply with quote
It's good to have this back. And I'm also the same, Celty's my favorite so it was good to see her (and Shinra) again heh.

As well as the other crazy colorful characters of this show.

Yeah, I'm not really sure how we are supposed to be reacting to the twins yet lol.

I also can't wait until this gets dubbed, I'm looking forward to hearing the dub actors get to do these parts again.
Videogamep

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 2:11 am Reply with quote
DangerMouse wrote:

I also can't wait until this gets dubbed, I'm looking forward to hearing the dub actors get to do these parts again.

Same here. I'll probably rewatch it once the dub's released. The first season had a lot of really talented VAs involved.
mooneater

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 6:29 am Reply with quote
it's DURARARA again. they haven't change anything compare to the 1st season. even the OP and ED have the same animation. but i kinda like that. DURARARA is a show that lives up to it's uniqueness and they should keep it that way. and the slow start is not new in the show since there are so many characters and the show wants to give all of them a fair amount of development. its still one of my favorites and i can't wait for the next episode.
peachsncreamsoda

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 6:58 am Reply with quote
Videogamep wrote:
DangerMouse wrote:

Same here. I'll probably rewatch it once the dub's released. The first season had a lot of really talented VAs involved.

Ditto! The dub grew on me!
I friggin' just LOVE this show- hearing it was getting another season was probably the best news I'd heard in a while (imo these past few years save a couple good shows have been slow and boring :/) -never seen it coming!!
And now that it's out.... makes my Saturdays mean something now Anime hyper !!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page   Next
Page 1 of 14