• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Gintama Manga Enters Final Arc

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Animechic420

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 7:39 am Reply with quote
Now, the real question is how many more chapters are left??? Only time will tell.
Wandering Samurai

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 8:13 am Reply with quote
Animechic420 wrote:
Now, the real question is how many more chapters are left??? Only time will tell.

Naruto, Bleach, and now Gintama. The superstars of Shonen Jump are starting to fade away...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 8:13 am Reply with quote
After reading last week's chapter, this announcement is no surprise. Considering how long the last two arcs were (they were the longest arcs in chapter count after each had finished), I'm expecting the final arc to exceed them in length.
MischievousMelody

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 8:38 am Reply with quote
Wandering Samurai wrote:
Animechic420 wrote:

Naruto, Bleach, and now Gintama. The superstars of Shonen Jump are starting to fade away...

Maybe one day, a new Shonen Jump superstar will appear, or maybe one will never appear. Either way, you can't stop them from ending; it was inevitable from the moment they started.
HikariGo

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 8:43 am Reply with quote
Wandering Samurai wrote:
Animechic420 wrote:

One Piece will probably still be going when the next lot of Shōnen Jump mega hits end.
Snakebit1995

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 9:21 am Reply with quote
Bleach is ending and so is Gintama, plus Toriko is probably close to the end. Couple this with Naruto and AssClass being over and Jumps losing big series very quickly.

Luckily Jump's had a few up and coming hits with Yuragi Inn and Food Wars success, hopefully they can find some new staple series in those two or some others.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 9:24 am Reply with quote
MischievousMelody wrote:
Wandering Samurai wrote:

Maybe one day, a new Shonen Jump superstar will appear, or maybe one will never appear. Either way, you can't stop them from ending; it was inevitable from the moment they started.
I wonder if they will eve be any more of these big long running shows, the only one in recent years that has gone above 200 is Fairy tail(which is sort of depressing). Other such shows have even had a small run or have tried to go long but not been all that popular. No matter how much Toei pushed Toriko it just didn't work. Maybe My Hero Academia keeps doing well they will keep putting out more sequels. I suppose they nave decided that instead of 1 show with hundreds of episodes, they will do hundreds of shows with 13 episodes.
Ulinox

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 9:56 am Reply with quote
I just wish this manga never ended and went on forever like One Piece.
TrueZangetsu

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 10:00 am Reply with quote
Gintama was the best of the currenttly ending or finished jump mega stars.

Hunter x hunter is next to end, might end a fee years before one piece in the year 2050
Midaro

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 10:08 am Reply with quote
As much as I love Gintama I'd rather see it ending on top. Gintama is gonna be remembered as a flawless classic, and so will be the anime. Certainly, there are some jokes that will look old in a few decades but, underneath, they are both a tribute and a satire of nowadays life in Japan that will always be appreciated. The epic is brilliant. Gintama is singular in its style. So, unlike other mangas, I don't think it will ever be pushed into the background.

I can't wait to read Sorachi sensei's new project. I'm sure the amazing mangakas that gave us Gintama, Bleach and Naruto will bring us more fun with new stories and characters.

I just wished Gintama's live action could be up to the manga and the anime, like the Kenshin movies, which were brilliant. But I believe a good translation to a live-action movie is in this case very difficult, specially if there are only plans for one single movie and Sorachi is not involved in the script.
Animechic420

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 11:03 am Reply with quote
Ulinox wrote:
I just wish this manga never ended and went on forever like One Piece.

You're kidding, right?
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 11:30 am Reply with quote
#847643 wrote:
Gintama is singular in its style.

Not exactly. Gintama has always been most similar to Kochikame, to be quite honest. Both are comedies that poke fun at Japanese pop culture, both current & past, star leads who prefer to by lazy than do any actual work (but are both known to be quite good at what they do), & even their anime adaptations were (mostly) directed by the same exact person (Shinji Takamatsu). Hell, even Jump crossover game J-Stars Victory Vs. pairs Gintoki & Ryotsu together for the opening cinematic, showcasing how similar they are.

The main difference between the two, aside from their respective settings, is that Gintama either operates like a zany gag series or tells extremely well done serious drama, while Kochikame tends to be more about slapstick comedy than anything else. If anything, the fact that Gintama was able to run for so long alongside Kochikame is a testament to just how good Gintama has always been, delivering just enough of a different take on Kochikame's style to be able to hang with it.
Somewhere

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 11:35 am Reply with quote
I kinda want a comedy breather arc. This final act started about 94 chapters ago or so, and the overall mood has basically been the same throughout. The writing's great, and I'm still enjoying it, but... one of Sorachi's strengths as a writer is his ability to effectively bounce back and forth between silly and straight arcs. He's versatile and I love it whenever he flexes that. Also ~2 years of the same atmosphere is kind of draining me.

As far as new pillars of WSJ go, ehhh.... some have already been replaced in the present day. Some series that have been mentioned have had their stars fading for a while already back in Japan and we overstate their current sales power.
bleachj0j

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 12:12 pm Reply with quote
Wandering Samurai wrote:
Animechic420 wrote:

I don't remember the last time Bleach has been a "superstar" when new series have done better. And let's be honest, Naruto hasn't left.
Ziko577

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 1:51 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
MischievousMelody wrote:
Wandering Samurai wrote:

I wonder if they will eve be any more of these big long running shows, the only one in recent years that has gone above 200 is Fairy tail(which is sort of depressing). Other such shows have even had a small run or have tried to go long but not been all that popular. No matter how much Toei pushed Toriko it just didn't work. Maybe My Hero Academia keeps doing well they will keep putting out more sequels. I suppose they nave decided that instead of 1 show with hundreds of episodes, they will do hundreds of shows with 13 episodes.

I think the reason is due to costs going up and fan interest dwindling over time. The era of hundreds of eps. of anime adaptations of manga and games is ending and most companies would rather do 13-26 eps. or even 48-52 eps. since it's much cheaper and there's more return on those. Pretty Cure gets at least 48 eps. a year since by the end of its run, bandai is already making toys and mechandise for the next season anyway. The only series that have lengthy runs these days are long running manga with stuff coming out or really popular stuff like Pokemon and whatnot.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2