• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sharin no Kuni Visual Novel Localization Kickstarter Suspended, Restart Planned

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kougeru

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 3:37 pm Reply with quote
Here's an idea to start with: No extra charge for pre-existing content.

By that, I mean they were gonna charge an extra 10-15 dollars for the H-scenes. I don't care if they them out (Though these actually did add to the character's relationships), but charging extra for content they removed is just awful.
ponyclone

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 3:48 pm Reply with quote
not to even mention, this game is translated years ago, and they was gonna use fan work for their campaign (like every other new release which was already done).
I'd like new/old Untranslated games, that's deserve funding, not what they do
Paulo27

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 3:55 pm Reply with quote
You're not meant to be funding your localization with your kickstarter, at least read the name of the website you're using, 50k is plenty of money to get the project on the road, you'll get the rest through normal sales. They were already being really greedy here, failure deserved.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 4:13 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
Here's an idea to start with: No extra charge for pre-existing content.

By that, I mean they were gonna charge an extra 10-15 dollars for the H-scenes. I don't care if they them out (Though these actually did add to the character's relationships), but charging extra for content they removed is just awful.

It sounds like they were taking "sex sells" a little too literally.
OwlBiceps

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 4:39 pm Reply with quote
Paulo27 wrote:
You're not meant to be funding your localization with your kickstarter, at least read the name of the website you're using, 50k is plenty of money to get the project on the road, you'll get the rest through normal sales. They were already being really greedy here, failure deserved.

~150k was how much the Clannad and other VN's of other similar and larger size required to localize. It's not greed, it's just how much these things cost to produce. Its sad that they were forced to have to roll the dice again with a 2nd updated Kickstarter which may not even keep the supporters of the previous one. Also, not many companies can afford to fund something as expensive as a localization large VN(which also happens to have a VERY niche market in the US) out of pocket when you can have your customers crowdsource it, not to mention that this is TOM dipping their toe in the water to see if future localisations are a good idea or not.
Paulo27

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 4:51 pm Reply with quote
OwlBiceps wrote:
out of pocket when you can have your customers crowdsource it
That's exactly what I'm saying, this mentality is bad.
And these games don't cost millions to make, come on, they are asking for what'd be like 20% of the budget of these things, which I highly doubt is what they are spending on these localizations, especially when they use fan translations (and do silly things like remove the sex scenes, which costs them money, which they'll ask you to pay, and then if you want them back you have to pay them again for the work of putting them back).
OwlBiceps

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 5:21 pm Reply with quote
First of all, yes t/l's are expensive, even if you are using fan t/l's for reference. Additionally distribution of the physical goods is expensive, considering that they are manufactured, stored, and shipped out of Japan. And this game has a small market to begin with. Even if you Kickstart 50k and sell 100k worth of copies, you would just be breaking even. That's a problem, because, news flash, people need money to live. I don't even think that this localisation could have even existed without a Kickstarter, or a big publisher like XSEED to pick it up.

I do agree that the whole 18+ scenes is kinna shitty and sleezy though. If anything, it's counter productive because it leads to people seeking out the fanlations and pirated versions.
razisgosu

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 5:56 pm Reply with quote
If they keep the mosaics in, my money stays in my wallet.
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 6:07 pm Reply with quote
I'm always amused when companies compare their VN to that of Clannad, with a "If Clannad can make that much, we can too".

No, no you can't. You're not Clannad. Or Muv-Luv.

The prices they wanted for the Alpha sketch were hilarious. 5K? Please. You could buy a hand drawn sketch for $100 several years ago at AX. While I realize the point is to generate money for the project, with so many other Kickstarters offering nice sketches at $1750, you'll be hard pressed for business.
OwlBiceps

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 6:21 pm Reply with quote
^ The only other VN's that can meet that kind of success here are some of the Type Moon ones. *wink wink* Get on that Sekai Project.
MoonPhase1

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 8:08 pm Reply with quote
Well I do at least hope the Vita stretch goal happens. But I think this Kickstarter showed up at a bad time.
Mr Sinister

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 11:51 pm Reply with quote
Questionable pricing matters aside, I really do hope that this is successful. This title is the sole reason I wish this site reviewed visual novels. It's such an incredible story that so many people don't even know exists.
OwlBiceps

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 12:43 am Reply with quote
Mr Sinister wrote:
Questionable pricing matters aside, I really do hope that this is successful. This title is the sole reason I wish this site reviewed visual novels. It's such an incredible story that so many people don't even know exists.

Zac said in an ANNCast once said that ANN can't review VN's because they take to long to finish, but thanks for the recommendation. I'll be sure to support the Kickstarter if it comes back.
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 8:55 am Reply with quote
Not exactly surprised.

First, the goal was unrealistic.

Second, while based on the japanese PS3 version which albeit not having all the content of the earlier fandisc did have the Houzuki part, the kickstarter one didn't have it as part of the main goal but as a stretch goal at $240.000 (let's be realistic, if the base goal was unattainable, that is simply ludicrous...).

Third, the marketing of this was simply poor. I myself while aware of the Predundia page from earlier, only found out the Kickstarter had started via an earlier ANN article, by which time the campaign was already halfways...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1