• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Macross Creator Kawamori Offers Details on Macross Delta Anime, Thunderbirds

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kougeru

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 1:36 am Reply with quote
Really excited for this anime
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 1:49 am Reply with quote
So I guess it's kind of a departure from the TV series in that it's not another emigration fleet, but world-bound much like Plus. As long as it's not Earth or Eden, it'd be fun to see what he does with it.

Quote:
The last television anime in the Macross franchise was Macross Frontier in 2007.

They sneaked the Deculture version of episode 1 to make the 25th anniversary deadline for 2007, but the show proper was 2008. I remember how hyped everyone was for that season, what with Frontier and Geass R2 both going at once.
jl07045

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 3:20 am Reply with quote
I can already see Kanno sampling the Top Gun theme for the OP. Very Happy
H. Guderian

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 4:55 am Reply with quote
This is why I love Kawamori's work. He clearly knows the main tenants of Macross. He knows what makes the franchise tick - but is entirely fearless in making new series different from the last. "We're still gonna do everything you like, but in new and unexpected ways!" When he says that stuff it makes me excited. I for one, enjoy the contrast between all the main entries in the franchise.
Marzan

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 6:45 am Reply with quote
Valk vs. Valk action? Yes please. And a planet bound setting too. Sounds a bit like Macross Zero or Plus except we know for a fact this will be a tv series and there will be idols (well Plus had one but she was a machine).
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 11:19 am Reply with quote
I would love to see a Thunderbirds anime. I remember watching it on Fox Kids over 20 years ago.
SWAnimefan

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 2:57 am Reply with quote
Valkyrie vs Valkyrie? Interesting, either this is Macross is going to be fighter racing or its something akin to Macross Zero as a type of fighter competition.

That said, I'd say it's racing.
Banken

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 9:36 am Reply with quote
What good is a Valkyrie for racing? I figure that humanity has split into two factions, with the cyborgs from Frontier being the bad guys in this series. Perhaps it will take place on the planet that Frontier or 7 finally ended up on? It might be a straight-forward war story, but I doubt it...
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 4:11 pm Reply with quote
You mean the cyborgs/transhumans from Galaxy? That one difference in Macross Frontier always made me curious about how autonomous and different each fleet must be, where one is full of people manipulating themselves and the other is more about being natural, and have zentradi around, and these were supposed be sister fleets headed in the same director. Then there's dozens of other fleets out there that must all be different still.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 4:30 pm Reply with quote
Well of course there will be a love triangle which means the fandom will be absolutely unbearable just like the Frontier one was.
Wrangler

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 9:41 pm Reply with quote
The designs look interesting. I'm looking forward to what they have in store for us.

I do hope it's not a recreation of Macross Plus. Fighter competition again. I don't care if it hasn't done in television form, but has been done in past.

The "new" Valkyrie seems to give a vibe is another form of the Ghost fighter. Only thing they've not done yet is a drone fighter, given this big thing in aviation....its properly one.
omiya

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 4:00 am Reply with quote
jl07045 wrote:
I can already see Kanno sampling the Top Gun theme for the OP. Very Happy

Compare the Top Gun theme with "First Love Final Love" from Genesis of Aquarion OST2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmeNa_BiZb4
Banken

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 8:13 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
You mean the cyborgs/transhumans from Galaxy? That one difference in Macross Frontier always made me curious about how autonomous and different each fleet must be, where one is full of people manipulating themselves and the other is more about being natural, and have zentradi around, and these were supposed be sister fleets headed in the same director. Then there's dozens of other fleets out there that must all be different still.

Yes....the transhumans from Frontier (the series).

Apparently they are almost entirely autonomous, and each fleet seems to have a fairly unique culture. Some are almost entirely Zentreadi. Some have full-sized Zentreadi, some don't. They have different laws, like bans on cybernetics...etc.

At the very least, it's almost certainly not going to be another fighter competition... each series has basically been unique as far as the basic plots go, albeit Frontier had some strong SDF Macross/DRYL motifs going on.
Melrian

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 3:53 pm Reply with quote
[quote="Banken"]
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
each series has basically been unique as far as the basic plots go, albeit Frontier had some strong SDF Macross/DRYL motifs going on.

I somewhat disagree. SDF/DYRL was mostly about the discovery about how human culture makes us what we are, while Frontier had very little of that.
Banken

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 4:48 am Reply with quote
I was talking about how Ranka and Sheryl are basically TV/DYRL Minmei.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2