• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Galaxy Angel Rune Sub.DVD 1

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ryvius213

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 11:03 pm Reply with quote
I'm glad BV-USA decided to cut the MSRP price, but including only 1 episode instead of the original 2 doesn't help. Confused
DKL

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 11:10 pm Reply with quote
I was actually under the impression that they cut the price as well...

But, what's happening is that they get you to buy the first disc for cheap...

Then they jack up the price for the next disc (and 2 episodes); like... it's 30-40$ or something.

I mean... this is assuming that nothing has changed since last time...
DuelLadyS

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 12:07 am Reply with quote
I'm still in the same boat I was in back when this got announced: I love GA. I'd love to own this. But there is no way in h-e-double-hockey-sticks I'm paying $40 a DVD (or $20 for a 1-episode DVD.)

When the price falls to my usual range, I'll buy it. And not a day sooner.
teh*darkness

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 2:16 am Reply with quote
I honestly wonder how long it'll take until BV-USA figures out this isn't going to work...
And I don't want to hear from anyone that I wouldn't buy any of their series anyway... from the animation quality alone of Wings of Rean, I'd buy it, sub-only, if there was a decent episode count, at a NORMAL US price point...
But thinking they can come in, offer less episodes, higher price, no dub, and expect people to buy it (???) was, I think, the dumbest move I've ever seen a company make...

And as for GA Rune, leaving the censor bars on the DVD, so they have to be disabled with a 'passcode'? That's a bit gimmicky, imho...
icepick314

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 4:24 am Reply with quote
i just got Galaxy Angel AA and loving that DVD...

i've always been fan of Galaxy Angel and wanted to pick up Galaxy Angel Rune but the price just sucks ass....cheapest you can probably pick up is at $16-18 but at one 20 minute episode and one extra concert footage does not justify in my opinion...

at $10 i can see but i'm hating BV's US pricing scheme....this is NOT Japan and can't price the same way as Japanese market....

i've gotten both Patlabor movie releases and those were at $60 but worth it because of the packaging, great dubbing with 5.1 audio, and they were movies...

i hope BV see the low sales and re-price their titles to reflect US market....
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 4:52 am Reply with quote
DKL wrote:

Then they jack up the price for the next disc (and 2 episodes); like... it's 30-40$ or something.

I mean... this is assuming that nothing has changed since last time...

It's actually $50 for the next volume. I bought the bricks for Galaxy Angel, Galaxy Angel Z, and Galaxy Angel A (1025 minutes) for a total of $60.

I also absolutely love both Patlabor box sets (perhaps the most gorgeous looking DVD releases ever) and did end up buying the 30 minute Freedom DVD. I refuse to spend over $10 per episode (22-30 minute) unless it comes in a nice tin and a bonus disc (like the Hellsing or GITS SSS releases), comes with books, OST or is in high definition.

I noticed that TRSI just put up Wings of Honneamise on both Blu-Ray and HD-DVD for September 11th at $80. I also noticed that the Japanese version comes out to $79.22 with tax and is being released on July 27th. Is there a reason why I should wait for the US release since the shipping cost is in my opinion worth getting it later this month? Granted TRSI does have a pre-order discount and free shipping, so I probably get the domestic realease later this year.

Even more importantly is Patlabor also being released on July 27th, Ghost in the Shell, Steam Boy, Jin-Roh and Patlabor 2 in August. Does the US version have anything that the Japanese versions don't besides a later or unannounced release date? I think I'll buy these in August, since they don't even have release dates for the US and they won't really be much cheaper when they do.. What is BVUSA thinking?
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 10:53 am Reply with quote
Ryvius213 wrote:
I'm glad BV-USA decided to cut the MSRP price, but including only 1 episode instead of the original 2 doesn't help. Confused

The first DVD is cheaper, but it costs much more per episode than the future volumes do. In either case, they are horribly overpriced.
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 11:39 am Reply with quote
I just don't understand. Why do they keep doing this? Is there an article out about why they choose to do this? I understand that in the Japanese market they'll snatch it up like melon pon but here it doesn't work that way.

You'd think after the lackluster sales on the other sub only releases they'd get it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Tyrenol

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 11:45 am Reply with quote
Seriously, though...

Galaxy Angel, a screwy and inconsistant series as is, had been doing fine under Bandai Entertainment. (In the "Z" series, the people behind the dub had nearly done the "body/personality switch" right.)

But to give Galaxy Angel Rune to Bandai Visual (who had basically been scolded by some of the fanbase about their tactics)? With these guys catering to the high-end otaku-tachi? "Voice Actress Concerts" and "Censor Removal Gimmicks" are a really cheap replacement for English dubbing. And they should've released that show with no censors at all. Evil or Very Mad

Plus; GA Rune is basically, in Apricot's words from the Broccoli manga, the Moon that needs sunlight from the original GA series. In other words, it's a shadow of its former self in a time when cute girls are a dime a dozen.

It's disgusting how BV USA can screw this up royaly and still be considered at the service of anime fans in the US.
MJP

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 12:02 pm Reply with quote
All I care about is whether or not the censor bars do fully go away with that passcode. Anime hyper
Kaioshin_Sama

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 12:09 pm Reply with quote
I wonder if the Seiyuu concert thing is bait for the "OH! Aya Hirano is singing and I'll buy anything with Aya Hirano in it" crowd. Think about it, they spend 45 minutes with their "Goddess" and then 24 minutes with her voicing a character. Obviously the closer they get to her the higher the sales, hence the flip flop. It's basically more of the anime industry turning its back on real fans in favour of Otaku Suckers who will buy anything given the proper incentive. Cut costs while maintaining profit and maybe 15% of the people involved will win.

And by Otaku Suckers I mean the type that will buy 12 copies of the latest Aya Hirano CD just to boost sales and help their "Goddess".
Zalis116

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 12:30 pm Reply with quote
Maybe this'll be a good time for me to start renting anime, although for some strange reason when I set up an account at rentanime.com it was mysteriously erased before I was ever sent anything or billed.
Asrialys

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 12:50 pm Reply with quote
Heh, I bought the first volume at Anime Expo to get it signed by Yuuna Inamura Razz

I'll get the others once they're cheaper.
Heretic

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 12:51 pm Reply with quote
I love GA...well at least the Moon Angel Troupe. I don't know how well the new cast will fair for me, but I'd love to check it out. Unfortunately for the first time since I've started buying anime I am hindered by price.
Goodpenguin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 1:07 pm Reply with quote
britannicamoore wrote:
I just don't understand. Why do they keep doing this? Is there an article out about why they choose to do this? I understand that in the Japanese market they'll snatch it up like melon pon but here it doesn't work that way.

You'd think after the lackluster sales on the other sub only releases they'd get it.

It's a sales/target audience response (time will tell how successful) to a market where fan-subbing is prevalent. Bandai is taking the tact that rather then releasing niche material geared with current industry standard DVD episodes counts/special features/price points, it will market towards the generally 18+ fanbase (smaller numbers then the traditional 12-17 anime target audience, but a lot more disposable income).

Bandai is banking on a model similar in thought/audience to which companies ran back when I was buying VHS/laserdisc. Badai will sell, numerically, less but maximize profit at a much higher rate then a standard release disc. Hardcore fans will spend the money not just for eclectic special features, but also just to have a product most anime fans can't really afford. Fansubbing will only affect those who don't have the interest/money to purchase anyway.

One can argue if this approach will see success, but it marks the way companies will shift its sales/audience approach in an age of fan-subbing.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2