• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Viz's Shonen Jump Adds My Hero Academia

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 1:32 pm Reply with quote
Oh good news. I might considering purchasing some volumes in the future with the growing popularity. Really curious to see how many chapters/volumes this will get in the end.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
CrowLia

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 1:36 pm Reply with quote
Does anyone know how the sales/magazine ranks are going for this one? I've seen some buzz around it and I wonder if it'll be Jump's Next Big Thing
BrainBlow

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 1:40 pm Reply with quote
YEEEES!!
I need this manga in my physical collection!

CrowLia wrote:
Does anyone know how the sales/magazine ranks are going for this one? I've seen some buzz around it and I wonder if it'll be Jump's Next Big Thing

It's regularly in the top 3 within the magazine ratings, quite frequently landing at #1.
The volumes are selling really well also for such a new series.
Cyclone1993

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 1:40 pm Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:

It usually ranks in the top 5. The top 5 usually consists of One Piece, Soma, My Hero Academia, Assassination Classroom, and the last series changes quite frequently.

BNHA is certainly doing better than Barrage.

I'm surprised it took them this long to release it! it has quite a few chapters out, considering the series that they have been licensing within the first few chapters tend to end pretty quickly.
Sakurazuka_Reika

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 2:07 pm Reply with quote
Even though I never read it, I am familiar with the manga due to the hype it generated.

The impression I got from the article was that it is going to be serialized in the english version of Shonen Jump, not that it is getting released as volumes. Or does that happen automatically with all the series in the magazine?
Animeking1108

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 2:09 pm Reply with quote
I see this becoming the new "Naruto."... I mean as in the series everybody is going to cosplay after the anime gets made, not as in it's disappointing final half.
Somewhere

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 2:54 pm Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:

Magazine ranks are already covered. So, I'll answer sales.
Of the WSJ series starting since 2008, My Hero Academia has had the fourth best selling (within first few weeks) vol 1 (behind Assassination Classroom, Bakuman, and Shokugeki no Souma) by hitting 137k after 4 weeks, as well as the third best selling vol 2 (behind AC and Bakuman; pulled ahead of Souma) by hitting 200k after 2 weeks.
It's a hit right now, and it's very likely that this is the next WSJ star in line after Souma.

Sakurazuka_Reika wrote:
The impression I got from the article was that it is going to be serialized in the english version of Shonen Jump, not that it is getting released as volumes. Or does that happen automatically with all the series in the magazine?

Digital volumes tend to be automatic, while print volumes are more case-by-case. John Bae did say in the comments section for this issue that they're working on vols 1 and 2.
Hiro94

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 3:29 pm Reply with quote
I bought a weekly jump from Japan in December and this was on the front cover. It looks pretty interesting glad viz picked it up.
CallumKeyblade

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 4:07 pm Reply with quote
Wonderful news! Physical volumes asap please Viz. Don't like starting a series from anything other than the 1st chapter so will hold off on reading the WSJ chapters until the first GNs are released.

Adding Food Wars!, Gakkyu Hotei & My Hero Academia has doubled the amount of weekly series I read in WSJ. Great recent additions.
noblesse oblige

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 4:18 pm Reply with quote
Doesn't sound like anything special really, and Barrage wasn't for me either. How high is the probability that this becomes a long running series in the English Jump?
CallumKeyblade

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 4:30 pm Reply with quote
noblesse oblige wrote:
Doesn't sound like anything special really, and Barrage wasn't for me either. How high is the probability that this becomes a long running series in the English Jump?

Unless it has a sudden nosedive in popularity, it looks like it is going to be around for a long time. It has rankings & sales similar to early volumes of AssClass & Food Wars! which bodes well for its future.
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 4:36 pm Reply with quote
The art style is quite "unique," makes it a bit hard for me to get into. Story sounds interesting, though, and it seems to gain favorable mentions.
Somewhere

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 4:39 pm Reply with quote
So far, once a series is truly picked up for serialization in the digital English WSJ (that is, not a 3 chapter trial run as part of the Jump Start initiative), it stays there until it's finished/canceled in Japan.

Now, the probability of this series lasting a while (couple of years at least) in Japan? I think that it's fairly high.
Magazing rankings can be volatile and I'm not going to predict how well it'll poll in the future; never know whenever the next star comes along to make the top even more competitive. But it's the volume sales that I see reason for life in. If it maintains its current sales numbers (not even grow, just maintain), that alone should be reason to keep it around for a while. And volume sales are very, very unlikely to significantly decline within the first couple of years at least. Too early for fatigue to set in. People who are buying volumes are invested in the series and don't just randomly drop out of the fandom quickly.
Nakurawari

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 4:57 pm Reply with quote
CallumKeyblade wrote:
noblesse oblige wrote:

Unless it has a sudden nosedive in popularity, it looks like it is going to be around for a long time. It has rankings & sales similar to early volumes of AssClass & Food Wars! which bodes well for its future.

It has also beaten One Piece in the Weekly Shonen Jump rankings some weeks, so its future is very very promising.
digidragon
ANN Past Staff

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 5:15 pm Reply with quote
CallumKeyblade wrote:
Wonderful news! Physical volumes asap please Viz. Don't like starting a series from anything other than the 1st chapter so will hold off on reading the WSJ chapters until the first GNs are released.

Next week's WSJ will have the first chapter. Not sure about everything in between that and present chapters.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2