• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Funimation Addresses Prison School Dub Comments Over Gamergate Line

Goto page   Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MantasB

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 2:04 am Reply with quote
Firstly: >funi
Secondly: >dubs
neonie

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 2:08 am Reply with quote
The title of this article should be "Funimation Attempts to Dodge Prison School Dub Comments Over Gamergate Line."

They literally didn't address shit. They just gave some pussyfooted answer that doesn't tell anyone anything.
Bastille

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 2:11 am Reply with quote
Well that's a rather half-assed response. Regardless of where you stand on the issue in question, this was an incredibly idiotic move on Funi's part. It changes the meaning of what was being said and needlessly drags external conflicts into anime. What good does that serve when trying to dub anime?

Still surprised Funi didn't do anything about it though, especially after the writer responsible took to their moral high ground on Twitter to stroke their ego off onto the "butthurt" masses below them. Are they that desperate for employees that they have no issue with them insulting their customer base?
GEO9875

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 2:22 am Reply with quote
anyone know what the original japanese line said?
Cyclone1993

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 2:26 am Reply with quote
If you drag real world issues into a dub for an anime and change the meaning of the line, it's pretty unforgivable. It doesn't make sense why they would even include that. If you make a cultural reference and in 5 years or so someone watches the dub and doesn't get it, then you probably should include a cultural reference. It will become dated, and won't reflect well on the product.

I understand they have some creative control on what's said, but this is stretching it a bit too far.
navycherub

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 2:28 am Reply with quote
GEO9875 wrote:
anyone know what the original japanese line said?

It's a line about how he needs to be more respectful addressing her because she is older.
megagold5

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 2:28 am Reply with quote
Huh, so that is what it was about. I do vaguely recall thinking at the time "well, that wasnt in the original version", but I never gave it a second thought.

99% of the time I believe that Funimation's localisation choices in terms of the script are improvements. If nowt else, they always seem to make it funnier.
TheMorry

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 2:30 am Reply with quote
Once again you guys proof to be such a drama queens. its impossible to translate correctly from a diffrent language to English. Somethings just do not make sense at all. And to think Funimation, the writers or the VA tries to make anyone pissed off is just beyond stupid. We customers are sometimes really impossible morons that demand to much.

Seriously guys, there are more things in this world wrong then to be pissed about over one bloody line in a dub.
thekingsdinner

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 2:32 am Reply with quote
'Adresses'? They're not addressing the issue at all in their response. Pretty lame move there.

Speaking of the issue, I still don't understand anything about the whole Gamergate fiasco. I've looked it up several times but I just can't figure it out.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
jirg1901

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 2:37 am Reply with quote
TheMorry wrote:
Somethings just do not make sense at all.

Yeah like an obscure geographically out of place reference that has no meaning related to the original dialogue or characterization and will be obsolete by the time the BDs come out.
Primus

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 2:38 am Reply with quote
If Funimation can include Gamergate and Rick Astley references in their dubs, I'm holding out hope for a gigantic "DEEZ NUTS" popping up in a harem show.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 2:41 am Reply with quote
Rolling Eyes Gamergate is a hateful, dishonest, creepshow and should be called out for it. But not like this. Nobody wants a professional dub with a bunch of added popculture/internet/topical references. It's distracting, dating, rarely funny, and belies an arrogant and disrespectful view on the part of the ADR director that the script needs to be punched up with his little additions. Leave that shit for the abridged parodies.
Bastille

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 2:48 am Reply with quote
TheMorry wrote:
Once again you guys proof to be such a drama queens. its impossible to translate correctly from a diffrent language to English. Somethings just do not make sense at all. And to think Funimation, the writers or the VA tries to make anyone pissed off is just beyond stupid. We customers are sometimes really impossible morons that demand to much.

Seriously guys, there are more things in this world wrong then to be pissed about over one bloody line in a dub.

This isn't classic Japanese poetry that we're dealing with. Instead of translating the line to carry the same meaning, it turned into something different.

"Show some respect when talking to me. I'm your senior here."
vs
"Have you got a stick up your ass? Are you one of those GamerGate creeps?"

Also, they were well aware of what they were doing when referencing GamerGate. They had every intent to piss off their customers, given that the writer took to Twitter and started mocking the people messaging them to ask why it was done. Didn't matter if it was a neutral "Why did you change the meaning of what was being said?" or an angry tweet demanding their head.

Last edited by Bastille on Sat Oct 03, 2015 2:49 am; edited 1 time in total
Running Wild

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 2:49 am Reply with quote
I miss Genon's Lupin III english dub with classic lines such as "This guy's taller than Shaq!"
zeopower6

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 2:52 am Reply with quote
Bad move. Not really a fan of extreme localization like this.

Last edited by zeopower6 on Sat Oct 03, 2015 3:12 am; edited 1 time in total
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page   Next
Page 1 of 17