• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Five Steps to Better Fanservice

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Niomo

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 10:21 am Reply with quote
One aspect of fan service that I always enjoy is when it's unexpected. Obviously, there are shows where it is plot point #1, but there are others that subtly touch on it and makes it very very enjoyable.
Wingbeats

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 10:52 am Reply with quote
Oh man, that point #2 - that's a big peeve of mine. Nothing takes me out of a show quicker than when the fanservice is drawn poorly or horribly.

I like ogling hot men, and I like ogling hot women. But they do have to look....y'know...human. When boobs are attached weird or glopping around like jello, or when yaoi hands are bigger than dinner plates, I just find myself rolling my eyes and dropping shows.

I'm not calling for super-realism, but a healthy awareness of anatomy just makes everything so much better, for both genders Smile

(Ugh, Rin. Rin should be illegal. Look at him, setting the bar so high. Someone arrest that boy.)
Lemonchest

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 10:57 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Not every anime series needs to be a subtle masterpiece of moving, insightful screenwriting.

Hah! There's no such show.
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 11:02 am Reply with quote
Also realistic boob sizes please unless it's meant to be that way in an over the top manner (Senran Kagura, Valkyrie Drive granted they are better as video games since you get to interact with the girls and touch them not to mention the writing is better). There's nothing wrong with dfc or average bust size.
Apollo-kun

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 11:25 am Reply with quote
Lemonchest wrote:
Quote:
Not every anime series needs to be a subtle masterpiece of moving, insightful screenwriting.

Hah! There's no such show.
*ringring* "Serial Experiments Lain" and "Flowers of Evil" are on the line, and would like to have a word about that!
Ranzkin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 11:27 am Reply with quote
My take on fanservice has evolved slowly, similiar to how the industry seems to have changed over the recent years. My first true show that got me hooked on the anime over all was Ah My Goddess.

The fanservice that you come across is quite mild by most standards and hardly anything worth mentioning and fits the show perfect.

The very first show that I actually understood the intenstions of fanservice, and sometimes ruined the series at some points was Zero no Tsukaima.
Don't get me wrong, I love this series and the second seasons opening Is one of my absoloute favorites. I won't argue what they did right or wrong, but some scenes was just to silly and annoying at times.

My choice for good fanservice are shows like DxD, that litterally embrace fanservice as an whole and goes all out without holding back. The silliness goes over the top that it becomes good most of the times. The plot isn't anything new or special but the extreme and daring scenes are quite honest and the series knows this. It's true intensions are clear and doesn't pretend to become something else.

Pointless fanserice are shows like Ikkitousen and Queens Blade. The fanservice here seems so pointless that It would be better to turn it into hentai-material instead. I don't find it enjoyable and probably never will.

Moderate and timing is the key here. Get these wrong and everything just becomes stupid and irritating.
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 11:29 am Reply with quote
Quote:
For example, a hot springs episode is a much easier sell in a goofy romantic comedy than it would be in a super-serious war drama

Nice little reference there to Total Eclipse, which literally does this, ugh. Of course, Paul did get stuck with that for Shelf Life.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 11:38 am Reply with quote
but then, there are shows like gantz where fanservice is there because sex and nudity are a thing that exists.

as a counterargument of point #1 there are mangas like seishun pop or the works by the aku no hana mangaka that start pretty tame in the fan service, yet, as the characters discover sexuality the fanservice makes giants leaps until it's practically hentai.
relyat08

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 11:46 am Reply with quote
Maybe my tastes have evolved more lately, but it feels like we have been getting more "good" fanservice shows lately. Food Wars, The Monogatari series, Monster Musume, Saekano, Nisekoi(to some extent), Punchline, etc. It feels like all of those shows have done a really good job of flaunting what they are, rather than trying to sell themselves as high-brow entertainment(although The Monogatari series does that pretty successfully, in my opinion, as well).

I think fanservice can be successfully used in almost any kind of series though. It just has to be the right kind of fan-service for that show. Black Lagoon is full of great fan-service that doesn't feel out of place at all. So far Gangsta has been that way as well. It works in Evangelion, it works in Ghost in the Shell, it works in Yurikuma Arashi, it works in No Game No Life, and it works in Kill La Kill, of course. It all just depends on how it fits the mood of that particular show.

Last edited by relyat08 on Wed Jul 29, 2015 11:50 am; edited 1 time in total
Akane the Catgirl

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 11:47 am Reply with quote
I'm surprised nobody's mentioned Kill la Kill here yet. There's stuff like Rebuild of EVA and the Expelled from Paradise movie where, while I did enjoy them, I felt like the fanservice was SUPER phoned-in annoying. KlK was where most of the fanservice didn't really bother me. One was that it was quite restrained, so you remember it more when there is fanservice (and when there is, it doesn't take it itself too seriously). Another is that the characters aren't just stereotypes or sex-dolls, so I can enjoy the fanservicey parts without feeling guilty as a bisexual woman. And yet another is that the show is surprisingly quite equal oppurtunity to the point that there's a character (Mikisugi) DEDICATED to female-oriented fanservice. Sure, it goes too far sometimes (I would have personally preferred that the stuff with Ragyo was subtextual rather than actual-textual), but when it works, it works.

I should also mention that as a fan of the Flowers of Evil manga, it actually makes sense to have a bunch of fanservice, since it's themes revolve around sex itself. I'm only on Volume Five, though, so I don't think I've gotten to those parts yet. :'D
Keichitsu0305

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 11:49 am Reply with quote
Well now I know Paul likes Mr. Shark week. Laughing I prefer the taller swimmers (Makoto, Rei, and Sousuke) but to each their own.

I agree with both the moderation and humor in fanservice shows and can't get into a "serious" shows with gigantic boobs. Saekano was great with subtle tension and not so discreet implications (see the cousin grinding on Tomoya while arguing). Most of the fanservice was more playful than creepy.

In terms of body types I would wish they were beyond super short, little girls or giant ballon boobs that make want to stick a pin in them. If a giant anime boob exploded, would it let out air, milk, or blood & pus? Some muscular or chubby anime women would be great in fanservice shows without treated as a joke like how some people are attracted to those types.
Merxamers

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 11:54 am Reply with quote
I very much enjoyed this article; i look forward to more!

I definitely think that framing is important for fan service. As you mention, some series (like NGNL) made me feel like a 'sleazeball' for watching it, since almost all of its fanservice relied on eroticizing preteen characters, or the sexual humiliation of others. As much as i love Kill la Kill, *that scene* with Satsuki (you know the one I mean) made me very uncomfortable since it was framed in a way that was obviously meant to be erotic.

As a counter example, Good Luck Girl! has plenty of (pretty mild) fan service scenes, but these were 1. equal opportunity; 2. were never used at the expense of the characters; and 3. took a far backseat to character development and overall comedy. This season, Monster Musume is chock-full of absurd fanservice, but these have been funny and self-aware enough to get laughs out of me (that popsicle scene Anime hyper), and actually has an interesting plot.

All of this is YMMV of course, but that's just my opinion Smile

Akane the Catgirl wrote:
KlK was where most of the fanservice didn't really bother me. One was that it was quite restrained...

I pretty much agree with you concerning Kill la Kill, but if you consider that to be 'restrained', i shudder to think of what you consider crazy fanservice Anime hyper
Akane the Catgirl

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 11:58 am Reply with quote
@Merxamers

Oh, boy, the bath scene. I think that's one of the few places where there were serious communication issues between the writers and the directors. On the one hand, the writing intends for you to feel disgusted (which I was- I literally said "NOPE NOPE NOPE" while watching it). On the other, the camera was being really pervy. In conclusion, they needed to frame that scene differently.

EDIT: When I meant "restrained", I meant in how much there actually was. There's stuff like the To Love Ru or Eiken (which I've had the pleasure of not seeing the anime and seeing only clips or pages) with gratuitous panty and boob shots, which KlK had very little off. Now, I do admit the show's very creative with it's fanservice. It can be played for laughs, drama, symbolism, etc. This show knows that there's a time and a place for fanservice.

Last edited by Akane the Catgirl on Wed Jul 29, 2015 12:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
Themaster20000

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 11:59 am Reply with quote
I don't care for fanservice,but I don't mind it as long as it isn't the crutch for a show. Something like Monster Musume has a ton of it,but it has comedy going for it,along with not taking itself seriously. Then you got a show like Rosario+Vampire which is just obnoxious when it comes to fanservice.
Lostlorn Forest

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 12:30 pm Reply with quote
ANN wrote:
but the idea of good taste is subjective enough to fuel a lifetime of debates

This made my morning... Yeah, not enough anime fans know this, sadly.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7