• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Business School for Japanese Pop Culture to Open in Akihabara

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 4:41 pm Reply with quote
Oh my God. I wish I was in Akihabara right now so I could go there. If they had something like this here in America, I'd go there in a heartbeat!
Lemonchest

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 4:49 pm Reply with quote
Enroll now for the Idol Producer course. We will teach you the skills you need to make it to the top. How to identify teenage girls who will work for nothing to chase the dream, or just to get something to eat. How to write legally watertight contracts that ensure you get all the money for their work. When is the best time to have them "graduate" before they become too integral to the image of the group. The best ways to sexually exploit your group members while ensuring that such actions never become a legal issue. How to design costumes & public personas to maximize their appeal to sex starved losers...I mean loyal fans. & most importantly of all, how to write the same song dozens of times & still get fans to buy multiple copies of each single.

Best of all, on successful completion you will be given a formal introduction to a yakuza member who can sort you out with the loan to start your soon to be thriving idol empire. Those who pass with distinction will get the opportunity to work on the opening ceremony of the 2020 Olympics. Book now!
AJ (LordNikon)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 5:05 pm Reply with quote
So, it's an MBA for otaku? Great, far more qualified people competing for far too few jobs. What could possibly go wrong? /s
giao_su

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 5:53 pm Reply with quote
<snark>
What degrees does the Akiba Business School offer (BS? MPS? MBA? DBA? PhD?)?
Are credits from business schools in the U.S. (e.g., the Booth School of Business, the Harvard Business School, the Olin Business School, the Stanford Business School, Eli Broad College of Business, the Wharton School of Business) accepted by the Akiba Business School & vice versa?
Since the Akiba Business School will not open until April of 2017, I presume that there are no data on its performance. Still, there should be some data on its parent school (the Tokyo School of Anime). What percentage of Tokyo School of Anime graduates find employment in the anime industry within a year of graduation? within two years? within three years?
Finally, does Donald Trump have anything to do with the Akiba Business School?
</snark>
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 6:00 pm Reply with quote
Hopefully a potential idol manager or CEO with a heart will take these courses and we can have some much needed changes.
Banken

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 6:03 pm Reply with quote
This sounds super scammy to me.
grouwl

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 6:18 pm Reply with quote
Do you hear yourself telling how wrong this is....

A FULL SCHOOL OF HOT GIRLS THAT CAN'T DATE!!!

What's the point? seriously? The whole "idol world" is murky and dirty and caters to unhappy people by the same people that sells the "dream" of a hot girl, first it was one, then it was 48, then it was 500, now there's gonna be a full institution of it...

Can't Japan realize that with this they won't have more babies for SH@T!!?
jenny10-11

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 6:22 pm Reply with quote
I can't begin to imagine how worthless a "degree" from this place might be. It could be legit, but it seems more like another way to con otakus out of their money.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 7:49 pm Reply with quote
This seems like a fantastic opportunity for one to hit it big in the idol industry. However, the deciding question is "Will it all be worth it in the end?"

Last edited by Mr. Oshawott on Sun Feb 28, 2016 10:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 8:29 pm Reply with quote
Anyone with knowledge of how the idol world works should be laughing right now. Laughing

Especially how dark, corrupt and gross it can get.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 10:22 pm Reply with quote
Lemonchest wrote:
Enroll now for the Idol Producer course. We will teach you the skills you need to make it to the top. How to identify teenage girls who will work for nothing to chase the dream, or just to get something to eat. How to write legally watertight contracts that ensure you get all the money for their work. When is the best time to have them "graduate" before they become too integral to the image of the group. The best ways to sexually exploit your group members while ensuring that such actions never become a legal issue. How to design costumes & public personas to maximize their appeal to sex starved losers...I mean loyal fans. & most importantly of all, how to write the same song dozens of times & still get fans to buy multiple copies of each single.

Best of all, on successful completion you will be given a formal introduction to a yakuza member who can sort you out with the loan to start your soon to be thriving idol empire. Those who pass with distinction will get the opportunity to work on the opening ceremony of the 2020 Olympics. Book now!

You have my wholehearted applause, sir/ma'am.
Camiru Mylle

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 10:32 pm Reply with quote
Great, more pretentious teens awaits!

Yuck. But oh well, money money money for the company.
brucepuppy

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 10:47 pm Reply with quote
Maybe they should make it sound more like an informal course? I mean, a business school with majors including maid and idol, really? Sure it's one of a kind but it also sounds too unconvincing.
nargun

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 6:05 am Reply with quote
brucepuppy wrote:
Sure it's one of a kind but it also sounds too unconvincing.

If you can't set the hook or land them, you don't want them taking the bait.

No point getting more initial interest in your scam project if you can't turn it into funding, and you don't attract gullible people with a convincing scam. You want something pretty bogus, so that you don't get too many people attracted who'll wise up to the scam you're pulling before you can actually pull it.

http://research.microsoft.com/pubs/167719/WhyFromNigeria.pdf

[not that I'm saying this is a scam! I haven't checked and even if I had I wouldn't know; I don't have the detail knowledge I'd need. Just an observation inspired by someone else's, without any direct relevance to the instant case.]
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 9:12 am Reply with quote
nargun wrote:
brucepuppy wrote:
Sure it's one of a kind but it also sounds too unconvincing.

If you can't set the hook or land them, you don't want them taking the bait.

No point getting more initial interest in your scam project if you can't turn it into funding, and you don't attract gullible people with a convincing scam. You want something pretty bogus, so that you don't get too many people attracted who'll wise up to the scam you're pulling before you can actually pull it.

Precisely. Having so much grammar errors in these scams might first sound counter-intuitive. However, those who do fall for these, really are ripe for picking. The scammers aren't interested in intelligent people wasting their time when they could target others more gullible...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2