• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 17th Animator Expo Short 'Three Fallen Witnesses' Posted

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 9:36 pm Reply with quote
Is this a mystery for us viewers to solve? I can't really figure out what this short wants out of the viewers, even after watching it again understand the context and why the detectives spoke the way they did.

Also, the detectives made themselves really obvious that they're up to something, though before the hologram simulation, I thought they were time travelers.
Fronzel

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 7:43 am Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
Also, the detectives made themselves really obvious that they're up to something, though before the hologram simulation, I thought they were time travelers.

It really gave it away almost immediately. What's the point? And then, inexplicably, the detectives seem to be able to change the past as they apparently gave the culprit the idea on how to evade prosecution.

Then it changes direction in the last minute to delve into the mind of the apparent murderer. As a twist to audience expectations I don't think it works that well. You can't watch it a second time thinking of it as a character piece rather than a mystery and appreciate it in a different way; this character just isn't in it enough.

Was the character animation experimental in some way? It looked just slightly odd.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 1:10 pm Reply with quote
It looks rotoscoped to me, reminding me of A Scanner Darkly.

As they're simply running a simulation, they couldn't have possibly changed the past because it already happened. They could change the outcome of the simulation, but that'd be bad for their investigation because they wouldn't be able to get as much information as to what happened otherwise. That's why the male detective told the female one to hide when the husband entered the house. (Of course, the male detective did say some rather awkward things that would've blown his cover just as bad as the female detective despite always telling her to not blab away their secrets.)

I was also looking at that third simulation for a while seeing if there's anything I could pick up from there. It was built up to be something important, and it got an emotional response out of the husband. Couldn't find anything.
0nsen

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 2:03 pm Reply with quote
So.....

Apparently the husband lost interest in his wife leading to his wife killing herself. The husband gets accused, but of course he isn't guilty and since he was emotionally detached from her in the first place, he doesn't give a damn. When he sees an even older memory when they were still in love he remembers the good times and for the first time after her death feels a kind of regret over the loss.

At least that's what I make of it. When someone is obviously the killer he almost never really is. That's just the way crime stories go. The short tries to feel less stale by not showing us the conclusion, but I feel it doesn't really work.
Fronzel

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 4:05 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
As they're simply running a simulation, they couldn't have possibly changed the past because it already happened. They could change the outcome of the simulation, but that'd be bad for their investigation because they wouldn't be able to get as much information as to what happened otherwise. That's why the male detective told the female one to hide when the husband entered the house. (Of course, the male detective did say some rather awkward things that would've blown his cover just as bad as the female detective despite always telling her to not blab away their secrets.)

Yes, that would make sense but then why does the suspect listen with interest as his wife tells him how to dispose of the evidence of a murder (which she only knows because the detectives told her), as if he hadn't thought of this himself? It's like this is what convinces him to murder his wife then and there.

Onsen wrote:
So.....

Apparently the husband lost interest in his wife leading to his wife killing herself. The husband gets accused, but of course he isn't guilty and since he was emotionally detached from her in the first place, he doesn't give a damn. When he sees an even older memory when they were still in love he remembers the good times and for the first time after her death feels a kind of regret over the loss.

At least that's what I make of it. When someone is obviously the killer he almost never really is. That's just the way crime stories go. The short tries to feel less stale by not showing us the conclusion, but I feel it doesn't really work.

But how you explain the husband putting his hands to his wife's neck before "it dropped" and they have to stop? The male detective's rejection of this as insufficient seems to have more to do with a rigorous legal standard than actually doubting if the man is guilty.
0nsen

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 4:31 pm Reply with quote
It's just a red herring, don't take it at face value. He was just trying to seduce his wife. At least that's what I think. (He even came prepared with flowers and stuff. Just because he's emotionally detached doesn't mean he isn't caring for his wife.)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1