• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Anthem of the Heart Film's 22-Minute English-Subtitled Video Features Clips, Interviews

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alabaster Spectrum

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 11:00 pm Reply with quote
The thing I don't like about the rather aggressive promotion of this movie in Japan is that the obviously pre-written press packages for it keeps going on about how it's this huge original success that didn't have a lead-in anime or game for it, but then they neglect to mention that they hawked the crap out of the fact that it was the staff for the popular Ano Hana series as much as they possibly could and that it would be a film in a similar vein (really this is practically all I remember the promo packages talking about besides the obvious fact that it would be a Japanese style melodramatic tear-jerker) and also used one of the most popular idol acts in all of Japan (Nogizaka46 signed under Sony Music label) that has nothing to do with the story or themes of the film simply to promote the film as much as possible in videos of them crying or advocating for the film rather blatantly in the producers voices and even used them for the theme song.

All of these are factors that no doubt contributed the most towards it's attention and ability to attract viewers so it's obviously not just an original hit film out of nowhere with nothing backing it like the marketing packages want people to believe. Hell it had one of the most extensive ad campaigns and press packages for an animated film this side of Disney/Ghibli boasting about how it was going to be a film of comparable prestige to those of Ghibli and Mamoru Hosoda's greatest classics.

The whole film and painfully canned and carefully structure promotion with it's constant box office updates really feels like one big ego trip for Sony and I'm glad it doesn't look like it's going to set any records or really even come close to The Boy and The Beast's genuine popularity (which is clearly what mattered most to the films promoters) for them to brag even further about and give them even funnier ideas of trying to use more mainstream acts and staff gimmicks to promote films with. Over-promoted film if ever there was one, makes me wonder how much the overall ad campaign for it actually cost cause it's got to be one of the more expensive ones in recent memory along with one of the widest theater releases for a film.
Elves

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 11:21 pm Reply with quote
I've been looking forward to the film because the staff from Ano Hana was working on it, so all that promotional packaging did its job. lol Wink

Now I just hope that Aniplex doesn't gouge the prospective audience stateside who either want to watch/own it. *sigh* Though I bet that is beyond wishful thinking at this point.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 11:57 pm Reply with quote
@Alabaster Spectrum

Obviously they are doing something right. You felt the need to write out three large paragraphs for a movie you haven't even seen yet. If the lead in publicity can get you that passionate for the film, it is money well spent.

Just because of Anohana and Toradora, I will watch this movie.
ChrissyC

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 12:48 am Reply with quote
22Min, that`s a quite revealing release.
garlogan78

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 12:53 am Reply with quote
Alabaster Spectrum wrote:
The thing I don't like about the rather aggressive promotion of this movie in Japan is that the obviously pre-written press packages for it keeps going on about how it's this huge original success that didn't have a lead-in anime or game for it, but then they neglect to mention that they hawked the crap out of the fact that it was the staff for the popular Ano Hana series as much as they possibly could and that it would be a film in a similar vein (really this is practically all I remember the promo packages talking about besides the obvious fact that it would be a Japanese style melodramatic tear-jerker) and also used one of the most popular idol acts in all of Japan (Nogizaka46 signed under Sony Music label) that has nothing to do with the story or themes of the film simply to promote the film as much as possible in videos of them crying or advocating for the film rather blatantly in the producers voices and even used them for the theme song.

All of these are factors that no doubt contributed the most towards it's attention and ability to attract viewers so it's obviously not just an original hit film out of nowhere with nothing backing it like the marketing packages want people to believe. Hell it had one of the most extensive ad campaigns and press packages for an animated film this side of Disney/Ghibli boasting about how it was going to be a film of comparable prestige to those of Ghibli and Mamoru Hosoda's greatest classics.

The whole film and painfully canned and carefully structure promotion with it's constant box office updates really feels like one big ego trip for Sony and I'm glad it doesn't look like it's going to set any records or really even come close to The Boy and The Beast's genuine popularity (which is clearly what mattered most to the films promoters) for them to brag even further about and give them even funnier ideas of trying to use more mainstream acts and staff gimmicks to promote films with. Over-promoted film if ever there was one, makes me wonder how much the overall ad campaign for it actually cost cause it's got to be one of the more expensive ones in recent memory along with one of the widest theater releases for a film.

Exactly haha.

Also, the trainline I use (Seibu Shinjuku) promoted the movie like crazy. PVs played in the train advertisement TVs, there were posters in each train car and at each station, and there was also an event sponsored by the station about the movie. I couldn't /not/ stuff about the movie for a month or so leading up to it.
ChrissyC

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 12:56 am Reply with quote

Yes, you`re quite right. It has really used it`s resources, to the maximum capacity.

Now, I wonder if the film is actually any good.
Alabaster Spectrum

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 1:43 am Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
@Alabaster Spectrum

Obviously they are doing something right. You felt the need to write out three large paragraphs for a movie you haven't even seen yet. If the lead in publicity can get you that passionate for the film, it is money well spent.

Just because of Anohana and Toradora, I will watch this movie.

It's utterly pointless really and the fact that people write about it has nothing to do with "doing something right". It has nothing to do with passion for the film either, it's called commentary. There will always be people out there that just willingly believe that the louder something is trumpeted the greater it is of course, even if it's all just coming from the source itself as is usually the case with Sony marketing these days. Some people it's just a turn off, myself included.

{No one-liners. ~nobahn}
garlogan78

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 2:14 am Reply with quote

How was the advertising for this on the trains versus say the Boy and the Beast?

I can't really answer that. I came to Japan while the film was in theaters so I didn't get to see any of the lead up advertising.
vanfanel

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 7:58 am Reply with quote
I've been on the fence about seeing this; I like the art style and promo images, but what I saw of "AnoHana" is scaring me away. That series was was one of the most maudlin things I've ever seen, and I'd rather not pay Japanese ticket prices for long stretches of characters bawling their eyes out and weeping at the top of their lungs.

If anyone's seen this film and found it to be more tastefully restrained, let me know. I can do sad and tragic -- "Windaria" is one of my all-time favorites. But wallowing in tragedy isn't in and of itself a selling point for me.
garlogan78

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 8:09 am Reply with quote
vanfanel wrote:
I've been on the fence about seeing this; I like the art style and promo images, but what I saw of "AnoHana" is scaring me away. That series was was one of the most maudlin things I've ever seen, and I'd rather not pay Japanese ticket prices for long stretches of characters bawling their eyes out and weeping at the top of their lungs.

If anyone's seen this film and found it to be more tastefully restrained, let me know. I can do sad and tragic -- "Windaria" is one of my all-time favorites. But wallowing in tragedy isn't in and of itself a selling point for me.

It isn't more restrained. If you didn't like AnoHana, I wouldn't watch it. (Though I actually adored AnoHana and didn't care for KokoSake).
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 11:37 am Reply with quote
Now, if it was the first 22 minutes of the movie, that would be nice since they would be offering a fair amount to foreign viewers.
Brian_FTP

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 3:20 am Reply with quote
Aah! I want to see this movie so badly. I hope that they add a showing or two in Chicago. *crosses fingers*
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1