• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Who Watches Late Night Anime in Japan?

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mgosdin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 12:09 pm Reply with quote
It's not surprising when you think about it, if you are selling a product - anime is definitely a product - then you don't really want to turn away any group. Not deliberately.

Quote:
nearly everybody has a DVR or a DVD/Blu-ray set-top recorder. (People actually bought those in Japan.)

I actually bought one of those in the early 00's, it never proved as useful as I'd hoped. I still have some DVD-R's around here that were recorded on it.

Mark Gosdin
RoverTX

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 12:24 pm Reply with quote
mgosdin wrote:
It's not surprising when you think about it, if you are selling a product - anime is definitely a product - then you don't really want to turn away any group. Not deliberately.

Unless it is after a market crash and everyone wants to do the safe thing and target the perverts who always buy, while alienating others.
Cetais

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 12:34 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
those categories are sometimes meaningless.

It gets so much on my nerve when people doesn't understand that.

I don't know how many times I heard "It's classified as a shoujo, why would I watch that" ...
Loveless100

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 12:39 pm Reply with quote
I also assume it's because the late night block is cheaper and companies can justify putting it on tv during a slot they can afford. It's like all of those infomercials you see at 2AM on American TV.

In the end it's promotion to sell DVDs/BRs.
bigivel

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 12:40 pm Reply with quote
Confusing Target Audience/Demographic and Hit Audience/clients/fans here! They are not the same thing.

Also Target Audience/Demographic isn't, wasn't and never will be meaningless. And this includes the Magazines Demographic.

What Shonen Show is Aimed at Women?

Also confusing Primary Target audience and Secondary Target audiences. A product can in a minor way target or get derived products that target an audience other than the primary, that doesn't mean a product is targeted to everyone.
A major error done during production and marketing is trying to target everybody! Normally the result is hitting nobody.

The title of the article and the question done are quite different!
Who watches late-night anime? I would assume majorly Young Adult Anime fans.
Who late-night anime is targeted to? Age-wise. Age wise, Young Adults!

Last edited by bigivel on Wed Mar 16, 2016 1:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
bigivel

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 12:43 pm Reply with quote
Cetais wrote:
Quote:
those categories are sometimes meaningless.

It gets so much on my nerve when people doesn't understand that.

I don't know how many times I heard "It's classified as a shoujo, why would I watch that" ...

In the end you're the one wrong! Because it isn't meaningless.

Also somebody not wanting to watch a show because it is shoujo is the same as someone not wanting to watch another show because is sport. They Simply don't like, for whichever reason, the category.
Lemonchest

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 12:44 pm Reply with quote
I like to think josei means for adults & sienen means for manchildren.
rizuchan
Collector Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 1:04 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Shoujo and josei series, by and large, don't travel very far into male fandom (or if they do, nobody's telling).

I strongly disagree with this. I hang around a lot of anime sites that have mostly male posters and shoujo stuff gets talked about a lot. I think the way a lot of anime romance shows (ie VN and LN adaptations) are male-focused has opened up a lot of male viewers to all romance shows, and they don't seem to know or care whether its a shoujo or seinen romance. And Jousei stuff, while not mainstream, always gets recommended when people talk about "anime for adults about adults".

And even then I've seen a lot of anime fans open to surprising stuff. When I was in college and Netflix was adding their first Funimation anime, I had so many guy friends embarrassingly admit to me they loved Fruits Basket and Ouran. And I refuse to read too far into why so many guys seem to like Card Captor Sakura and PreCure...

As for yaoi, yeah, it's pretty difficult to find people to talk about it with in these circles. But then, my dad watched Gravitation with me when I was a teen, and I dated a guy a while back that would get really into watching Sekaiichi Hatsukoi with me. Both claimed they liked the shows for the drama. Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
GOTZFAUST

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 1:05 pm Reply with quote
This further cements a divide between Otaku and general audiences. Tough I guess its only natural.

New series that are generally for teenagers are pretty much not starting during the daytime anymore. Especially not on the PrimeTime slots (18:00 - 19:00).
VoidWitch

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 1:11 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Also somebody not wanting to watch a show because it is shoujo is the same as someone not wanting to watch another show because is sport.

And you are confusing demographic and genre. Lol.

Also demographics are kinda BS. I can understand something like REAL to be seinen, but Wondering Son? Doesn't make any sense to me.
Categorizing by genre is sooo much more helpful. IMO

Quote:

Uhhhhhh. Putting Ikki Tousen in the same "demographic" category with Trigun for example should be a crime. =p
Moroboshi-san

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 1:22 pm Reply with quote
VoidWitch wrote:

Uhhhhhh. Putting Ikki Tousen in the same "demographic" category with Trigun for example should be a crime. =p

Quite true. Trigun is more like kid's show.
Renasviel

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 1:24 pm Reply with quote
Lemonchest wrote:

You can think what you like, unfortunately it doesn't make you right.
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 1:33 pm Reply with quote
I think that corresponding to the rise of the digital media, the importance of actual TV air times has dropped nearly by the same value, with almost everything available online for convenient viewing at one's leisure.
bigivel

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 1:41 pm Reply with quote
VoidWitch wrote:
Quote:
Also somebody not wanting to watch a show because it is shoujo is the same as someone not wanting to watch another show because is sport.

And you are confusing demographic and genre. Lol.

Also demographics are kinda BS. I can understand something like REAL to be seinen, but Wondering Son? Doesn't make any sense to me.
Categorizing by genre is sooo much more helpful. IMO

Quote:

Nope I ain't! Genre and Demographic are both categorizing systems. Both Sport and Shoujo are categories, not of the same system, but still both categories.

"Doesn't make any sense to me" -> The important part is in "to me"

Here the thing, this is not about what is more helpful or not, this isn't and never was a dispute between categorizing systems. Each system provides different information and so they are helpful in different ways.

Also note that those systems aren't being forced onto you. You don't need to care about them or use it. In fact those categorization will still be there either it is explicitly said or not. Just like majority of Television timeslot blocks, that don't say what is their Target Audience, but all of them have it well defined.
VoidWitch

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 2:03 pm Reply with quote
^
That's the problem. If it's not supposed to be helpful for consumers why make it public then?
Not being forced? What are you talking about? Manga magazines are categorized by demographic, not by a genre for example. And there are plenty of people who are unhappy about that or so i heard.
This is anti-consumer BS made to force people into buying things they don't want.

Quote:
Well, if someone puts homos in my pantsu-and-boobs-show I quite deliberately won't buy it.

How convenient. Very Happy

I wouldn't want pantsu and boobs in my gay\drama manga either.

Last edited by VoidWitch on Wed Mar 16, 2016 2:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5