• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Crunchyroll Adds Inuyashiki Manga by Gantz Creator

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 10:48 pm Reply with quote
This title reminds me of Rumiko Takahashi's Inuyasha.
KamikazeJawa

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 11:03 pm Reply with quote
Is this manga any good? I remember seeing the first volume in my local kinokuniya a while ago and thinking that the cover looked really cool and unique(looks like they modified it a bit for the NA release) but I don't really know anything about it other than that.

Original cover:http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-MwDYOIF-DX4/VD_0omVrP6I/AAAAAAAAAKQ/Tjg1TCazJ5Y/s1600/vol1.jpg
KH91

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 11:34 pm Reply with quote
YES! If you loved Gantz, you should read this as well. I hope Oku can make it to Volume 10.

Kadmos1 wrote:

It would be weird if it didn't. lol
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 11:35 pm Reply with quote
Sci-Fi Death of a Salseman?
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 11:56 pm Reply with quote
I've told Kodansha to do this with Vinland Saga and Vikings, but they've chosen to ignore me on that, and will likely do so with this. But here goes: They should buy ad space for the manga on the forthcoming tv sequel of the X-Files. And maybe that superhero web series, Powers, too.

Last edited by GATSU on Tue May 12, 2015 5:44 am; edited 1 time in total
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 11:58 pm Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:

Salsaman? Salesman? Smile

(Are people still familiar with it? Do they still show it in high school plays?)
jmfsilenthill

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 12:01 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Dark Horse Comics will publish the 26th English volume of the manga in North America in August.

It's actually the 36th volume that they are publishing. Second-last volume, it's the end of an era!

Anyways, definitely looking forward to checking out anything Oku-related.
Very Happy
Calico

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 7:22 am Reply with quote
This feels like a first. Kodansha licenses a series, and then Crunchyroll adds it. I guess for whatever reason, Kodansha didn't get the digital rights.

GATSU wrote:
I've told Kodansha to do this with Vinland Saga and Vikings, but they've chosen to ignore me on that, and will likely do so with this. But here goes: They should buy ad space for the manga on the forthcoming tv sequel of the X-Files. And maybe that superhero web series, Powers, too.

You uh, don't actually realize how much buying an advertising slot for what will probably be a popular show costs, do you? But hey, I'll help you out: according to http://smallbusiness.chron.com/much-television-advertising-really-cost-58718.html even getting a spot for less popular nationally viewed program can cost upwards of $100,000. Considering that there is no real incentive to spend that much money targeting an audience that might not even be interested, it isn't going to happen. Also, I don't know about you, but the only books I've ever seen advertised on TV were James Patterson books, and he's filthy rich. So yeah, I don't think a niche publisher is going to get a spot on TV just because you say so.
YotaruVegeta

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 7:34 am Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:

I wonder what the title means. Shiki means seasons, and we know Inu means dog, so is this some sort of pun? Yasha is demon or spirit.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 7:38 am Reply with quote
Congrats.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 8:01 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
Beatdigga wrote:

Salsaman? Salesman? Smile

(Are people still familiar with it? Do they still show it in high school plays?)

Salesman. Hey, it was 1:30am. Also, that play would have been very different with a sci fi twist.
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 4:27 pm Reply with quote
Calico:
Quote:
You uh, don't actually realize how much buying an advertising slot for what will probably be a popular show costs, do you?

Kodansha Japan's not a poor company. So I don't see why they can't do it. Unless they want Vinland Saga to fail twice?

Quote:
Considering that there is no real incentive to spend that much money targeting an audience that might not even be interested,

Why would they not be interested? They're both series about vikings. There has to be some overlap there.

Quote:
Also, I don't know about you, but the only books I've ever seen advertised on TV were James Patterson books, and he's filthy rich.

You're basically proving my point.
Calico

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 5:43 pm Reply with quote
Gatsu:
Quote:
Kodansha Japan's not a poor company. So I don't see why they can't do it. Unless they want Vinland Saga to fail twice?

We're not Japan. We are in no way the primary audience for this stuff. So I don't think Kodansha Japan is worried enough to risk losing millions for an overseas audience.*
Quote:
Why would they not be interested? They're both series about vikings. There has to be some overlap there.

Yeah, but popular TV≠niche comics. Sure, some people would probably be interested, but not enough to make up for all of the money that they would spend.
Quote:
You're basically proving my point.

I don't know how you came to that conclusion. Patterson and/or his publisher can afford advertisements because he's so rich- you would't see advertisements for unknowns or poor sellers.

*I don't actually know how much Kodansha Japan is involved with the American branch, so you're better off asking the company themselves or the answer column here.
Via_01

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 12:17 am Reply with quote
YotaruVegeta wrote:
Kadmos1 wrote:

I wonder what the title means. Shiki means seasons, and we know Inu means dog, so is this some sort of pun? Yasha is demon or spirit.

Inuyashiki is the name of the old man/protagonist, actually. If his name has deeper meaning, I wouldn't know, but the series is clearly named after him.
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 12:48 am Reply with quote
Calico:
Quote:
We're not Japan. We are in no way the primary audience for this stuff.

If we're not, then why publish it here at all? Just snag more tits and ass titles and be done with it.

Quote:
So I don't think Kodansha Japan is worried enough to risk losing millions for an overseas audience.*

So they'd prefer to have to write off a hit series failing here?

Quote:
Yeah, but popular TV≠niche comics.

And yet titles like Powers and Preacher are getting greenlit for tv adaptations.

Quote:
but not enough to make up for all of the money that they would spend.

There's millions of potential viewers versus maybe tens of thousands of regular manga fans at best. I'd say it's worth the investment.

Quote:
Patterson and/or his publisher can afford advertisements because he's so rich-

And so can Kodansha Japan. But it's also a circular thing. He's still rich, because he spends the money to advertise his stuff on teevee.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2