• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Geneon USA to Cancel DVD Sales, Distribution by Friday

Goto page   Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bci110

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 10:36 am Reply with quote
The news affects three titles that I'm currently collecting - Rozen Maiden, Karin, and Higurashi. I was also planning to buy the Nanoha series once those DVDs becom available, but now with this news that may not be possible.

Overall, it is a very dark day for the R1 anime industry. Geneon was a good company and were always faithful to their release dates, and had a great library of titles, some of which ended up being all-time favorites of mine. Hopefully the other R1 distributors will pick up the liceses and not let them die out. It's a real shame that they're going out this way; it just looks like that their parent company (Dentsu) simply gave up on the market and decided to pull the plug.
calawain

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 10:40 am Reply with quote
In before the postings of mass hysteria and the complete end of anime in North America because of the loss of one company with overpriced DVDs.
SemicomatoseStudios

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 10:41 am Reply with quote
Am I understanding this correctly? Geneon is going out of business? As in, all Geneon titles will only be available as bootlegs or imports? Yikes!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
kyokun703

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 10:42 am Reply with quote
Copied from the other thread, since that one will probably die, and this one will be the one read now.

Crying or Very sad
This depresses me to no end. Six unfinished series for me. Please someone for the love of god, pick up these series: Rozen Maiden Traumend, Black Lagoon Second Barrage, Hellsing Ultimate, Story of Saiunkoku, Kyo Kara Maoh, and Shounen Onmyouji.
kakitamike

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 10:44 am Reply with quote
Why couldn't this have been announced last week before i picked up the first two discs of karin and when they cry. Sigh

At least i should be able to nab ergo proxy disc 6.

sigh again for geneon in general
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
HazelAsher

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 10:45 am Reply with quote
Don't you guys think that since Geneon will be dropping a bunch of popular series, that the demand for such series to be completed will go up? I'm hoping that other companies will take note of this and maybe come to the rescue. ^^;
jtnishi

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 10:45 am Reply with quote
calawain wrote:
In before the postings of mass hysteria and the complete end of anime in North America because of the loss of one company with overpriced DVDs.

zOMG! ANIMAY IN AMERICA IS DOOMED!!!1111

Okay, now that's out of the way. It certainly isn't the end, but it can't possibly be a good sign. It's a sad state of affairs, given the relative quality of Geneon's releases, too. I hate to say it, but if Geneon USA couldn't make enough money to keep the operation going, one has to reasonably wonder how the other companies in the industry are doing. There's bound to be a few players with strong balance sheets out there, but I'm getting the feeling Geneon isn't going to be the last guy to leave this round.
Case

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 10:47 am Reply with quote
A terrible shame. As a moe anime fan, I'd like to say I think that Geneon was probably the most otaku-oriented licensor of at least the last two years. I'm shocked and depressed that something like this could happen so suddenly and despite being a business student I can't seem to rationalize it.

I hope someone else decent recovers the Nanoha license.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 10:49 am Reply with quote
SemicomatoseStudios wrote:
Am I understanding this correctly? Geneon is going out of business? As in, all Geneon titles will only be available as bootlegs or imports? Yikes!

Nope, you misunderstood correctly. Geneon has not addressed that part of the equation yet.

Quote:
The letter does not address the issue of the future availability of titles, nor does it discuss Geneon USA's future production plans.
Geneon USA's parent company, the Japanese advertising firm Dentsu Inc., said that "from October 1, 2007, Geneon USA will focus mainly on management of its works portfolio."

Geneon already tried to get ADV to handle its catalog, it's quite likely that they will keep trying to get other companies to do so, even if it's on a per title basis.

Although Geneon hasn't announced anything about it's production, we know, and we've inserted this into the news a few times now, that they planed on ceasing all in-house production by the end of the year.

Based on my understanding of the situation, Geneon will turn into a Kadokawa Pictures USA type licensing organization (Kadokawa Pictures USA owns the rights to Haruhi Suzumiya, contracted Bang Zoom to handle dubbing and Contracted BEI to handle sales, production and marketing, likewise they contracted ADV to do the dubbing for FMP!TSR and Funimation to market & distribute).

However, I do expect your reading of the situation to be right in a few cases. I'm pretty sure that some of their titles will fall through the cracks...

-t

Last edited by Tempest on Wed Sep 26, 2007 10:58 am; edited 1 time in total
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 10:54 am Reply with quote
kyokun703 wrote:
Copied from the other thread, since that one will probably die, and this one will be the one read now.

Crying or Very sad
This depresses me to no end. Six unfinished series for me. Please someone for the love of god, pick up these series: Rozen Maiden Traumend, Black Lagoon Second Barrage, Hellsing Ultimate, Story of Saiunkoku, Kyo Kara Maoh, and Shounen Onmyouji.

Dammit! I'm involved with the last two and have pre-ordered the first one which they haven't sent to me yet.

God, this sucks.

I think that I'll write TRSI and cancel Saiunkoku. I'm not sure what the rest of my pre-orders are like but I will cancel that one.

Damn.
Moogle-X

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 10:56 am Reply with quote
I agree with Tempest.

Based on the way things are worded in this letter, I think that this is perhaps only a temporary halt on products current and future as they reset since they had already dissolved their sales division and were in the midst of finalizing the ADV deal. Will they renew a sales and distribution department or go the Kadokawa route? It's hard to say at this point, but I do not think they are totally abandoning the anime market period.

Here's hoping I'm right. I have a few titles that are incomplete that I need to get the rest of released o.o .
daxomni

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 10:56 am Reply with quote
I'm not sure what exactly this means but it sure doesn't sound that good to me and I was always a big Pioneer/Geneon fan myself. If this is really the beginning of the end for them I'm not going to be happy about it and they most certainly will be missed, at least by me.

Last edited by daxomni on Wed Sep 26, 2007 10:58 am; edited 1 time in total
JackCox

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 10:59 am Reply with quote
Shame on the fansubbers and bootleggers who did this to Geneon, all of you have destroyed a great company.
calawain

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 11:01 am Reply with quote
JackCox wrote:
Shame on the fansubbers and bootleggers who did this to Geneon, all of you have destroyed a great company.

Please let's not start this again, there was enough of this crap in the other thread.

[Since the topic has been done to death, I will not permit any repeat of the fansub / bootlegger angle in this thread. -t]
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 11:03 am Reply with quote
Well there goes my Saiunkoku DVDs 3 and 4 since they aren't coming out until December and January. Now I am debating whether I should cancel my 2nd DVD or not. Sad

I sort of wish Geneon didn't license all these series if they knew they were having problems. I am sure the problems have been apparent for awhile that they should have been more cautious with their licensing.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page   Next
Page 1 of 22