• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: D.Gray-man Hallow Anime's 3rd Promo Video Previews Lenny code fiction's Theme Song

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
xMemorie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 3:36 am Reply with quote
I'm not into D.Gray-Man, but given the fact, that it's fairly popular, the production and animation look pretty mediocre and for a 13 episode series at that.
KH91

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 3:43 am Reply with quote
Song sounds okay-ish. Didn't hit me with awesomeness the 1st time like the previous openings. Guess it'll grow on me.

LENALEE IS WEARING BLACK! Very Happy
Knoepfchen

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 4:27 am Reply with quote
So, the ending song is called "Lotus Pain". Triggering very sad manga memories just reading that title. I'm still crossing everything that Michiko Yokote got to write Kanda's flashback.

The new video looks and sounds rather mediocre. I have nothing against the character designs, but I always felt the manga had a certain Tim Burton vibe going on at times in the backgrounds that wasn't present in the first anime, nor does it look like it's going to be present here.
Tensai GinAce

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 5:36 am Reply with quote
I know it's too early to judge... but Cross Marian's old voice actor was a 100 times more fitting (Allen too to be honest)
I mean they are good in this preview, but the old ones were MUCH more fitting imo (and it's not just because I got used to them)
Let's hope Tykie Mikk has a very good VA at-least
Also, it's TMS entertainment so I'm not that worried about the animation or production in general (Although only 13 episodes is a bit of a let-down)
Can't wait for July !
All-Seeing-Eyes

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 8:30 am Reply with quote
Knoepfchen wrote:

I have nothing against the character designs, but I always felt the manga had a certain Tim Burton vibe going on at times in the backgrounds that wasn't present in the first anime, nor does it look like it's going to be present here.

I'm not sure if you read the later part of the manga but when Hoshino switched to Jump SQ. (her first hiatus) I'd argue that her style lost a lot of that Gothic feeling in favor of a more "Bishounen" one so it makes sense that this anime wouldn't adapt that style.
tintor2

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 12:24 pm Reply with quote
I kinda like Allen's new voice. Feels like it fits with spoiler[less formal attitude he takes across the series.]
fuff

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 2:33 pm Reply with quote
i miss the old VAs..........
TrueZangetsu

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 3:41 pm Reply with quote
Not the changed cast, not the trailers broke my heart. What broke my heart is the fact that it's just 13 episodes...
Darkmagick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 6:22 pm Reply with quote
TrueZangetsu wrote:
Not the changed cast, not the trailers broke my heart. What broke my heart is the fact that it's just 13 episodes...

I was really sad on first hearing that too, but upon actually getting caught up with the manga, I found that there actually isn't enough material for more than a single cour right now - the arc following the one the first anime ended on has a good stopping point, but there is no stopping point after that, and the manga releases chapters very infrequently. So in fact, this is probably the best course of action. (Fitting this arc into one cour might be a bit of a tight fit, but making it into two cours would be way too drawn out.)
lamel2g

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 7:02 pm Reply with quote
Is this a continuation of the first anime or is it a re-adaption like HxH 2011?

I haven't watched the first anime and want to know if I should watch that first or this?
tintor2

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 8:37 pm Reply with quote
lamel2g wrote:
Is this a continuation of the first anime or is it a re-adaption like HxH 2011?

A continuation.
lamel2g wrote:
II haven't watched the first anime and want to know if I should watch that first or this?

Start with the anime but at some point the staff added a lot of filler. I think that after Krory's introduction, you should jump to episode 50 and 51 because the canon material returns then.
Alabaster Spectrum

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 3:31 pm Reply with quote
xMemorie wrote:
I'm not into D.Gray-Man, but given the fact, that it's fairly popular, the production and animation look pretty mediocre and for a 13 episode series at that.

It's an Aniplex run show so they're probably counting on BD extras and event tickets to be the main selling point of the show which also seems to primarily be getting made to help promote and jump start the manga again after a really long hiatus. Anyway I notice unless it's a particular studio the production values aren't even really guaranteed out of their projects anymore these days and 13 episodes is just the hard rule.

Maybe you can get a split 2 cour for something like this still but nothing like the 100+ episode projects of old like the first D-Gray Man series from way back in the 2000's where 24 episodes was the average TV series length as opposed to 14 in the 2016. This industry just doesn't do it like that anymore sadly. Hell even 10 episode ultra quickie series are becoming more common now so the days where we could expect anime that can stand on their as anything other than quickie commercials for frankly better and still growing mediums like manga and games are kind of over. Honestly I miss getting to know a cast over the course of half a year or a year like I feel I could expect even a few years ago (Ace of Diamond comes to mind in particular), and frankly I think at least 2 cour is even necessary for anyone that isn't already a fan of something to have enough time to give a shit about a show and it's cast which is why I continue to argue that the current anime industry seems entirely disinterested in getting newer fans from different walks interested in newer TV franchises or even older ones and is content to prop itself up with the help of other Japanese media industries that still look to be going places.

Regarding the cast change, again Aniplex just does not seem to give a damn about old traditions that had been around for years like if a character already has a seiyuu you should make every effort not to break continuity. They did the same thing with Phoenix Wright which had a cast of totally available people they just didn't want to use because they were more interested in promoting their favorites like Yuki Kaji, Miyuki Sawashiro and Yuuki Aoi who are alright seiyuu, but they aren't the cast the fans of the game have become familiar with for years now let alone the ones that are going to be in the game the anime is promoting. Again there just seems to be a lack of caring about anime traditions and things that at least historically mattered to the fanbase and were kind of defining traits of anime (Western cartoons change actors all the time, anime historically did not unless it was unavoidable) and I think in their era of anime this is just going to become the norm as well so expect more random cast changes to popular seiyuu that are better at promoting the sorts of things the Aniplex's of 2016 are into like special event tickets.

Also I should mention that TMS is ridiculously overburdened with projects this season and is doing 4 shows at once A-1 Pictures style (this, Orange, Sweetness and Lightning and ReLife and then they have to somehow turn it over to All-Out, Trickster and Nobunaga no Shinobi in the Fall without falling into A-1 or ufoTABLE style production hell that these Daisuki affiliates seem to keep finding themselves in) and so I fully expect all of them to suffer noticeably in quality by the time they hit their halfway point if not earlier. Again this is something I just don't understand why production committees like ACJ, Aniplex, Bandai and their pet studios do nowadays.

It's like hey rather than focus our energies on one or even two projects at a time and try to make sure they turn out well lets split all these resources across a half dozen or more of them every single season and in the process neglect all of them a little. It just makes the industry look even more desperate and like it's attempting to go a mass production route where the hope is that at least one of them will turn out to be a sales hit and make up for all the other ones that flop or piss people off with their carelessness but didn't which due to said carelessness didn't have a whole bunch of resources spent on them in the first place or were just designed as pre-paid productions for the source material. Late Night TV anime, where you don't necessarily have to spend money to make money. Laughing
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1