• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New York Times Manga Best Seller List, July-3-9

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CallumKeyblade

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 3:34 pm Reply with quote
Great to see the continued success of The Ancient Magus' Bride. I'm so happy that it and orange are doing well for Seven Seas.

Also nice to see Haikyu!! off to a good start. Hopefully it can keep it up with the monthly release schedule.
Agent355

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 4:17 pm Reply with quote
I did not expect Haikyuu!! to be on there. Wow! I know that the list doesn't necessarily reflect the companies own expectations for how a title sells, but I hope this is a good sign, for the sake of those who love sports manga.
myskaros

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 4:41 pm Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
I did not expect Haikyuu!! to be on there. Wow! I know that the list doesn't necessarily reflect the companies own expectations for how a title sells, but I hope this is a good sign, for the sake of those who love sports manga.

I'm not generally a sports manga fan, but my favorite manga include Chihayafuru and Haikyuu >_> go figure.
Agent355

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 6:25 pm Reply with quote
Maybe Chihayafuru has a chance of being licensed if Haikyuu does especially well. Although, it is in a different demographic (I believe it's shojo?), the two manga basically have the same audience, right?
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 7:00 pm Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
Maybe Chihayafuru has a chance of being licensed if Haikyuu does especially well. Although, it is in a different demographic (I believe it's shojo?), the two manga basically have the same audience, right?

In Japan, sure. In the US, Chihayafuru has the problem of being about a sport that isn't widely known or played, while "comic about volleyball" is an instantly-understood and marketable concept.

What I wouldn't give for Chihayafuru to be licensed, though.
Ulinox

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 12:13 pm Reply with quote
Gorgeous cover on that One-Punch Man volume.
Swiftyy

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 2:43 pm Reply with quote
While It may only be on the list for a week or two, seeing the The Ancient Magus' Bride on it really does make my day. Now the wait for the next volume (scheduled for January 2017 QQ) begins.

Also happy to see Haikyu!! doing very well, hopefully it can keep performing this well with it's monthly releases, I know I'm looking forward to more Haikyu!! volumes each month.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1