• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Battery the Animation

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 5:12 pm Reply with quote
This is one of my favorite premiere episodes this season. Everything just felt so natural and realistic with the way the characters are introduced. Love the OP song as well and character chemistry too.

Shame it'll only be 11 episodes but looking forward to it every week.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Dop.L

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 5:18 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I watched and thought "Noitamina's back! How I've missed you!"

While I've no interest in baseball, my main knowledge coming from old 'Peanuts' comic strips and various TV shows, I guess here it's just the plot hook and the story's going to be about the characters, not the sport (similar to "Ping Pong", in that respect).

This is totally the kind of thing I like,
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 5:56 pm Reply with quote
I don't usually watch sports anime, aside from the most well reviewed ones, but despite not quite being on the same level as Haikyuu or Ping Pong so far, I'll probably watch this one. I was prepared to take exception to calling it fujoshi sports anime, but since the source is written by the writer of No. 6, which I watched, I'll say that is a reasonable assessment. Not that that will stop others from saying fujoshis are reading into things, as with winter's Rakugo, on which I believe people weren't just reading into things.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 6:24 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I'm glad that this story comes with some assurance of quality, but maybe I should expect more Bridge to Terabithia than The Fault in Our Stars.

Not quite sure what you mean by this. It's been a while since I was part of that target audience, but from what I understand, they're both considered extremely well-written children's novels. Isn't Bridge to Terabithia on the School Library Journal's top ten best children's novels of all time list, while The Fault in Our Stars was Time's #1 book of its year?
meiam

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 6:58 pm Reply with quote
Hey another sport anime about two male main character who bond over sports and not a female main character in sight. Razz

In all seriousness I quite liked it even if I don't care one bit for baseball (the entire time I felt like grabbing the main character and just telling him its just high school baseball and in 5 year he'll be over it already). But I like the MC, jerk main character are kinda rare and I like main character who start with talent much more than main character who magically acquire amazing talent.
John Thacker

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 7:36 pm Reply with quote
zrnzle500 wrote:
I was prepared to take exception to calling it fujoshi sports anime, but since the source is written by the writer of No. 6, which I watched, I'll say that is a reasonable assessment. Not that that will stop others from saying fujoshis are reading into things, as with winter's Rakugo, on which I believe people weren't just reading into things.

Almost any show with two male characters can admit a fujoshi friendly reading, and there's nothing wrong with it. (Some give more material to work with than others.) However, much of the most popular material intentional targeting that audience by design admits more than one reading, since the ambiguity is often part of the attraction (along with things like forbidden love and unhealthy relationships.)

Personally with Rakugo, I didn't find many people who said that it was "just reading into things" to see it with the fujoshi reading, and I would disagree with them as I think that there was ample reason to read it that way, aided by directorial choices. However, I did find a lot of people insisting that it was wrong and impossible to view the show without such a reading, an argument I find equally annoying. Nothing wrong with saying "I see why you would view it that way, but I view it another way and the text admits both."
WingKing

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 7:39 pm Reply with quote
BodaciousSpacePirate wrote:
Quote:
I'm glad that this story comes with some assurance of quality, but maybe I should expect more Bridge to Terabithia than The Fault in Our Stars.

Not quite sure what you mean by this. It's been a while since I was part of that target audience, but from what I understand, they're both considered extremely well-written children's novels. Isn't Bridge to Terabithia on the School Library Journal's top ten best children's novels of all time list, while The Fault in Our Stars was Time's #1 book of its year?

I think the difference she's getting at is that Bridge is written more for 10-12 year olds, while Fault is written more for 14-16 year olds. It's not an issue of quality (I've read both, and they're both quite good), it's more about the difference in the maturity levels of the main characters and what kind of relationship they have with each other, and also in what kind of content (sexual or otherwise) that the author includes or doesn't include in each book.
danshi_boy3

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 7:46 pm Reply with quote
This review was doing quite ok until she said this
"Queer romance would be a nice change of pace for YA, but it doesn't seem necessary to this story...."

No, you wrong.
It's necessary. LGBT children exists. I'm not talking about adult things, just about fall in love. I'm certain that many of us have some school crush in those ages.

How many healthy gay love between tweens do you saw in (in Western AND Eastern) media in the last 10 years? Something more than two or three? Probably some European and Latin American cult movie.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 10:07 pm Reply with quote
John Thacker wrote:
zrnzle500 wrote:
I was prepared to take exception to calling it fujoshi sports anime, but since the source is written by the writer of No. 6, which I watched, I'll say that is a reasonable assessment. Not that that will stop others from saying fujoshis are reading into things, as with winter's Rakugo, on which I believe people weren't just reading into things.

Almost any show with two male characters can admit a fujoshi friendly reading, and there's nothing wrong with it. (Some give more material to work with than others.) However, much of the most popular material intentional targeting that audience by design admits more than one reading, since the ambiguity is often part of the attraction (along with things like forbidden love and unhealthy relationships.)

Personally with Rakugo, I didn't find many people who said that it was "just reading into things" to see it with the fujoshi reading, and I would disagree with them as I think that there was ample reason to read it that way, aided by directorial choices. However, I did find a lot of people insisting that it was wrong and impossible to view the show without such a reading, an argument I find equally annoying. Nothing wrong with saying "I see why you would view it that way, but I view it another way and the text admits both."

Oh I wasn't saying there is anything wrong with that. Fujoshis are hardly the only members of the fanbase who read into things. You can find plenty of yuri readings into things and even reading romantic feelings into male/female pairings, although of course in the latter case it's usually just textual and not subtextual. Aside from canon pairings, it's pretty much the basis of fanfiction/doujinshi.

@danshi_boy3 She wasn't saying that Queer romance is unnecessary in YA in general, just in this particular story. Should there be more? Yes, for the reasons you mentioned. Should this particular one include it? I don't know.
Keichitsu0305

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 12:05 am Reply with quote
Really loved the pacing and character interactions between Go and Takumi. Atsuko's writing style meeting the Wandering Son visuals along with the naturalistic dialogue sort of makes Battery feel like a mini movie; if there was a live action adaptation I would love to see it. I really like how instead if having the two main leads be in a tiring rivalry immediately off the bat (hurr hurr) their personalities need together but spiked only when the other wasn't giving their best such as the catching scene.

Also yeah it's gonna be hard for me not to ship these two (for the love of God Takumi is the "pitcher" and Go is the "catcher"; it's too damn easy!!) but if they just remain close friends.........yeah I'm still gonna ship it. Laughing
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 2:56 am Reply with quote
The character design, their writing, and voice talent really betrays the characters' age. I would've given the 2 leads a 15-16-ish age-range, rather than someone to just graduated from elementary school.
Merida

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 3:07 am Reply with quote
Coming from a country where baseball is virtually non-existent, this sport and it's popularity is still a complete enigma to me, even after watching (and very much enjoying) all seasons of Oofuri

But this looks promising so far, though i'm sensing death flags all over "cute little bro"... Sad And i sure hope this thread won't derail into yet another endless discussion about whether or not the gay subtext ist real.

Last edited by Merida on Sat Jul 16, 2016 5:26 am; edited 1 time in total
Rederoin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 8:24 am Reply with quote
Merida wrote:
Coming from a country where baseball is virtually non-existent, this sport and it's popularity is still a complete enigma to me, even after watching (and very much enjoying) all seasons of Oofuri

But this looks promising so far, though i'm sensing death flags all over "cute little bro"... Sad And i sure hope this thread won't derail into yet another endless discussion about whether or not the gay subtext ist real.

Baseball is only fun to me in Fiction form(i.e One outs and DnA). Way to slow paced IRL, watched part of the euro finals last year between my country and Italy, and it was way to much waiting around.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 10:26 am Reply with quote
Merida wrote:

But this looks promising so far, though i'm sensing death flags all over "cute little bro"... Sad And i sure hope this thread won't derail into yet another endless discussion about whether or not the gay subtext is real.

As someone from the country most associated with the sport, even I don't see the appeal in the sport, mainly due to the slow pacing as Rederoin said.

As to the other portion, so far no one has argued that gay subtext doesn't exist, in general or even in particular. Hopefully that won't happen.
Peebs

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 5:59 pm Reply with quote
Merida wrote:
...i'm sensing death flags all over "cute little bro"... Sad

This^

Every time his health is mentioned or how he can't play baseball because he's frail, I think the same thing to myself. In the first episode alone, it felt like a field of death flags. The kid might as well be wearing a Red Shirt. I do like him. He's the opposite of MC who I find to be a pain in the neck to deal with already.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5