• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ERASED (TV).

Goto page   Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 10:42 pm Reply with quote

ERASED (TV)

Genres: mystery
Themes: time travel

Plot Summary: Satoru Fujinuma is a struggling manga artist who has the ability to turn back time and prevent deaths. When his mother is killed he turns back time to solve the mystery, but ends up back in elementary school, just before the disappearance of his classmate Kayo.
----------------------------------

I think the premise sounds pretty interesting and from what I’ve heard and read, it’s a pretty good story with what it has so far. The original series is still ongoing though so I’m curious to see how they will adapt this.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 1:59 pm Reply with quote
Episode 1:

That was perfect from start to finish. Yes, it'll take some time to understand the story better especially with Satoru's background but the way it was directed got everything what I had expected.

The show combines elements of thriller, mystery, and explores the darker side of resolving conflicts with second chances. What a great episode. Noitamina knows how to entertain the audience and I can't wait to see more. Also, this is an 12 episode show which is somewhat unusual because of the network.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
A Mystery

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 2:14 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, that was completely awesome. Everything seemed to flow so naturally, that direction was somehow really well done. I was already thinking though: spoiler['an anime where a mother is alive!!] Wait... Laughing
Actually what happened afterwards was a nice twist in my opinion spoiler[(the scene where the neighbor obviously instantly suspected him)].

With an ending like that, it's hard to tell how the show will continue. He's got an enormous spoiler[time span to cover between the 29-year old at the beginning and the child at the end.]

I'm excited about this show.
v1cious

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 6:28 pm Reply with quote
Mature protagonist, no lame pervert jokes..Am I dreaming? has anime actually evolved? This felt more like an American series. I am REALLY liking where this show is going.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 7:25 pm Reply with quote
Can the title of this thread be amended to reflect the English title (Erased)? It took me a bit to find this, and it's so short I expect it to be the title the masses adopt.

But yeah, that's how you do a first episode! I was on board less than 5 min in, and nothing that came after disappointed me. My only quibble is the cliche of being caught with blood on his hands before he had a chance to call the police (who seemed to arrive awfully quickly! I wonder if they were called by the killer?). I can understand the reasoning behind doing it like that though. One little cliche isn't enough to derail such a strong start.
HelloBucket

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 8:21 pm Reply with quote
episode one

I had read the series synopsis before watching, so I'm a little disappointed in myself for not thinking more about this during the initial viewing: I'm kind of curious as to the role/importance of the teenage girl at the pizza place Satoru was working, given that we've just been launched far back in time.

I'm getting the feeling that like a lot of mystery shows as of late, the focus here isn't quite going to be the mystery so much as other elements surrounding it. Not that this is a bad thing. I also wouldn't mind being wrong.
Galap

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 10:03 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Can the title of this thread be amended to reflect the English title (Erased)?

Done.

As for this first episode, cool stuff. It feels kind of like a Philip K Dick story. I don't think there are any specific works of his that involve traveling through time to avert bad fates, but the whole way it plays out, with him not knowing why this happens and the slightly menacing atmosphere seems to fit very well.

I'm definitely going to keep watching this one. Nothing specific that happened in this first episode made me particularly excited, but I'm pretty interested to see what happens.

I tend not to like to talk about animation studios, because I think that there often aren't really many conclusions you can draw from talking about what studio made an animation, but A1 pictures is one of the few counterexamples for me. They have a record of making series that are attempting to be serious and intellectual. A lot of these don't end up being the best (Galilei Donna, Aldnoah Zero, etc.) but even these manage to be very interesting nonetheless. Their series that are on the ball can be REALLY big for me (Birdy, From the New World, Space Brothers).

I'm glad they keep trying to make series that are Serious Business, because some of them are very good. Let's hope this one is, too!
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 1:05 am Reply with quote
Stark700 wrote:
That was perfect from start to finish.

This. Every marking of a near-Masterpiece if not all out Masterpiece series. Each character introduced seem to have an extremely solid personality.

That mom was definitely unusual. (I bet she was hot as hell when she was first married [with poofy lips]). I really didn't expect the story to shift to her point of view so intimately. But they did it and as a result the story got fully developed in just the one episode.
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 8:18 am Reply with quote
This is one of those anime that you need to be concentrated to watch.
It's certainly intriguing.
Damn, his mom is weird-ish, but observant.
She was onto something with that case.
Did not expect such a twist!
This anime has potential.
Will give it a try!
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 8:20 am Reply with quote
Episode 1

I read somewhere about the time shift part of the series, and it did not really get me interested, I kind of expected myself to feel this was not my thing. But hot damn this was a fine first episode.

My only warning is, that I feel like I experienced something like this before with Terror in Resonance, a masterful first episode, before I ended up disappointed as all downhill from there. I feel like I am being led to something like in the series in needing to look for the difference or warning signs.

I actually had my eye drawn to the man walking the little girl before even he faced the repeat. Maybe that goes against the double standards of automatically being suspicious of an older man with a young child, but I guess it felt kind of off in the way that even though it was the background, it felt off.

So what will be the format from here? Why introduce the school girl if we are going to spend the entire season before she was even born? Maybe we will have flashes back and forth where we might see the influences of things he does differently 18 years earlier on 2006.

I do think the first episode touched quite well on the anxiety of wondering if you should or should not do something, and how you might regret later how you might have done something to change things.
Dessa

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 10:31 am Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
Mature protagonist, no lame pervert jokes..Am I dreaming? has anime actually evolved? This felt more like an American series. I am REALLY liking where this show is going.

I'd argue that lame pervert jokes are what makes up 99% of American comedy, and show up constantly everywhere else, so this felt like it couldn't be FURTHER from an American series.

I'm enjoying this, though. It wasn't on my initial radar, checking anicharrt, but when I saw it got picked up by Crunchy, I read the description again, and figured it could be interesting. It definitely hooked me.

Last night I did quibble about how he was automatically suspected, even though the time of death would clearly put him at work at the time, but this morning I realized that he would be suspected, and then cleared after the autopsy, so that doesn't bug me now.

That he's an aspiring manga artist does seem a bit out-of-place and unneeded at the moment, other than random character development, but given the comment about needing to feel him in there, I'm guessing that the ending will involve spoiler[him writing a manga about what happens, and finally getting his big break]. His coworker looking a bit like the murdered girl, I feel, may be involved, too.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 1:45 pm Reply with quote
Just an aside thing I was wondering. Is it typical for a mother to want to hook up her unmarried 29 year old son with a high school girl?
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 2:03 pm Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:
Just an aside thing I was wondering. Is it typical for a mother to want to hook up her unmarried 29 year old son with a high school girl?

Maybe she was desperate for grandkids.
Shikiari

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 2:46 pm Reply with quote
I have to agree with the general concensus that the first episode was rather excellent and has got me pretty excited for the rest of the series. If i had one slight nit-picking point, it's that the Mothers lips were so captivating, I ended up just staring at them rather than anything else. Kinda hot, but distracting nonetheless...
Megiddo

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 6:57 pm Reply with quote
Thought it was a passable first episode, definitely worth continuing at least to see where it's going. That said, I really really really want to know exactly how and why the neighbor opened the door. We clearly saw Satoru close the door, so unless she's involved with the actual killer in trying to frame Satoru, it makes absolutely zero sense for her to just immediately open the door (then again, even if she was involved in framing him how would she know he would have bloodied hands)

Just altogether a very strange scene. If that's a sample of what I'm in for in the future then I'm not looking forward to it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page   Next
Page 1 of 14