• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
AOKANA: Four Rhythm Across the Blue (TV).

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 10:35 pm Reply with quote

Ao no Kanata no Four Rhythm (TV)

Genres: Drama, Romance, School, Sci-fi
Themes:

Plot Summary: In a world where flying is as simple as riding a bicycle, there is a popular sport called "Flying Circus."

The protagonist once had a bright future ahead of him in that field of sports but due to an overwhelming defeat in addition to a certain other reason, he has left that field. However, he meets the transfer student Kurashina Asuka and regains his passion as he teaches her how to fly.

With his situation changed, he participates once again in the Flying Circus. Just how high will he be able to fly this time with Asuka at his side?

This is a love story about the two who met while soaring in the skies, and the friends surrounding them.

Preview:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WOy3WbcbNtQ&feature=youtu.be
----------------------------------

A visual novel adaptation that I heard interesting things about. The premise seems interesting enough and I think it might have some potential especially with the part about flying and the, Flying Circus.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Stark700

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 4:28 pm Reply with quote
Episode 1:

Hmm, this was a bit generic.

The setting has a fresh look to it though and the character designs reminds me of Koi to Senkyo to Chocolate. I'm kinda curious about the main girl and her past as shown in short glimpses already. Wonder if she has connections with anyone else at that place before.

The whole anti-gravity boots made flying look pretty convenient. Although judging on this episode, they are also used for competitive sports. Wonder how that will unfold as the show goes on. I don't expect much from the show right now so I hope it will get better..
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 4:33 pm Reply with quote
Episode 1

So whoever thought of these Gravity Boots didn't really have skirts in mind, huh. Or maybe they did and that's why they're still part of the uniform. Anyway, surprisingly, I liked it. Had a really relaxing SOL vibe to it in the first half, and I found all of the characters pretty endearing. Exposition is being given in a natural way because of the whole "new student" thing, and it isn't that long anyway. From now on it seems it'll focus more on the sport aspect, which could be ok too.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 4:50 pm Reply with quote

I found my favorite heroine of the season. Anime hyper
EmbraceMe

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 8:44 pm Reply with quote
Hm, I know already from the first episode that Asuka is the type of girl I find very annoying in anime. Her overly energetic and hyperactive attitude really bugs me and I can't stand her types (in anime). That's my only grievance with the show thus far.

As far as harems go, this feels pretty run of the mill but the whole Grav-Shoes aspect gives an interesting spin to it. In addition, the protagonist doesn't seem too bland because of the hint we received from the teacher when she saw him flying -- the brief mention about him usually not flying. Combining this with the synopsis provided in this thread, I'm curious about his past history.

Stark700 wrote:

The setting has a fresh look to it though and the character designs reminds me of Koi to Senkyo to Chocolate.

Good observation, that is because the company behind the VN made both KoiChoco and this.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 9:28 pm Reply with quote
This is a sports anime at its core, we have the "never give up" lead who is bipolar in saying her catch phrase of "dame dame" (I can't/no way, depending on the translation) and suddenly turning around on the situation with attitude and action.

Fill it out with her other peculiar new companions and there is a recipe for Flying Circus race that involves the in universe flying tech.

The concept is decent enough, but just as well I can see the cast being hit or miss depending on the viewer.
For me, I will just have to wait for a couple more episodes.
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 2:59 am Reply with quote
Clumsy airhead and a washout jock in a Japanese way.
Time to fly!
*sigh* this is a bit of a mix.
From classic fan service, airhead, one male character to sports.
Think I'll skip this one after all.
Kamagor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 3:56 am Reply with quote
I'm not against a more cute and colorful show entirely, something lighthearted can be fun, but the bubbly airhead stereotype is usually incredibly aggravating in shows like this. The only time I managed with it before, was School Live, but that is because the story and setting worked well. Combine that with someone who talks in cat puns and the cocky girl who does that annoying OH HO HO HO! laugh along with bad humor, it just sorta grates.

Also yeah, why do the girls wear skirts and not pants? Did they just not want to spend the time creating clothing that makes sense? Having fan service is one thing, but work it into your script in a way that makes sense lol

A shame, cause the magical nonsense shoes seemed kinda entertaining, even if "Flying Circus" is like the worst sport idea ever lol
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 8:07 am Reply with quote
Episode 1

Does anyone remember that jousting anime from a few years back, Walkure Romanze? This kind of feels similar. I think that show had some particular problems because it kind of forgot to make its male character actually do anything that matters, amongst a couple other things. Well so far based on the first episode we may have less clothes loss, and I maybe we will be treated well with its male character.

I like the take off and landing thing be delegated to terminal areas, that the terminals are not a necessary part of it, but probably a regulatory way to make people not fly and drop down all over the place that would create chaos. One would guess that the places she ended up in are islands that they are trying new technology out before giving it to the rest of society. It is only a couple years old and focusing on the new generation of school students was the way to go.

Asuka is a bit on the over the top side, but she switches between the acting a bit silly and more depressed side enough for me to think she largely has herself be that way to try and boost her self confidence. She does seem a bit clumsy, but she is trying to adapt to a new situation by being positive.

The character I can't get a read of is Misaki, we know that she is supposed to have a change of character after the morning, but even with that personality change of being more energetic, she looks like she wants nothing to do with Asuka. For some reason it does not feel right.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 5:07 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Asuka is a bit on the over the top side, but she switches between the acting a bit silly and more depressed side enough for me to think she largely has herself be that way to try and boost her self confidence. She does seem a bit clumsy, but she is trying to adapt to a new situation by being positive.

Yeah, that's what I love about her. She has a silly, hyperactive exterior....but she also has quiet, down to earth moments too and that makes her more real. There's also a belief that "If I stay positive, things will be okay".....and I've had to use this belief myself....especially during a job I don't want to do.

Fans seem divided on "love her/hate her" but I think she's just too adorable for words. :3 I'm rooting for her all the way.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 8:40 pm Reply with quote
Well Chibi you can put me on the "love her" side. She's definitely the cutest and most pure hearted heroine of the season. I also appreciate how she's not always just an airhead but she can shoot off a tsukkomi once in awhile.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 11:23 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
Well Chibi you can put me on the "love her" side.

Yay, welcome to the Kurashina Asuka Fanclub. Anime smile

Quote:
She's definitely the cutest and most pure hearted heroine of the season..

Isn't she though! Optimistic, cute characters just make me smile....what can I say?
Stark700

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 4:16 pm Reply with quote
Episode 2:

Meh that match was underwhelming. Misaki destroyed her Asuka. My guess is that Asuka is only able to use that move when she is truly motivated with a reason rather than to win. Previously, she was fighting for something but this time, she was only competing to score points/win.

Misaki x Udon

I hope Asuka improves...and learns some new tricks.
EmbraceMe

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 4:30 pm Reply with quote
Episode 2

Yup, still not liking Kurashina's bumbling, innocent, dumbfound attitude. I want to like her character but these traits just don't work for me. But I guess her character fits the role of being an inspiration/catalyst for motivation. She's doing a good job in that role since it seems that it's making the MC open up more and rejoin the sport (I still want to know why he was reluctant at first). She also had the same effect on Misaki.

I like how they handled the cliche "caught a girl changing" scene - the MC's attempt to avoid peeping and extra cautiousness made the scene so much better. At this point, I really couldn't care less about the Grav-Shoe stuff -- all the information about it floats out of one ear anyways --- I just want to know who the neighbor girl is (which the next episode seems to go a bit into depth about) and more of Misaki.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 10:08 pm Reply with quote
Asuka hits a roadblock, but does she whine or mope about it in a corner? Nope, she accepts her lack of skills and seeks to improve herself without being discouraged. If only we could all be like her...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5