• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sony Previews PS2 Emulation for PS4 in Video

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
noigeL

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 11:21 pm Reply with quote
So, Sony expects me to re-buy these titles after all. Sliding a PS2 disc into the PS4 and playing the game I already purchased just isn't in the cards, eh?

[insert swear word(s) here]
mewpudding101
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 11:42 pm Reply with quote
Two Level 5 RPG titles. And yet they completely ignore them for Layton and Yōkai Watch in their 15th anniversary conference. Excuse me while I go cry in a corner...
Kougeru

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 11:43 pm Reply with quote
Requiring people to re-buy digital Ps2 classics is a HORRIBLE move.

Also The PS4 does not offer any kind of backwards compatibility." Isn't true as of a few weeks ago, since they already have those PS2 star wars games running PS4. So it should be worded "The PS4 did not originally offer any kind of backwards compatibility" or something like that.
KH91

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 11:47 pm Reply with quote
noigeL wrote:
So, Sony expects me to re-buy these titles after all. Sliding a PS2 disc into the PS4 and playing the game I already purchased just isn't in the cards, eh?

Stop being lazy and take that dusty ass PS2 out of your closet and hook it up. No one is forcing you to re-buy anything. It is an option. Razz

Last edited by KH91 on Fri Dec 04, 2015 11:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
Megiddo

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 11:47 pm Reply with quote
No, it's true that that the PS4 does not offer backwards compatibility. What it does offer is emulation for a specific subset of titles that have been updated to work with whatever emulation method they're using. That's not the same thing.
Krazy_0taku

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 11:52 pm Reply with quote
For people that don't seem to get it, the reason that PS2 disc's won't be supported is because they are upscaling the games and adding trophy support, which can't be done to physical/existing copies of the game. Besides, they need to earn money, which they can only do by selling copies of the games, not letting people play free of charge through discs (which most people don't have nowadays, except old people, collectors, or dedicated gamers).
huyhn

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 12:26 am Reply with quote
i'm not 100% against re-buying games however these are PS2 games which some are 10 years old or more Sony can't upscale the games that much and they're being sold for $15 on PSN a pop. Unless theses games cost $5 and under, I'd rather Sony have just make it an add-on free or separate fee to PSplus.

This PS2 on PS4 will likely have either a horrible or dead launch because of price and initial game selection, they should promote this feature by either giving PSplus members 1 free game or large discount on first purchase.
Ambimunch

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 12:54 am Reply with quote
Stupid, leaving out so many fans of other titles. I played niche games my whole life, these games won't ever be up for downloading. Just let me slide my (already purchased) disc in and play my ps2 game library. And even if by some miracle a game I like did pop up, why re buy it when I own it?

noigeL wrote:

Nahh you can swear, this is fvcking stupid on Sony's part.
OpinionatedWeaboo

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 1:00 am Reply with quote
Fate/Unlimited Codes please, Sony.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 1:07 am Reply with quote
Ambimunch wrote:
Just let me slide my (already purchased) disc in and play my ps2 game library.

That disc contains files with an architecture that is meant to be processed specifically by PS2 hardware. Without the PS2 hardware the disc is useless. To achieve PS2 compatibility for the early generation PS3 they actually had a full set of PS2 hardware that was separate from the PS3, just to play PS2 games. That was really expensive and people didn't want to pay a super high price so Sony cut that from the later models for the PS3.

So. you are asking for an impossibility. If you want to play a PS2 game from a disc then play it on your PS2 or early generation PS3. People don't buy consoles for compatibility. That's more PC thing, and even then, the shift from DOS-based to 9x to x86 to 64 bit has cause a large number of titles to be incompatible without significant patchwork.
NoremaC-_-

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 1:38 am Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
Ambimunch wrote:
Just let me slide my (already purchased) disc in and play my ps2 game library.

That disc contains files with an architecture that is meant to be processed specifically by PS2 hardware. Without the PS2 hardware the disc is useless. To achieve PS2 compatibility for the early generation PS3 they actually had a full set of PS2 hardware that was separate from the PS3, just to play PS2 games. That was really expensive and people didn't want to pay a super high price so Sony cut that from the later models for the PS3.

So. you are asking for an impossibility. If you want to play a PS2 game from a disc then play it on your PS2 or early generation PS3. People don't buy consoles for compatibility. That's more PC thing, and even then, the shift from DOS-based to 9x to x86 to 64 bit has cause a large number of titles to be incompatible without significant patchwork.

THANK YOU! btw isn't there also the legal issue of synthesising BIO's for PS2s? simply emulating the game on ps4 while using the ps2 disc would technically be pirating; as legal emulation desires the user to upload the bios from their PS2 as well as extract the game from the disc.

as such simply buying a modified copy of the game built to function on ps4 software seems to be the only legal option? this wasn't really an issue with ps1-ps2-ps3 since they had hardware from the previous consoles in the new consoles and by extension a bios installed on the console.
Covnam

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 1:44 am Reply with quote
Sony has been pretty good with supporting older software, cross-buy and the like, but this is a big step back for them in my opinion. Not even supporting PS2 classic purchases? Evil or Very Mad

It can be done. They just need to add software emulation as a standalone support to the console. How do you think these games are playing? No way they're rebuilding all these games from scratch. They must have an emulation "wrapper" that they just dump the game into, just like how Microsoft is doing with the Xbox One.

The extra features, trophies and other ps4 social services, are likely tailored in this "wrapper" for each game. These are the justifications Sony has been saying are why they cost so much. They could just leave that out and have a general ps2 emulator on the ps4 so you could just pop your disc in. Or even give the option for both (buy the ps4 feature version or play the original).
Alternatively, they could require a disc to be in the drive and stream it via PS Now or download it to your console like Microsoft is doing.

The ps2 pc emulator's recommended specs are worse than hardware of the ps4, so I'm sure Sony could make it work. And if they can't there are other options as I mentioned.
HyugaHinata

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 2:09 am Reply with quote
YESSSSSS!!! I can finally plow through Rogue Galaxy!
Emerje

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 2:16 am Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
So. you are asking for an impossibility.

There are working PS2 emulators for PC that can play off of a PS2 DVD or ISO so the PS4 should technically be able to do the same. Even the PS3 uses full software emulation for PS2 downloads. The games don't really care about the hardware as long as the emulater makes it compatable. Sure, using PS2 hardware in the system would be a whole lot easier, but software emulation without upscaling and achievements should be entirely possible for the company that created the PS2 in the first place. But why do that for free when you can pick the games and charge people again to play them?

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
partially

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 3:10 am Reply with quote
Krazy_0taku wrote:
For people that don't seem to get it, the reason that PS2 disc's won't be supported is because they are upscaling the games and adding trophy support, which can't be done to physical/existing copies of the game.

You do realise that the 360 games on Xbox One does all these things too right?

There is nothing stopping Sony doing the same as Microsoft. Except the fact they don't want to obviously.

People seem very mistaken as to how the Xbox One BC works. It is NOT playing the game off the disc. The game on Xbox One is an updated one so that upscaling and achievements work, it is not the same code as on the disc. The Xbox One simply reads the disc ID to verify what the game is, and that it is a legit disc. This then initialises a 'purchase' of the updated game off the Xbox store, and you then download it. The only thing the disc is used for is to make this purchase, and then act as DRM. Since the purchase was initiated by the fact you already owned the disc, you have to insert it each time you want to play. No data is ever read off the disc.

In this way there is nothing stopping Sony from using exactly the same method on the PS4. The PS2 used a standard disc drive. Although the disc data used a non-standard filesystem, there is nothing stopping the PS4 from being able to pickup and register the disc ID and using this to initiate a PSN purchase.

Krazy_0taku wrote:
Besides, they need to earn money, which they can only do by selling copies of the games, not letting people play free of charge through discs (which most people don't have nowadays, except old people, collectors, or dedicated gamers).

Yep, keep being a company stooge mate. Back in the day they handed out game discs for free, we never supported the companies that made games. People only started paying for such things when the world went digital. You young folks, you have to pay for games that we got free, sucks to be you!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4