• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: KyoAni Award-Winning Novel Violet Evergarden Gets Anime Project

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 5:07 am Reply with quote
I heard good things about this series before. And the animation looked gorgeous in the CM. Can't wait to see this.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
nobody knows

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 5:10 am Reply with quote
wow the animation is very gooood Shocked Shocked
Keichitsu0305

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 5:14 am Reply with quote
Now to see what an actual recipient of the KyoAni award is made of. I'll give it a shot; I'm curious what this story has to offer.
Kreion

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 5:25 am Reply with quote
I would be interested...but KyoAni hasn't really made anything that I would call interesting in a while. I still remember that Kyoukai no Kanata looked like a darker fantasy which was going to be a bit different from their usual stuff, then it wasn't and was ruined by 'moe'...

So as far as this goes, promising as it looks I really don't care to get hyped for something by KyoAni atm.
TheRahi00

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 5:29 am Reply with quote
Kreion wrote:
I would be interested...but KyoAni hasn't really made anything that I would call interesting in a while. I still remember that Kyoukai no Kanata looked like a darker fantasy which was going to be a bit different from their usual stuff, then it wasn't and was ruined by 'moe'...

So as far as this goes, promising as it looks I really don't care to get hyped for something by KyoAni atm.

What about Hibike Euphonium ?

Personally looking forward to this (and Koe no Katachi).
Zatheyll

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 5:38 am Reply with quote
Kreion wrote:

Hibike Euphonium was one of their best works.

Amagi Brilliant Park was fairly good for what it was, much better than KnK, Chu2Koi, and Phantom World, that's for sure.

Tamako Market was nice, and the movie was amazing.

Hyouka was also wonderful.

That's a good 4 shows in the past 4 years they've done that have been great.
synaia

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 5:45 am Reply with quote
Zatheyll wrote:
Kreion wrote:

Amagi Brilliant Park was fairly good for what it was, much better than KnK, Chu2Koi, and Phantom World, that's for sure.

While I do agree with you I can't help but hate that they insert original story and characters in every show they did the past years. Sometimes for the better (Free 2 seasons cause actual novel adaptation which was the movie flopped) or for the worst (Phantom World)
Thespacemaster

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 5:48 am Reply with quote
That is basically one good show per year...hey at least there is still some consistency..some studios have not a made a good show in years.
Dylan21

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 5:53 am Reply with quote
Can you please translate and add in the synopsis? http://www.kyotoanimation.co.jp/books/violet/story/

Adala-news synopsis of it for those who know French (or rough google translate English): http://adala-news.fr/2016/05/le-roman-violet-evergarden-adapte-en-anime-par-kyoto-animation/
ultimatemegax

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 6:00 am Reply with quote
Dylan21 wrote:
Can you please translate and add in the synopsis? http://www.kyotoanimation.co.jp/books/violet/story/

Adala-news synopsis of it for those who know French (or rough google translate English): http://adala-news.fr/2016/05/le-roman-violet-evergarden-adapte-en-anime-par-kyoto-animation/

Quote:
“Auto Memories Doll.” It’s already been a long time since that name was first popularized. It’s a machine that Dr. Orlando created that talks in a natural voice. At first, he only made it to help out his loving wife, but before long they spread out into the world. and companies were made to lend them out.

“I’m Violet Evergarden, the Auto Memories Doll who will rush to provide service anywhere you wish.“

That translucent voice comes from a robotic beautiful girl with blonde hair and blue eyes like she came out of a storybook.

Yeah, it's not great to describe the story. Let me add some to it having read some of the novel (no spoilers).

Violet Evergarden is an "Auto Memories Doll," a robot made to help those who cannot write put their thoughts on paper. Throughout her life, Violet meets many people and connects many hearts together through their letters to one another. Though her time with each person is short, the bonds formed during her time with them will not easily be forgotten.
Lemonchest

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 6:20 am Reply with quote
KyoAni Award winner doesn't exactly put it in esteemed company.
Kreion

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 6:25 am Reply with quote
Zatheyll wrote:

Hibike was good but I wouldn't say it was stellar. The animation was nice but the direction felt pretty flat to me, the characters were enjoyable enough but nothing that felt too distinct from your usual KyoAni affair. Maybe it's just the fatigue of their constant school cute x doing y settings that made me lose interest in it. There was enough to keep me entertained, but I didn't think it did enough to stand out as a KyoAni work tbh.

Amaburi too was okay, the comedy was too hit and miss and the side characters were pretty unenjoyable imo. Also I didn't think it was paced that well...not as good as Hibiki,

Tamako market was atrocious. The movie was good because it included all the plot the series should have had, I won't let them off based on that.

Hyouka was the best series they've ever made - a good character drama with great direction(another of my complaints about Hibiki, the direction and visuals are pretty flat). Part of the reason for that is that the adaption is a carbon copy of the novel, they are pretty much exactly the same with some very minor changes here and there.

Currently KyoAni's formula for adaption is take novel + moe and it always makes the series worse. I admit to being pretty biased as Hyouka was one of the first KyoAni shows I saw and every subsequent series has tended to be a disappointment after that. Perhaps if I saw Hibike first I would feel differently, but after watching their progression of series it failed to really hook me - it was just KyoAni.

I hope that they can make Koe no Katachi a good movie though I fear for how they are going to adapt it into one movie. Again though, that's mainly because I know the source material is really good there and as long as they don't fudge around they'll do fine.
synaia

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 6:28 am Reply with quote
Kreion wrote:

Hibike was good but I wouldn't say it was stellar. The animation was nice but the direction felt pretty flat to me, the characters were enjoyable enough but nothing that felt too distinct from your usual KyoAni affair. Maybe it's just the fatigue of their constant school cute x doing y settings that made me lose interest in it. There was enough to keep me entertained, but I didn't think it did enough to stand out as a KyoAni work tbh.

Amaburi too was okay, the comedy was too hit and miss and the side characters were pretty unenjoyable imo. Also I didn't think it was paced that well...not as good as Hibiki,

Tamako market was atrocious. The movie was good because it included all the plot the series should have had, I won't let them off based on that.

Hyouka was the best series they've ever made - a good character drama with great direction(another of my complaints about Hibiki, the direction and visuals are pretty flat). Part of the reason for that is that the adaption is a carbon copy of the novel, they are pretty much exactly the same with some very minor changes here and there.

Currently KyoAni's formula for adaption is take novel + moe and it always makes the series worse. I admit to being pretty biased as Hyouka was one of the first KyoAni shows I saw and every subsequent series has tended to be a disappointment after that. Perhaps if I saw Hibike first I would feel differently, but after watching their progression of series it failed to really hook me - it was just KyoAni.

I hope that they can make Koe no Katachi a good movie though I fear for how they are going to adapt it into one movie. Again though, that's mainly because I know the source material is really good there and as long as they don't fudge around they'll do fine.

they can base Koe no Katachi on the one-shot that was published first, not the actual series that came after that.
ultimatemegax

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 6:34 am Reply with quote
Lemonchest wrote:
KyoAni Award winner doesn't exactly put it in esteemed company.

It's the only grand prize entry in their awards. The other animated adaptations were of honorable mentions/encouragement awards. There's no company to put this in.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 6:57 am Reply with quote
ultimatemegax wrote:
Violet Evergarden is an "Auto Memories Doll," a robot made to help those who cannot write put their thoughts on paper. Throughout her life, Violet meets many people and connects many hearts together through their letters to one another. Though her time with each person is short, the bonds formed during her time with them will not easily be forgotten.

Sounds like something of a mashup of Shinigami no Ballad, Tegami Bachi and Plastic Memories.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4