• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Masashi Kishimoto at New York Comic-con

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
braves

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 11:10 am Reply with quote
I got to see Kishimoto at both the SoHo and the NYCC events. He was a very nice man, very humble throughout the whole experience. Never thought I would get the chance to see him in person. Of the two events, the SoHo event was better because it was a much more intimate environment. I happened to run across the event by chance on Twitter.

I got a seat to the NYCC panel, but I was seated towards the back. I really had to look at the screen just to get a good look at Kishimoto.

Quote:
(audience shouts "Jiraiya")

lol In actually, it was much more chaotic than this from where I was sitting. It felt like we had about 30 seconds to a minute of people screaming their favorite characters name before Kishimoto settled on Jiraiya.

Quote:
Masashi Kishimoto:
I am about to cry tears of joy.

That was a very touching moment. It was nice to be a part of it. :D
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
malvarez1

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 11:33 am Reply with quote
As a huge Naruto fan, these interviews were a blast to read. Kishimoto sounds like a cool guy!
Nonaka Machine Gun B

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 12:06 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I suppose one possibility would be to write the story from Sasuke's perspective

But you already did that; it's called Naruto.

Boom! Roasted! I'm an original thinker and cool! Does anybody else notice how much screentime Sasuke got? Just me? Okay.

These were great to read. I checked out of the series around the third quarter, which kind of seems like a waste, but I'm not too keen on starting over just so the last fourth of the series resonates properly, so I probably will never complete Naruto. Regardless, it was a reliable constant in my life for a few years and it's influence and reach can't be denied, so when the creator makes the jump to comment on his influences and process, it sort of demands your attention. Very funny how his wife and many of the women working on the anime didn't care for the ending.

I'll certainly give that sci-fi series a shot.

(This is the ultimate in pedantic complaining, but my neuroticism flared up whenever the interviews italicized "Naruto" when someone was speaking about the character, when you should only do that when speaking of the title/franchise itself.)
Helius

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 10:42 pm Reply with quote
So what happened to the interview? It was here yesterday but now gone??

Part II and III of the Kishimoto feature popped up suddenly but Part I is nowhere to be found... Question
Dextres

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 6:14 am Reply with quote
Man youtube comment section is going to blow up after this one when Youtubers like Forneverworld, Sawyer7mage, Double4anime, etc start positing their responses.
braves

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 10:17 am Reply with quote
Helius wrote:
So what happened to the interview? It was here yesterday but now gone??

Part II and III of the Kishimoto feature popped up suddenly but Part I is nowhere to be found... Question
I'm guessing Apple told ANN to take down Part I because it's too soon after Apple posted the video podcast for it. You can go watch the video here: https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/meet-the-author/id266215977?mt=2

EDIT: I see now that the SoHo event been summarized and it's not a full transcript.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 11:03 am Reply with quote
Yep - there was a miscommunication about our exact permissions with the Apple Store recording. It's been fixed now. Apologies for the inconvenience.
Lelouch Vi

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 11:50 am Reply with quote
Someone should have asked about Neji
leatherhead333

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 3:21 pm Reply with quote
Honestly I'm not quite sure I believe him deciding on choosing Hinata to be with Naruto in the middle of the story. She largely got shoved to the side after the Pain arc (even then she wasn't that important) and it was only because of the death of Neji that we saw the two fighting side by side. I feel like if he intended to have Naruto end up with her she should have been included much more than she was. Kind of feel like the animators showing bias towards her might have swayed his opinion personally.
Mikael Z. Haswell

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 4:00 pm Reply with quote
leatherhead333 wrote:
Honestly I'm not quite sure I believe him deciding on choosing Hinata to be with Naruto in the middle of the story. She largely got shoved to the side after the Pain arc (even then she wasn't that important) and it was only because of the death of Neji that we saw the two fighting side by side. I feel like if he intended to have Naruto end up with her she should have been included much more than she was. Kind of feel like the animators showing bias towards her might have swayed his opinion personally.

How many times does he have to say it before you accept that it was his decision to end it like he did? First he said at the beginning of the year Sakura would have been a terrible women if she just suddenly decided to love Naruto. Then he said he always wanted to draw the love story between Naruto and Hinata but was too embarrassed. Then he said he red penciled the Last script so much SP thought he was a tyrant. He based the love story off his wife giving him a scarf. Now we have this. I don't know what else he can say besides shoving it in your face to get you to believe him. The exact words were "They were always meant to be." I am seriously astounded you can still think SP influenced his mind when not even his wife could.
Hyperdrve

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 4:38 pm Reply with quote
Lelouch Vi wrote:

This x 1000. Can't agree more.
Jajanken

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 4:39 pm Reply with quote
WAIT IS THAT AN ALTERNATE ART COVER FOR VOLUME 72!?!?!?
Mikael Z. Haswell

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 4:45 pm Reply with quote
Hyperdrve wrote:
Lelouch Vi wrote:

This x 1000. Can't agree more.

He already saidspoiler[ he killed Neji] to make Naruto and Hinata closer does anyone pay attention to these things?
leatherhead333

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 5:21 pm Reply with quote
Mikael Z. Haswell wrote:

How many times does he have to say it before you accept that it was his decision to end it like he did? First he said at the beginning of the year Sakura would have been a terrible women if she just suddenly decided to love Naruto. Then he said he always wanted to draw the love story between Naruto and Hinata but was too embarrassed. Then he said he red penciled the Last script so much SP thought he was a tyrant. He based the love story off his wife giving him a scarf. Now we have this. I don't know what else he can say besides shoving it in your face to get you to believe him. The exact words were "They were always meant to be." I am seriously astounded you can still think SP influenced his mind when not even his wife could.

Well considering you haven't made a comment on your account for so long but did so today just to rant about this you obviously must be very passionate on the issue.

My qualms with the pairing is that Hinata never had importance throughout the story.........like at all honestly. And if the interview is correct he clearly stated he decided on the pairing in the middle of his story which would likely be the early stages of Shippuden. If he truly decided on the pairing that early on don't you think he should have involved her in story much more than he did? She was literally shoved in during the last fight out of NOWHERE. And yet we are supposed to believe this pairing was destined to be since nearly the beginning of Shippuden? Sorry that's just not going to happen. Even if Sakura was the most ignored of Team 7 at least she was involved with Sasuke's antics enough for me to see the pairing work (though I personally hate it). Naruto and Hinata barely held a handful of conversations through the entirety of the manga.

Yet in the anime Hinata has giving 100 times more character development. Heck Hinata basically got an entire episode dedicated to her battle against Pain when in the manga she was done in like a couple pages. It's clear that SP had Hinata bias. There is no disputing that. They've had it since the first Naruto series. I'm not saying his claim is false. I just don't see enough evidence to support it.

Personally I don't care to much about the pairings. The problem is Kishi never really developed their relationships to the point I could see him planning them out so early on that's all.
Mikael Z. Haswell

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 5:48 pm Reply with quote
leatherhead333 wrote:
Mikael Z. Haswell wrote:

Well considering you haven't made a comment on your account for so long but did so today just to rant about this you obviously must be very passionate on the issue.

My qualms with the pairing is that Hinata never had importance throughout the story.........like at all honestly. And if the interview is correct he clearly stated he decided on the pairing in the middle of his story which would likely be the early stages of Shippuden. If he truly decided on the pairing that early on don't you think he should have involved her in story much more than he did? She was literally shoved in during the last fight out of NOWHERE. And yet we are supposed to believe this pairing was destined to be since nearly the beginning of Shippuden? Sorry that's just not going to happen. Even if Sakura was the most ignored of Team 7 at least she was involved with Sasuke's antics enough for me to see the pairing work (though I personally hate it). Naruto and Hinata barely held a handful of conversations through the entirety of the manga.

Yet in the anime Hinata has giving 100 times more character development. Heck Hinata basically got an entire episode dedicated to her battle against Pain when in the manga she was done in like a couple pages. It's clear that SP had Hinata bias. There is no disputing that. They've had it since the first Naruto series. I'm not saying his claim is false. I just don't see enough evidence to support it.

Personally I don't care to much about the pairings. The problem is Kishi never really developed their relationships to the point I could see him planning them out so early on that's all.

The only reason I'm passionate about this issue is the fact that people can't leave the man alone over a pairing in an action manga. And by your logic any side character should never end up with the hero. Which is a bunch of bull crap because Genny and Harry got together and they barely interacted at all in the series, Goku and Chi Chi got together and she became almost none existent after the original DB manga. And if the confession during the Pain arch was not enough to seal the deal I think you must have been reading the wrong manga. Kishimoto also stated Naruto is clueless about romantic love or he would have known how Hinata felt way earlier. Of course SP has Hinata bias but if you read this interview there were plenty on the staff that wanted him to end up with Sakura. But none of that matters because he has said repeatedly it was his choice. And early stages of shippiden is plenty of time to decide on a pair, the reason why he did not develop it more is because he said he is embarrassed writing romance and not to mention it's a action manga. My gosh just leave the man alone and accept it was his choice and I could care less what you ship. I would have said the same thing had NaruSaku been canon.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3