• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Ghibli's When Marnie Was There Anime Nominated for Oscar

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TG72

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 8:49 am Reply with quote
Of course, none of those have a chance against Inside Out. But that is a very deserving film and at least Ghibili racks up another nomination.
Ahiru77

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 8:49 am Reply with quote
I was waiting minutes on you to post this!!! xDD

Yes! We were really happy!

When they said it....it was like winning a game!
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 9:36 am Reply with quote
Inside Out's gonna be shut out, just like The Lego Movie. You see, the voters hate anime, and Inside Out's the closest you're going to get to capturing the sensibility of anime. And that's what they hate the most about it. And if you're going to bring up Ghibli, they do not count it as 'anime'. They count it as 'cartoons from Japan'.
SquadmemberRitsu

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 9:39 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Inside Out
Yeah, sorry. As much as I'd like to see it happen it's not gonna.
Animeking1108

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 9:56 am Reply with quote
We look forward to "Inside Out" or even "The Good Dinosaur" winning by default.
koinosuke

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 10:03 am Reply with quote
Animeking1108 wrote:
We look forward to "Inside Out" or even "The Good Dinosaur" winning by default.

The Good Dinosaur didn't even make the cut, it seems -- which makes it even cooler that Marnie got in the bracket. Really happy to see Marnie nominated. Unlike the past two years, I won't be too terribly upset when the Ghibli film inevitably loses (Inside Out was a great movie and is deserving), but Marnie is a great movie too and I'm glad it got this recognition, especially as it'll almost certainly be the last Ghibli film to do so.

Unless, that is, if Only Yesterday somehow sneaks in next year despite having originally been released in Japan in 1991, haha.
pajmo9

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 10:12 am Reply with quote
One of the best animated films I've seen in a while. Definitely deserved the nomination.
RestLessone

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 10:27 am Reply with quote
Always nice when anime gets nominated. Haven't seen Marnie yet, though.

Inside Out is most likely to win. I don't mind, though--it was a great film. I've also heard Anomalisa is superb. It's a rare R rated American animated film, too.
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 11:05 am Reply with quote
I don't like the way the Oscars for best animated film work: they pick a bunch of low quality children entertainment products to fill up most of the spots, the occasional decent Pixar movie, which inevitably wins against the pathetic domestic competition, the foreign movie (represented usually by a Ghibli) that shows Hollywood is "aware" of foreign movies, but of course, they never give the prize to it (even though the Ghibli film usually is clearly superior).

Still, Inside Out was actually a very good movie. With some actual artistic content, the first time since 2009 that Pixar makes a seriously good movie.

Anyway, people who are serious about movies know that the Oscars are irrelevant.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ryu Shoji

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 11:06 am Reply with quote
The only real surprise for me is that Minions didn't earn a nomination; because it was the only other candidate I would say had a fighting chance against Inside Out.

I guess all those completely unrelated memes filling Facebook rubbed the Academy in the wrong way.
TnAdct1

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 11:22 am Reply with quote
Ryu Shoji wrote:
The only real surprise for me is that Minions didn't earn a nomination; because it was the only other candidate I would say had a fighting chance against Inside Out.

I guess all those completely unrelated memes filling Facebook rubbed the Academy in the wrong way.
Personally, if there was any real snub in terms of Best Animated Feature, it would be the lack of nomination for The Peanuts Movie (as I personally didn't consider Minions to be Oscar material, while The Good Dinosaur was the obvious choice to be cut in favor of a film that Gkids is distributing in America).

In lesser Oscar-related anime news, Bryan Cranston, who did some anime dub work early in his career, was nominated for Best Actor for his work in Trumbo.
JennLegacy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 11:31 am Reply with quote
Jose Cruz wrote:
I don't like the way the Oscars for best animated film work: they pick a bunch of low quality children entertainment products to fill up most of the spots, the occasional decent Pixar movie, which inevitably wins against the pathetic domestic competition, the foreign movie (represented usually by a Ghibli) that shows Hollywood is "aware" of foreign movies, but of course, they never give the prize to it (even though the Ghibli film usually is clearly superior).

That doesn't even reflect the nominations this year in the slightest. There's the Pixar film of course, but there's a whopping three foreign films this year (and yes, Shaun the Sheep counts as foreign), and the only other domestic nomination is a film aimed for adults.
Apollo-kun

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 11:50 am Reply with quote
TnAdct1 wrote:
Ryu Shoji wrote:

Personally, if there was any real snub in terms of Best Animated Feature, it would be the lack of nomination for The Peanuts Movie (as I personally didn't consider Minions to be Oscar material, while The Good Dinosaur was the obvious choice to be cut in favor of a film that Gkids is distributing in America).

In lesser Oscar-related anime news, Bryan Cranston, who did some anime dub work early in his career, was nominated for Best Actor for his work in Trumbo.
Thank you! The Peanuts Movie was one of the best domestic animated movies I'd seen in years, and I feel like it's a total crime that it wasn't at least nominated.
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 12:21 pm Reply with quote
It would be nice if it wins but it wont do to they are all idiots
Apollo-kun

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 12:29 pm Reply with quote
TnAdct1 wrote:
Ryu Shoji wrote:

Thank you! The Peanuts Movie was one of the best domestic animated movies I'd seen in years, and I feel like it's a total crime that it wasn't at least nominated.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3