• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Best and Worst Manga of 2016 Results - Comic-Con International

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MetalHunter

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 5:24 pm Reply with quote
Yay Bleach! Lol Black Clover.
Koda89

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 5:35 pm Reply with quote
Whoa, whoa, whoa, Servant x Service under the worst category? The hell? Did the manga like suck compared to the anime? Because the anime was pretty damn good, imo.

Other than Bleach being under the underrated category(LOLwut), I don't have any other complaints about these picks.
Engineering Nerd

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 5:36 pm Reply with quote
Quality debate aside, I still do not understand why Bleach is listed as an "underrated" series, I mean, it is an international smash hit in terms of general popularity and sales, seems a bit out of place compare to other series in that category.

Yay for Haikyuu!! Totally deserving all the praises!

I gotta ask, is Black Clover THAT bad? I was initially pretty interested to pick it up, but now I have to think twice about it. Is it full of shoen tropes ( I can live with that as long as characters are charming enough) or flat-out uninspired/horrible?

Last edited by Engineering Nerd on Mon Jul 25, 2016 5:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
TheRahi00

Bleach is underrated..
Okay.

And Servant x Service being bad, oh well to each their own I guess.

Last edited by TheRahi00 on Mon Jul 25, 2016 5:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
malvarez1

How the heck is Bleach, one of Shonen Jump's flagship titles, under the radar? That boggles the mind.
Nonaka Machine Gun B

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 5:40 pm Reply with quote
I assume they put BLEACH in the "underrated" column because it's everyone's favorite punching bag. People drop into threads about it just to mention it sucks.
mgosdin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 5:42 pm Reply with quote
Uh, Servant X Service bad? Bleach underrated? No, I think not.

Mark Gosdin
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 5:42 pm Reply with quote
Under [New for Kids & Adults] there are franchises that premiered years ago, under [Continuing] there are some that have ended already, and Bleach in the [Underrated] category? It doesn't add up Confused Shocked
Koda89

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 5:48 pm Reply with quote
Hameyadea wrote:
Under [New for Kids & Adults] there are franchises that premiered years ago, under [Continuing] there are some that have ended already, and Bleach in the [Underrated] category? It doesn't add up Confused Shocked

The thing with the new and continuing categories is they are only focusing on the localization releases. So yes while things like Haikyuu!! have gone on for a few years and Your Lie in April have ended they count because Haikyuu!! just started releasing its manga in English and Your Lie is still going as well. Basically these awards aren't for the up to date status of Japan but rather the behind the times status of America's manga industry.
Jikkle

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 5:59 pm Reply with quote
Engineering Nerd wrote:
I gotta ask, is Black Clover THAT bad? I was initially pretty interested to pick it up, but now I have to think twice about it. Is it full of shoen tropes ( I can live with that as long as characters are charming enough) or flat-out uninspired/horrible?

It's a by the books Shonen with the try hard lovable loser MC everyone rallies around etc.

I really didn't find it to be bad as long as you're not going in expecting anything fresh or original.

If you enjoyed Naruto I would at least give Black Clover a try as it does feel like Naruto and probably why the series gets so much flak.

The one thing that the series has going for it is the pacing is pretty solid and it keeps things moving at a steady pace. You never feel like you're at one arc for too long and the series so far hasn't really detoured all that much.
CookieXL

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 5:59 pm Reply with quote
Engineering Nerd wrote:
Quality debate aside, I still do not understand why Bleach is listed as an "underrated" series, I mean, it is an international smash hit in terms of general popularity and sales, seems a bit out of place compare to other series in that category.

Yay for Haikyuu!! Totally deserving all the praises!

Well. Black Clover is not that bad, i like it and it's fun to read. Yeah there are some of that Shōnen tropes in it, but not too many. But just read it sometime and come with your own conclusion. Smile
Nekelen Tinsley

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 6:00 pm Reply with quote
Seeing Black Clover on the worst list just made me laugh. I kinda agree about Yowamushi Pedal being underrated but bleach ehh i think its fine but i wouldn't consider it underrated and i hope somebody licence mob psycho id love to collect it.
zawa113

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 6:09 pm Reply with quote
I would put Rose of Versailles under most anticipated as well for me. I do think Udon said on Twitter that it got delayed, but damn, do they need to be more clear about this, I want it! And I most definitely want Otherworld Barbara, since that's coming out even sooner!
Valhern

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 6:10 pm Reply with quote
GIANT KILLING?! Yes, YES. Please for the love of whatever, Giant Killing deserves it.
SquadmemberRitsu

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 6:11 pm Reply with quote
Wow, Bleach's popularity is so nonexistent these days that it managed to win an underrated award? That's crazy.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5