• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - When I Cry

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 2:04 am Reply with quote
Quote:
For those that remember Ghost in the Shell: Innocence, Solid State Society is completely different in most regards. Gone is the pretension, gone are the awkward Milton quotes—

Bah! If Anno does the same thing in the new Evangelion movies, you're gonna call him a genius.
Richard J.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 2:49 am Reply with quote
I love how Shelf Life often starts off as "A Day in the Life of Bamboo." There's just something very fun about how the world is treating our intrepid columnist. (Though I am sorry to hear about the airport troubles. Somehow I get the feeling you don't fit the psychological, sociological, or any other logical profile of a terrorist and therefore were quite undeserving of the delay.)

I'm very pleased to see When They Cry in the Shelf Worthy section. I've got the first two volumes and it only gets more interesting as it goes. The plotting is surprisingly good and each new arc makes you want to go back and reevaluate the previous ones, because some new piece of information was revealed. (Although a part of me almost hates to watch because I can't seem to help liking all the girls and even paranoid Keiichi.)

Interesting you should mention trying to use When They Cry to get a song out of your head. I've had the end theme playing over and over in my brain for about two weeks. Such a delicious mix of melancholy and moving lyrics. And how often do you get an English language song from the start like that? Cool

Bonus points for using the flowers from the opening in your column headings. (There's even a bit of Rika's head in the Shelf Obsessed header, unless my eyes deceive.)

GITS: Solid State Society is very much a feature length episode, can't argue with that assessment, but it is a surprisingly well pulled together one. It feels like a compilation movie for a season's arc.

Not a perfect ending, but then I have to give them credit for A: spoiler[Not having Togusa blow his own brains out] and B: spoiler[Bringing those lovable Tachikomas back from their second great sacrifice.] Plus, bonus points for marking the start of Ani-Mondays on Sci-Fi.

I'm not too surprised to see The Third: The Girl With The Blue Eye on the Rental section. I very much enjoyed it, but it does have a bit of a different flavor. Personally, I thought the super deformed comedy bits felt more out of place than the Narrator, but I love this line from the review:
Quote:
If someone told me both the Japanese and English narrators did dramatic readings of Oprah Book Club selections at Borders every Tuesday night, I'd believe them.
That is just too perfect.

I do wonder how much of the conversations are actually meaningless though. Given that the series is based on a light novel series (I think) some of that chatter might actually be foreshadowing. (Or just chatter. It's not like I've read any spoilers or anything.)

Nobody's Boy - Remi sounds sort of interesting but a little too real for my tastes. Even if it wouldn't go against my policy to pick up a mono-lingual release. (Just not enough in tune with my tastes to tempt me.)

Naruto OVA: Bamboo's review is dead on, believe it!

It's actually rather silly, especially since it's set after some pretty interesting and character building events in the regular series. If this what the long night of fillers will be like, I am beginning to understand why people hate fillers. (Sadly, the completionist in me will probably force me to buy this.)

If my world ever calms the heck down, I'm going to send in numerous collection pics of all manner. Much like an over eager puppy, I could use a good pat on the head.

Speaking of collections, Alex Anderson has interesting tastes in books. Anne Rice novels, A Series Of Unfortunate Events novels, and the Princess Diaries series and on the next shelf The DaVinci Code and The Great Gatsby? Very different. (Not to mention a plush Gir in drag. That's just weird.)

Cool collection.
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 3:28 am Reply with quote
When I showed my roommate When They Cry (I'm the only anime fan in the house) I started after the prologue and OP credits, just to be evil. My scheme almost backfired as he began to question why I was showing him such fluf, and almost walked out of the room. The impact of the later episodes hit him harder than they did me the night before since he had no idea where the series was heading. Although I watched the fifth episode, I think I'll watch it again before beginning the second DVD. The 5 episode count seems like an interesting marketing plan. Granted it might hook people into buying the next volume with incomplete stories I think it would be nicer to have a story (much like Geneon's Ayakashi) per DVD.

Having no idea what to expect I love GITS SSS. The extras DVD is full of real goodies. I love the small working Tachikoma that guy built. The extra on the cars was also neat since I didn't really appreciate all the work that went into this factor before watching it.

I can't put my finger on specifics, but Third has an odd cinematic quality to it. I don't know if it is due to the pacing, or the small font size used, The best part about the series is the really great main characters. I also like the intact Japanese followed by complete English credits. TRSI really does a wonderful job with their releases.

My copies of all the IATV releases have yet to arrive, and I have avoided watching the broadcasts since I intend on following all three series on DVD,

I will be sure to avoid Naruto OVA, especially since I don't care for Naruto to begin with.
EngrishFan

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 6:28 am Reply with quote
A little bit of nitpicking about the When They Cry review:

article wrote:
What makes it work so well is that every arc is preceded by a scene that shows you exactly how the final death will play out.

Without spoiling too much, the scenes shown at the beginning of each story arc are definately NOT indicative of any final death scenes within their respective segments. They'll still reveal some bits and pieces of the story, but few of them (if I remember those scenes correctly) are as easy to trace as the first one was.

That aside, kinda find it wierd to see it listed as shelf worthy, what with all the loli aspects of the series and the occasional awful animation quality. It's still a great amount of fun to watch (or not, if you don't have a spine), but I probably wouldn't peg the series as something everybody (in the appropriate age group) would enjoy.

Now, what kind of sadistic evil can I force unto my brothers for the rest of the series.....
here-and-faraway

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 6:40 am Reply with quote
I'm really enjoying When They Cry also. I haven't seen anything like it before. Uber-cute characters living in a strange dark world. Sorry about your bad run-in at the airport.

I fly a lot too and I know how stressful it can be. While I understand why we have the heightened security, sometimes it really feels like the left hand doesn't know what the right is doing. Security policies and procedures can vary so much from airport to airport or even at the same airport.
icepick314

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 8:22 am Reply with quote
why all the leftover food packagings?

Pocky boxes aren't exactly collector's items...

and my gawd!! is that Pokemon VHS in the corner???
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Buster Blader 126

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 10:18 am Reply with quote
EngrishFan wrote:

article wrote:
What makes it work so well is that every arc is preceded by a scene that shows you exactly how the final death will play out.

Without spoiling too much, the scenes shown at the beginning of each story arc are definately NOT indicative of any final death scenes within their respective segments. They'll still reveal some bits and pieces of the story, but few of them (if I remember those scenes correctly) are as easy to trace as the first one was.

To be fair, I don't think she would have known that, judging from the fact that she's only seen the first Volume and (presumably) having no prior knowledge to Higurashi.

icepick314 wrote:
and my gawd!! is that Pokemon VHS in the corner???

No, your eyes aren't deceiving you. That's Pokemon: The FIrst Movie on the bottom there.
murph76

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 11:16 am Reply with quote
Well, I was on the fence about adding When They Cry to my collection. But, after seeing Sakechan rate it shelf worthy, I think I will. I rented the first volume and loved it. Here and Faraway said it best: Very cute and very dark.

Thanks Bamboo!! Very Happy

-Murph
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 11:54 am Reply with quote
Yeah that really sucks about TSA. I mean you missed your flight, and was called back from the gate. Completely unprofessional. As others have already said, I think we all know we need added security. But considering how long they have had to get their act together, it sure seems it falls apart more often then not. This is like a mistake they would make in the first month or something. Missed flight? I would be fuming, I know you were. I travel quite a bit, so I see this stuff often. So far though, I've been pretty lucky. Last time they were working over a 70 year old lady in front of me. Rolling Eyes

As far as the reviews I agree with them. Except my pre-order from Rightstuf's The Third hasn't been shipped yet Mad. I was kinda disappointed to hear it didn't get a worthy spot, I am really excited about the show. Can't really say anything to defend it since I haven't seen it. I guess I can hold out hope though since it sounds like you might change your mind and that the show has the potential to be really good and better in the following volumes.

Also,

Didn't ANN have a goat stolen from it???

Fun read this week Bamboo, even if it wasn't fun for you.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DemonEyesLeo

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 1:04 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
aren't you curious why girls are getting clubbed to death by a baseball bat?

Yes...I'm going to have to check this series out.
Aromatic Grass

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 1:16 pm Reply with quote
This just affirms my purchase of Solid State Society. I'm still questioning When They Cry only because there are a ton of other things--the Mushi-Shi box set, for one--that I want to buy. Not that I'll never buy WTC... Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 1:24 pm Reply with quote
Buster Blader 126 wrote:
EngrishFan wrote:

article wrote:

To be fair, I don't think she would have known that, judging from the fact that she's only seen the first Volume and (presumably) having no prior knowledge to Higurashi.

Of course not, EngrishFan wasn't suggesting she should have known. But it still warrants mentioning, so people don't think they are getting spoiled at the beginning of each arc every time.

Anyhow, I'm glad to see When They Cry get Shelf Worthy status. The animation and/or art may leave something to be desired at times, but I think the other aspects of the show more than make up for it.
bahamut623

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 3:04 pm Reply with quote
Remi's listed as a rental, but you can't really rent Imaginasian stuff can you? Anyway, it's a good show, but if you're felling depressed do NOT watch it. You'll probably throw yourself off a cliff. It's a little too sad at times, but it works and is a good show. And the animation is actually pretty impressive considering how old it is.
I swear I can read the word Madhouse in the credits, am I right?? If so, I had no idea they were around that long.
Veoryn87

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 3:55 pm Reply with quote
I like When They Cry and I'm enjoying the second season now. I'm going to wait for the box set to come out before I buy it.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 6:03 pm Reply with quote
Dargonxtc wrote:
Yeah that really sucks about TSA. I mean you missed your flight, and was called back from the gate. Completely unprofessional.

The real problem wasn't that she was sent back. It was that she was quaded and the TSA let her through security in the first place without giving her the appropriate security screening.

The gate attendant had no choice but to send her back. Although it was a bit bitchy of her to close the gate in her face (Bamboo literally arrived as the attendant was closing the gate).

You'd figure 6 years after 9/11 the TSA would have it's act together, but no, it doesn't.

Quote:

Didn't ANN have a goat stolen from it???

No, we had an Answercat prototype plushie stolen. Although it may have been a misunderstanding. Apparently more than one person at the panel thought we were giving those out, although I did say I wanted them back....

We still haven't manufactured those.

-t
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3