• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Idol Fined 650,000 Yen for Dating Contract Violation

Goto page   Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 12:49 pm Reply with quote
Look, I know Japan has a different culture from the West, but a court-ordered $5,000 fine just for going on a date? This is just getting ridiculous. Confused
dbzmike

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 12:53 pm Reply with quote
What the hell!? Confused
Gay

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 12:56 pm Reply with quote
This is absolutely disgusting.
Forrest-kun

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 12:56 pm Reply with quote
This is why I hate the idol industry, catering to a bunch of pathetic shut ins. Girls have to be perfect or the company can't make any money off them.
Ulinox

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 1:00 pm Reply with quote
Fine should be higher.
jr240483

forrest-kun wrote:
This is why I hate the idol industry, catering to a bunch of pathetic shut ins. Girls have to be perfect or the company can't make any money off them.

no its just dumbass otakus wanting to keep their girls "pure" by not having them involved with the opposite sex. i bet you there wouldnt be a ruckus if that idol was a lesbian and she was in a yuri relationship.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Rederoin

A contract is a contract.
CaRoss

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 1:01 pm Reply with quote
This is where I get really confused at the difference in culture between North America and Japan.

Over in North America, the idea that a star is dating is appealing and, while they may not be on the same level as idols in Japan, it is rarely taken as a bad thing. Sure, not everyone is into that stuff, but it's never taken to court over a disgruntled fan's beliefs that the actress/star shouldn't date.

So, for a girl to be fined over $5,000 for interacting with the opposite sex is honestly disgusting. While there are things I find interesting about the idol industry, this is one of those things that reveals just how rotten it is.
Lemonchest

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 1:01 pm Reply with quote
That judge's assessment makes the woman dating not only sound like a breach of contract, but a moral hazard. :Japan:
Forrest-kun

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 1:02 pm Reply with quote
jr0904 wrote:
forrest-kun wrote:

no its just dumbass otakus wanting to keep their girls "pure" by not having them involved with the opposite sex. i bet you there wouldnt be a ruckus if that idol was a lesbian and she was in a yuri relationship.

To me shut ins = dumbass otakus, I know its not the same but you get my point
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 1:02 pm Reply with quote
If your contract says "you can't go on Dates/appear to be in a relationship" then even if the rule seems draconian, if said stipulation is still in the contract legally she can get hit in the court.

Culturally it might be a damaging concept of "eternally chaste idols", but just as well when you have a "society of laws" legal contracts do in fact have weight.
thekingsdinner

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 1:04 pm Reply with quote
Moral: Don't become an idol.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
sailorsweeper

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 1:04 pm Reply with quote
I understand its a contract in all, but it still makes me go ugh
H. Guderian

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 1:05 pm Reply with quote
SpacemanHardy wrote:
Look, I know Japan has a different culture from the West, but a court-ordered $5,000 fine just for going on a date? This is just getting ridiculous. Confused

*Contract Violation

While I do agree this is over the top, it was in the written agreement. This article also points out the group dissolved when this member was caught, and it caused to group to break up. Part of the fine was to reimburse clothing and lesson costs.

The alarming part is what the judge says with quite a narrow view of idols. Everything else seems to be by the (law)book.
Touma

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 1:08 pm Reply with quote
I am not surprised that she was fined for violating her contract.
I am surprised that a 15-year-old can make a legal contract. I thought that she would be a minor.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page   Next
Page 1 of 12