• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Introductions / Meet ANN / Tell us about Yourself (w/ index).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cool3865

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 10:13 am Reply with quote
psycho 101 wrote:
Welcome cool3865. Hopefully you'll have a very pleasant time here and enjoy yourself while learning more about anime. I've never heard of someone being Hispanic and Irish by ethnicity. I'm sure there's plenty who are, I've simply never heard of it before so I'd personally, being Irish, be interested in knowing more if you don't mind. You can PM me if you'd prefer, if you wanna elaborate at all. Before I forget I must give you your mystery welcome bag of goodies. ::hands him a brown bag:: Your welcome bag contains the hard plastic eye from a stuffed bear, one blade from a standing fan, a handful of straw, and a small capsule filled with water and plankton. Those sure are Good Eats (shameless plug for Alton Brown's show on Food Network). While enjoying yourself here, and your fine gifts, don't forget; Carefully tune your instrument before playing. That way you can play out of tune all night with a clear conscience.

thanks for the welcome, yea my dad is hispanic and my mom is irish, im almost half and half but my mom also has some french in her.
DKong

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 8:58 pm Reply with quote
Name: Steve.

Sex: Male

Ethnicity: Mostly Italian

Pets: One cat, wish he'd just go away. I hate him so much. When I get my own place, I'm not getting pets.

Drink/Smoke: Neither, though I respect smokers much more than I respect drinkers.

Likes: People that don't act like they know it all, import and classic games, places that sell cheap stuff...

Dislikes: People who spell "you" like "u" and don't bother typing out the full words for anything....and people who text message on their cell phone all day.

Favorite anime: Fullmetal Alchemist, Cowboy Bebop, Death Note

Favorite Manga: Fullmetal Alchemist, Cowboy Bebop: shooting star, Cardcaptor sakura, Monster

Favorite Books: Harry Potter

Favorite game: Fire Emblem (the first gba one), Daigasso Band Brothers, DDR, Final Fantasy series

Favorite TV shows: Fresh Prince of Bel Air

Favorite Movies: Harry Potter series, Pirates of the Caribbean series.

Favorite Drink: Don't drink now and don't plan to in the future

Non-Alcoholic Drink: Water, lemonade, and mountain dew

Favorite Foods: Pizza and chicken...but I'm not a fan of pizza with chicken on it.

Favorite Sites: ANN, ebay, del.icio.us, Maddox's site (best page in the universe), ddr freak, itg freak, play asia, anime suki, lifehacker.com, ctrl+alt+del comics

Favorite Sport (to watch): Basketball

Favorite Sport (to play):Baseball

Favorite Music: Metal, screamo, punk, indie rock...that kinda crap. I also like Jrock, Jpop, and techno.

Favorite bands: Acid Android, L'arc en ciel, Asian Kung fu generation, Maximum the Hormone, Underoath, Fall out Boy, System of a Down, Bowling for Soup, Rage Against the machine, motion city soundtrack, Wolfmother, Paramore

Job: None currently, applying for a job at Gamestop

Hobbies: Anime, manga, video games (classic games, rpgs, and rhythm games in particular), bowling, pool, skiing, and skim boarding

Fun facts:
I have my own blog: http://ericandsteve.blogspot.com
I don't own an ipod
I own a cell phone, but I keep it in my glove compartment for emergencies only
Owns a car, but doesn't have a license (should be getting it soon, though)
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 11:12 pm Reply with quote
That's an interesting combination cool3865. Well, welcome again and hopefully you'll have fun here. Very Happy
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 12:38 am Reply with quote
psycho 101 wrote:
Well since you've been such a nice person I'll use your grit in my next bag. Wink

Thanks for the compliment psycho. Now if only more people wouldn't automatically think that being weird means a person is not nice.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 1:07 am Reply with quote
Past wrote:
psycho 101 wrote:
Well since you've been such a nice person I'll use your grit in my next bag. Wink

Thanks for the compliment psycho. Now if only more people wouldn't automatically think that being weird means a person is not nice.

I know the feeling. I get tired of wearing my old Betty Paige shirts with Hot Topic pants and having people assume I'm a devil worshiper or kill cats or whatever. True story; some lady saw me in Border's one day, dressed as I mentioned, and I was in the religion section. I was taking a college course on Western Religions so i was doing some research on Islam as that was the current topic. She started giving me this speech about how I should be a proper person and with my attitude I was obviously a good for nothing trouble maker (despite the fact I'm active in my church and a member of the Knights of Columbus). She went on and on about how weird and obviously disturbed I was until i simply told her she shouldn't judge a book by it's cover and walked off. No joke, the very next week while working (as a senior bank teller) she came into my branch and didn't even notice who I was. Minus the clothing change I looked the same but she obviously only noticed the superficial parts. She said how helpful I was and nice and before she left I reminded her of our previous encounter and she got all flustered and embarrassed in the bank and stormed off. I know your situation is obviously different but I know where you're coming from.

On a side note grits rock so thanks for the idea lol.
starseven

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 2:18 pm Reply with quote
That's so classic. I think that's funny that she didn't recignise you. I kind of understand that whole thing. My deal was that as I got into anime people in my church thought "anime is taboo" it's annoying people don't seem to realize that I can like and watch anime and still believe in God and be a christian at the same time. It's just insane. It just seems since I liked it that people automatically thought about the darker parts of anime and immediately seemed to not want to discuss it.

I don't know people seem to associate some things that really don't make sense to me. I wonder if you had a laugh over that whole deal at the bank or not. I know I would've. I agree with you it's not about what kind of clothing you wear. It's what's within a person.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 7:50 pm Reply with quote
Well I hope none of you others from the Minnesota ANN invasion force were on that bridge today. Outlook certainly doesn't sound good and it's a bit scary considering I travel that road quite frequently.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 12:43 am Reply with quote
Keonyn wrote:
Well I hope none of you others from the Minnesota ANN invasion force were on that bridge today. Outlook certainly doesn't sound good and it's a bit scary considering I travel that road quite frequently.

i heard of a bridge collapse and accident in Cali yesterday I believe, but I didn't hear anything about an accident in Minnesota. Could you tell me more? PM it to me so we don't get this baby way OT if you don't mind Keonyn.
DetectiveKyu_09

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 1:47 pm Reply with quote
Name: Cant tell

Sex: Female

Pets: I would like to have a dog, but ofcourse my parents won't allow.

Drink/Smoke: Neither, I dislike all this stuff.

Dislikes: People who act like what they are not & show off alot.

Favorite anime: Detective School Q/Tantei Gauken Q, Inu Yasha, Gauken Alice, Ginban Kaliedoscope, Fullmetal Alchemist, Cowboy Bebop,Ranma 1/2, Girl From Hell & then so on....

Favorite Manga: Fullmetal Alchemist, Gauken Alice , Flame of Recca

Favorite Books: Harry Potter, books related to mystery

Favorite Movies: Harry Potter series, High School Musical

Favorite Drink: Don't drink now and don't plan to in the future

Non-Alcoholic Drink: Water, lemonade, sprite and mountain dew

Favorite Foods: Pizza (veg) , pasta, chocolate, chicken & more.....I love to eat!

Favorite Sport (to watch): Basketball, Soccer, Tennis

Hobbies: Anime, manga, video games, drawing, playing my guitar
Kaze no Kami

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 4:38 pm Reply with quote
Hi there! I'm new here, so I thought I would start by posting here ^^ I read a part of the profiles, but there were too many and I don't know anyone yet, so guess I will look upon them later Smile
English is not my first language, so please don't get mad if it happens to mis-spell something.

Name: just Calypso ^^

Appearence: reddish medium curly hair (yeah, dyed), dark brown eyes, 172 cm height

Blood Type: 0

Location: Romania (in a city close to Bucharest), Eastern Europe

Marital Status: Single

Ethnicity: Romanian

Religion: Christian, Orthodox

Pets: 1 persian fluffy cat named Szara

Drink/Smoke: I don’t have the legal age for any of these, however I enjoy drinking at special occasions

Likes: chocolate, anime&manga, writing, drawing, fashion, ancient Egypt, all that has to do with Japan

Dislikes: stupid people (sometimes I’m one of them too), school, chemistry, tomatos, perfection

Favorite anime: Shaman King, Death Note, Spiral, Kaleido Star, Elfen Lied

Favorite Manga (Light novels): Death Note, Shaman King, Naruto

Favorite Books: all written by Haruki Murakami, Diary by Chuck Palahniuk

Favorite game: I don’t really play games, but I had a TheSims2 addiction some time ago

Favorite TV shows/Movies: „Jeux d’enfants”(movie), Death Note: The Last Name (live-action movie), The Number 23 (movie)

Favorite Drink: Champagne

Non-Alcoholic Drink: capuccino, green tea, frappe(obsession)

Favorite Foods: Chocolate, Tiramisu cake, Brie cheese

Favorite Sites: fanfiction.net (there are others but this is the only one I always liked)

Favorite Sport (to watch): none

Favorite Sport (to play): Badmington, Swimming

Favorite Music: rock, japanese music (usually from animes’ soundtracks)

Job: high-school student

Hobbies: writting, reading (mostly fanfiction), watching anime, shopping

Fun facts about Calypso:
She frequently dreams herself as Light or as Mello from Death Note (during the night, not daydreams Laughing )
She calls her best friend ”Kira-san” (Death Note addiction again…)
She dreams at winning the Nobel prize for literature Laughing
She once forgot about of one of her semester exams and skipped that day
She will sometimes turn hysterical if the Internet isn’t working Rolling Eyes

Favorite Quotes:
”It made me realize. Your will and courage are useless. It’s only ever the people who believe in something that are happy.” (Rio from Spiral anime)

”Does a little stone have any meaning on the earth? In face of the truth neither good nor evil has any meaning. It’s only humans who search for answers inside everything.” (Marco from Shaman King manga)

”There where is a big light it is also a big shadow.” (J. W. Goethe)

”Keep smiling – it makes people wonder what you’re up to.”

”The loneliness was an unsatisfied thirst for illusions.” (Kobo Abe- ”The woman of sand”)

”I am Justice!” (Death Note, said by both L and Light)

Pictures: maybe later Wink
coolGAL

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 1:25 am Reply with quote
Name: Anna Kristina Maria (I go by Kristina and yes I have 3 full names)

Marital Status: Single

Religion: I don't really belive in it

Sexuality: Lesbian

Drink/Smoke: No way Alchohol is gross I hate smoking and smokers make me want to vomit.

Likes: Anime of course video games swimming movies music reading manga and books taking naps the Beach drinking Tea the Rain and Sunshine

Dislikes: People who can not controll there drinking smokers Ignorent people racists homophobics Soccer moms Narutards Butterflies *I can not even look at them they scare me so much* Storms and power outages bullies people who pick on people with Disabilties or people with Seeing Disabilites It really breaks my hart when people do that Rude people Country music and Gangster Rap annoying kids and crying babies Reality TV Posers Stereotypes.

Favorite Anime: Super GALS! Fruits Basket Getbackers Bleach Blue Gender Blue Seed Beck Monster Ranma 1/2 Love Hina Ouran High School Host Club Kodocha Cardcaptor Sakura Pretty Soldier Salior Moon Full Metal Panic Full Metal Panic Fumoffu Full Metal Panic The Second Raid Full Metal Alchemist Yu Yu Hakusho Peach Girl His and Hers Circumstances Hare+Guu Pani Poni Dash! Azumanga Daioh Akira All most ever single Studio Ghibli film except for Pom Poko Boys Over Flowers Chrono Crusade Cowboy Bebob Gravitation (Sorry to drag this on) Ghost In The Shell Stand Alone Complex Wolf's Rain Great Teacher Onizuka Neon Genesis Evangelion The End of Evangelion Scrapped Princess Beck.

Favorite Manga: Mars Banana Fish Kodocha Beck Boys Over Flowers FAKE Gravitation Love Hina Negima Monster Peach Girl Ranma 1/2 Yu Yu Hakusho Aishiteruze Baby Confidential Confessions Full Moon O Sagashite GALS! Kare Kano Mahoromatic Automic Maiden Midori Days Yotsuba& Maison Ikokku Marmalade Boy Fruits Basket Full Metal Panic Full Metal Panic Overload! Full Metal Alchemist Great Teacher Onizuka Bleach Beck.

Favorite Book: Intensesity by Dean Koontz Misery by Stephen King.

Favorite Drink: Pop Milk *I LOVE MY MILK* Tea Apple Juice Ice Cold Water

Favorite Food: That's a really hard one I like Ice Cream random Junk Food)(Fruits and Vegitables are ok) Peanuts and Peanut Butter

Favorite Sport: Basket Ball *I like playing it more then watching it*

Favorite Non-Anime TV Shows: Degrassi The Next Generation Scrubs (Random Sitcoms) I will list some. (Everybody Loves Raymond Fresh Prince of Bel-Air Roseanne Ellen) The Simpson's (Old Episodes) Degrassi Junior High Degrassi High Buffy The Vampire Slayer Penn and Teller Bull**** King of the Hill The Sopranos Futurama The Boondocks Sex and the City South Park The Office (US Version I have not seen the U.K. version) Corner Gas Lucky Louie

Favorite Video Games: The Super Mario Bros. Games The Legend of Zelda Games. Super Metroid Street Fighter 2 Turbo Super Street Fighter 2 Resident Evil 4 Resident Evil 3 Resident Evil DS Tetris Qaurth Grand Theft Auto San Andreas most Fighting Games Silent Hill 1 2 and 3.

Favorite Music: J-Rock J-Pop Classic Rap *Non of that gangsta crap* Jazz Classic Rock Some Classic Pop

Favorite Movies: Kill Bill Pulp Fiction Every Single Kevin Smith Movie Rain Man Mean Girls Hairspray (2007) the Spider Man movie series The Crush Fatal Attraction Every Adam Sandler Movie up to The Water Boy *Tho Mr. Deeds was not that bad* Forrest Gump Garden State (There is allot more but I can not Remeber I love so many movies)

Favorite Websites: ANN IMDB OPCFG GameFAQ's Youtube Veoh RetroJunk Wikipedia

Intresting Facts about Kristina/CoolGAL I don't have that many facts I have some.

- I am huge huge Drama Fanatic *it was the only thing I liked in High School* I am also a huge fan of Improv and Stand Up Comedy.

- I have a very rare Seeing Disability and a Non-Verbal Mental Disability.

- I am not much of an Outdoors fan but I do love Sunsets and Sunrises but to me Nature is nature (You have seen it once you have seen it all) No offence to anybody who loves the outdoors.

- I am a very big fan of John C. McGinley Fantastic Actor and a Fantastic Father.

- I have been suffereing Depression since 2004.

- I am not a Pet Person.

- I never really had friends because of my Disabilities.

- I once had a nose bleed that lasted for 3 and a half hours.

- Besides being an Anime Fanatic I am also a huge huge Degrassi fan and huge Scrubs fan too.

- I am a very big fan and I have done Work Ed for CNIB (Canadian National Instatute for the Blind)

- I am a huge fan of Megumi Ogata.

Last edited by coolGAL on Fri May 23, 2008 6:39 am; edited 20 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 7:51 am Reply with quote
Welcome to ANN Kaze no Kami, and DetectiveKyu_09. Hopefully you'll enjoy your stays here and further your knowledge of anime. To help ya feel even more welcomed here I'll now give you both your very own mystery welcome bags, ::hands them each a brown bag:: In them you'll find such wonderful items as a 3x3 inch piece of crumpled aluminum foil, a very old and stained wash cloth used to wax my car, 2 shrimp covered in freezer burn and frost, and a coupon for 50 cents of your next purchase of depends adult diapers. Enjoy these wonderful gifts and remember these Words of Wisdom; Age is an issue of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it doesn't matter.
Greg Aubry

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 10:47 am Reply with quote
I've posted on here a few times, but I always feel like I'm speaking out of turn for some reason. Thought I'd say "hello" and do this:

Name: Greg Aubry. I always use my real name on internet forums. No big deal.

Sex: Male

Blood Type: O positive. (I think.)

Marital Status: Married.

Ethnicity: Mostly French and German, with scant traces of multiple Native American tribes and other European races.

Religion: Atheist. I'm a reformed non-denominational Christian.

Pets: 4 rabbits (two pairs-- boy and girl each), 2 gerbils (those are my wife's really), and 1 guinea pig (also my wife's-- I'm allergic to that sucker).

Drink/Smoke: I drink in moderation. I dislike smoking.

Likes: American music, comics, and film; electronic appliances; video games, the internet, etc.

Dislikes: Network and cable television. I buy DVDs for a reason.

Favorite anime: Evangelion, Macross Plus, all Ghost in the Shell, Miyazaki features, Kawajiri features, Cowboy Bebop.

Favorite Manga: The Shirow catalog, Gunsmith Cats, Shadow Star, Eva, Cannon God Exaxxion, You're Under Arrest.

Favorite Books: Stiffed: The Betrayal of the Modern American Man by Susan Faludi, Milk It! Collected Musings on the Alternative Music Explosion of the '90s by Jim DeRogatis, A User's Guide to the Brain by John J. Ratey, MD, Fast Food Nation by Eric Schlosser. Let's just say I prefer nonfiction.

Favorite video games: anything Zelda, Final Fantasy 6 (III on SNES), 7 and 8, Super Mario Bros. series, Metroid, Street Fighter II/III, Mega Man and more.

Favorite TV shows: I make a point to not watch television all that much. I make exceptions and join my wife to watch Lost, Boston Legal, and Scrubs, as well as some of the cable stuff like Mythbusters and Good Eats.

Favorite movies: Ghostbusters, Fight Club, The Dark Crystal, Pulp Fiction, The Crow, High Fidelity, Superman.

Favorite Drink: Rum and coke is my old stand-by.

Non-Alcoholic Drink: A good strong coffee that's not too bitter, with cream and sugar (and sometimes a cocoa flavoring).

Favorite Foods: Tacos, by far. Ribs, steak fajitas, gluten-free pancakes (see "fun facts" below), Cocoa Pebbles, yogurts.

Favorite Sites: Anime News Network, Anime on DVD, Newegg, Image Comics, Myspace, Comic Book Resources, Google.

Favorite Sport (to watch): The Scripps-Howard National Spelling Bee. (In other words, I don't watch sports. I don't really watch the Spelling Bee either.)

Favorite Sport (to play): Soccer, volleyball, baseball-- stuff you can play in large family gatherings, as those are really the only occasion I have to play sports.

Favorite Music: Rock, primarily. That's pretty broad and covers stuff like metal, industrial and emo in my book. A sampling of favorite bands: Nirvana, Nine Inch Nails, Alice in Chains, Failure, Ivy, Sonic Youth. I like a bit of old-school country, like Johnny Cash, and a bit of old-school hip hop like De La Soul and DJ Jazzy Jeff and Fresh Prince. A modern hip hop record I really liked was Gnarls Barkley.

Job: Retail.

Hobbies: Home recording, songwriting, left-handed guitars and basses, computer building, drawing and writing comics.

Fun facts:

-I have celiac disease, which means that I can't eat anything with the protein gluten in it (which is a good 70 percent of a normal person's diet: no bread or wheat-related food, drinks, or sauces).
-I am a close friend of fellow poster Jgreen. He and I can tell you uncomplimentary stories about one another (but won't).
-FM Talk radio is a guilty pleasure of mine.
-I've considered myself an otaku since 1993.

Favorite Quotes:

Pretty much anything anybody says in Ghostbusters. Between all of my friends and I-- even those who don't really know each other-- Ghostbusters has remained one of the most referenced movies in any conversation we have.

I enjoy this forum. Perhaps now I can get to know you guys a little better.
lscoresby

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 2:47 pm Reply with quote
Name: Erin

Ethnicity: Irish, German, Scottish, American Indian, etc.

Pets: A ball (African royal) python named Bill.

Drink/Smoke: No smoking, drink occasionally (light weight)

Likes: all things fantasy, reading, anime, contra dance, soil, trees, and trolls

Dislikes: being recently graduated and as of yet unemployed

Favorite anime: NANA, Story of Saiunkoku, Nodame Cantabile, Bleach, Princess Tutu, Gankutsuou, Miyazaki movies

Favorite Manga: Fruits Basket, xxxHOLiC, NANA

Favorite Books: His Dark Materials, Black Jewels Trilogy

Favorite game: Okami

Favorite TV shows: Smallville, Heroes, Psych, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Angel

Favorite Movies: Ever After

Favorite Drink: Silver Coin Margarita

Non-Alcoholic Drink: Water

Favorite Foods: Macaroni and cheese, Thai curries, dark chocolate

Favorite Sites: ANN, Amazon, Webkinz

Favorite Music: I like it all with an emphasis on 70's rock and anime themes

Favorite bands: ELO, L'arc en ciel, UVERworld, Queen, Eric Clapton, David Bowie

Job: Applying for a job at the TCEQ, Texas Commission on Environmental Quality

Hobbies: reading, anime, knitting, contra dancing,

Fun facts:
I've been a member of this site for a very long time without doing any posting at all. lscoresby was the nick I used online before realizing no one understood it and switching to LeeScoresby. Lee is my middle name AND an awesome character from HDM, one of my favorite fantasy trilogies. My boyfriend, MokonaModoki, is another user on this site.
BrothersElric

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 4:11 pm Reply with quote
I just updated my profile to include a list of some of my favorite bands, since a lot of people seem to be doing that. But mostly for a thread over on the new ANN fan forum.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 27 of 233