• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - A Thousand Miles

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AksaraKishou

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 1:42 pm Reply with quote
About God Eater, the reason it had so many problems was because it's production was rushed.

It's delays came about Bamco forcing simultaneous production alongside ufoUBW (thus explaining the drop in quality and ep 18) and immediate airing right after. That and the complex artstyle chosen complicates production, forcing delays even for the hyped preair screening. Why? because GER was to be released at beginning of Fall.

(For those wondering, the guys putting in the money are the ones who decide when the anime will be aired as well as the episode count.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 2:17 pm Reply with quote
Thank you for another show! Pre-lubed doughnuts for all!

It is always interesting to read about others' experiences of university anime clubs. Because mine only consisted of fansubs and drinking opportunities, from which I abstained, the notion that earlier clubs were politically tumultuous frontiers of discovery has a certain fable-like quality to it.

What Jacob said about episode seven of Sweetness and Lightning was quite lucid. We can tell Tsumugi is doing something wrong by leaving the house alone, but at the same time we are awkwardly invited to see things with her enthusiasm and insouciance, our adult wariness being put into direct conflict with our rekindled memories of childhood wonder. That said, it demonstrated how the format whereby each episode must have a cooking section can be to the show's detriment. No kitchen scene could respectfully follow such a frank moment as Tsumugi's confrontation with her father.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Themaster20000

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 2:17 pm Reply with quote
Welp,you sold me on Queen Emeraldas now! Was planning on getting it eventually,but now it's at the top of my list now! I'd say The Fifth Element is disqualified from being perfect,due to having Chris Tucker being annoying as fudge for half of it.
Parsifal24

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 2:31 pm Reply with quote
Watanabe, Masaharu's (Director of Re:Zero) only previous Directing credit is Wakaba Girl other than that mostly storyboard and key animation and some episode direction. Also as concerns Re:Zero I really had no problem with what happened with Rem as the previous episodes leading up to episode 18 pretty much broke Subaru. He needed someone to be in his "corner." That person just happened to be Rem.

As far as underrated series I would have to say Gintama at least in The West as I just started watching it and it's able to juggle comedy and drama and also makes me wish Rie Kugimiya did more comedy.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 2:47 pm Reply with quote
Masaharu also directed the second half of the Rock Lee comedic spinoff but otherwise yeah his resume is light on direction, which makes his work in Re:Zero kinda amazing. The person who did series composition, Masahiro Yokotani, has more series composition under their belt (all the seasons of Free!, Hataraku Maou-sama, Shimoneta, among others).
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 6:19 pm Reply with quote
This episode inspired me to buy some doughnuts, but of the already-lubricated kind. Sorry, Miles.

I bought the first volume of Queen Emeraldas in advance of Otakon with the intention of reading it while I was in in Baltimore, but didn't for some dumb reason. I'm certainly all the more enthusiastic about reading it now, although perversely, sometimes I'm reluctant to read things because I'll miss being able to look forward to reading them.

Galaxy Express 999 is one of my favorite films, which I write without qualification, and I've long been curious about Leiji Matsumoto's manga, so I was very happy when Kodansho announced at Otakon last year that they'd licensed it. I hope that it sells well. My expectations are pessimistic, but hope springs eternal.

When I think of series that not many people have watched, but that I wish they would, my mind usually turns immediately to Birdy the Mighty: Decode. I really liked it and loved the second season, but it sold abominably in Japan and ended up with a S.A.V.E edition in the United States. It's a seriously good show; you should watch it! Figure 17 and Kurau: Phantom Memory were really excellent, but aren't really on the tips of anybody's tongue either.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
GVman

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 12:01 am Reply with quote
Man, those are some weird thoughts on manga. Or maybe I'm the weird one. Part of why I like manga so much is that I control the pacing to an extent. The folks who made it still ultimately control it, which is why reading four volumes of Bleach takes no time, but reading a few chapters Lone Wolf and Cub feels like I just ate a three-course-meal; I have to take a break afterwards.

With anime, they decide the pacing, and I can only sit there and passively watch something for so long before I need to get up and do something. I read so much more in that timespan than I watch. With manga, there's also less cooks in the kitchin, so to speak. They have assistants, yes, but nothing on the scale of an anime production staff. I guess I'm just more used to comics, so I have a better feel for when to speed up and slow down.

I also find it odd that anime is such a social thing for y'all. None of my hobbies are because I wanted to meet people; it's just because I found whatever it was interesting. Finding folks who also liked that stuff came later. Hell, that's probably why I've never cared that much about keeping up with the hubbub each season. I'd much rather try to find folks that like the things I like than watch something I have no interest in.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 12:35 am Reply with quote
Yeah, anime has never really been a social thing for me either. The only times I've watched it with other people is with my brothers, more so when we were younger and watched Toonami. After that it became a solitary endeavor, in part due to timing (not going to make anyone stay up late on a Saturday night to watch anime) but mostly disinterest. Both are casual fans at best at this point. I do watch anime with the older of my younger brothers, but mostly passively like what was discussed in last week's podcast and its forum (with the exception of the first few episodes of 91 Days). I did have coworkers who were anime fans as well, but they were fairly casual so I found it difficult to have much to talk about given that I watch mostly (and most of) currently airing anime (I have added more older series after I finished catching up on One Piece and Detective Conan).

But I've never really been very interested in manga that much. I prefer a medium that is more...animated. And given the many complaints I hear about the adaptation from manga readers, persuasive and not, I fear that reading the manga would ruin the experience, even beyond being spoiled on the events of the anime, that I'm inclined to just stick with anime.
BVerfG

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 1:55 am Reply with quote
Parsifal24 wrote:
Watanabe, Masaharu's (Director of Re:Zero) only previous Directing credit is Wakaba Girl other than that mostly storyboard and key animation and some episode direction. Also as concerns Re:Zero I really had no problem with what happened with Rem as the previous episodes leading up to episode 18 pretty much broke Subaru. He needed someone to be in his "corner." That person just happened to be Rem.

As far as underrated series I would have to say Gintama at least in The West as I just started watching it and it's able to juggle comedy and drama and also makes me wish Rie Kugimiya did more comedy.

Come again? Gintama is literally in the Top 15 of every major Top Anime list. On MAL and anidb.net it even is in the Top 5. How is that underrated, especially in the west?
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 8:17 am Reply with quote
My anime watching has never been social. I've managed to talk my wife into watching maybe a dozen shows over the last nineteen years. Other than that it has always been just me the video player of the time and the TV.

I got into anime on a blind buy based on the VHS box graphics and blurb. I was aware that there was an anime club at the local junior college but they were teens and early 20s and I wasn't. It wasn't until I got on the ANN forums that I ran into anyone close to me in age. Magazines were my only connection to anime fandom until they mostly died since then it has been ANN.
WingKing

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 9:10 am Reply with quote
BVerfG wrote:
Come again? Gintama is literally in the Top 15 of every major Top Anime list. On MAL and anidb.net it even is in the Top 5. How is that underrated, especially in the west?

Broadly speaking, there are two ways to argue a show is "underrated." One is critical - the show is better than its reputation would have you think. The other is popular - it's a good show and for whatever reason most anime fans aren't choosing to watch it, or have never even heard of it. With Gintama, its western fan base is a lot like LOGH's - its not that large in terms of sheer numbers, but its fans love their show and are extremely passionate about it. So in terms of reputation or critical appreciation, it's not underrated, but in terms of popular appreciation, I can see Parsifal's argument. For the record, I haven't seen Gintama either (and have no plans to - based on the clips I've seen it's sense of humor is pretty clearly Not For Me), so that's just my observation.

Picking an underrated show for me is easy: Kaitou Joker. Even though it's on CR, everyone's basically ignored it for no good reason I can tell other than that it's a so-called "kids" series. No one reviews it, I only know one person who's blogged about it (and even then only once), and only about 2,000 MAL users have even finished watching the first season. And yet, all three seasons have been among the most consistently fun and entertaining shows that I've watched over the past few years. And "consistently" is important. When so many shows are wildly up and down in quality from episode to episode, it's nice to have one show in my lineup that I can reliably count on to deliver a satisfying new episode every week, and Joker almost always does that. No, it's not especially deep or complex - though it does have an overarching plot, and isn't just totally episodic - but I'm not watching it for complexity. I'm watching it as something I can just have fun with - 20 minutes a week to enjoy Joker's capers and adventures and have a few laughs at some of the jokes before I go on with life.

(I also appreciated Miles' nod to Wish Upon the Pleiades, another show that I thought was better than it generally got credit for, though I will say both Rose and Rebecca's reviews of it on this site were fair and reasonable, IMO).
One-Eye

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 9:13 am Reply with quote
Anime watching has never been social for me. Nowadays everybody goes to see a superhero movie and comics are considered part of "geek culture". Not many people thought of those things in terms of "culture" when I was young. When I grew up cartoons and comics were looked down on and the sooner you gave them up the sooner you could reach adulthood so you could do real things. It was almost like having an imagination was frowned on once you hit eight years old or so. Most of my friends when I was small were all into sports and it wasn't until I hit my early teens that I also had friends which were into tabletop RPGs and war-gaming. All of those really were an excuse for eating junkfood and socializing. However, none of those people were into cartoons or anime and only a few were into comics. I have more friends now that I'm an old dude who have a casual interest in anime but its not a driving reason for socializing.
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 10:16 am Reply with quote
Watching anime has never been a social activity for me (I don't do those much anyway... filthy humans), but I have done it for socially motivated reasons.

My interest in anime has had roughly three eras:

Era 1: 1996 (Or 1997; I'm not sure) to 1999: This started when I first saw Project A-Ko on The Sci-Fi Channel while home sick from school, which ended up being when I first became aware that anime was a distinct 'thing'. For the most part, this era entailed my privately watching whatever showed up on Saturday Anime and Toonami. I became faintly aware of 'the community', but never sought it out. In time, my interested faded. I still watched a few things when television proffered them, but there was no self-identification as an 'anime fan' (I've always rejected calling myself, "an Otaku.") or pursuit of the content.

Era 2: 2001 to 2005: On the evening before Labor Day, I came home from having visited friends of the family with an inexplicable urge to watch some anime. By sheer brilliant luck, I happened upon the Adult Swim premiere of Cowboy Bebop. It was glorious. What made it stick was that the next day, a close friend happened to ask if I'd seen it and talked about how another of my close friends had been raving about it. This was the only period when anime was anywhere near conventionally social for me. We couldn't afford much, so sharing what series any of us had been able to acquire together and talking about them became an important part of our relationships. Sometimes we watched together, but often one of us would borrow a series, watch it alone, then return it to the lender. As often as not, when together we watched favorites; the old Banda Cowboy Bebop release was a regular at our gatherings. This era faded as we dispersed to college. None of us really embraced our college anime clubs. We were nerds (in addition to anime, we were also defined by Dungeons & Dragons), but somehow didn't feel at home with the anime club crowd. I count this era as ending shortly after I bought volume 2 of SaiKano, but not watching it. I continued to watch most of what appeared on Adult Swim and watched a little on Hulu, but I ceased buying anime or seeking information about it out.

Era 3: 2011 - Present/2015 (Open to debate): On a whim, I watched Claymore on Hulu in February of 2011 and resumed visiting ANN regularly for the first time in many years. Between having more means to acquire it and anime being cheaper, I watched more anime in this period than in all the years before it combined. I began attending Otakon in 2013. Nevertheless, I almost always watched it alone. I have watched a very few things, such as the Wolf Children premiere at Otakon with a crowd, but that was out of necessity and I had no engagement with such crowds. Sometimes I watched something so that I could have some connection to the discussions around it. The best case for this was probably Lupin III: The Woman Called Fujiko Mine. However, over time that lost its allure and I had a crisis of confidence over the merits of writing reviews or engaging with media at all. (Or anything that exists having any genuine meaning)

Anime isn't a detached interest for me, but it is an asocial one. In significant part this is because I prefer to keep my 'inner life', if you'll forgive the pretentious phrase, at a distance from the rest of humanity, so it would be uncomfortable and unnatural for me to do otherwise.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 12:15 pm Reply with quote
With this guest, I'll start an ugly rumor based on what Zac said about a future larger program "with" Crunchyroll, that ANN and CR might merge with ANN expanding the "news" arm of CR or at least begin collaborating extremely closely. This is "supported" by the appearance of Nick CREAMER writing a new "featured" column on CR even though CR has had staff writing such columns regularly since it's creation. Someone will say, "stupid! Nick is a free-lancer" but I haven't seen his work anywhere except ANN and it seems too coincidental that the brand manager of CR appears on the show a month after this development. Also, I can't think of a reason for Zac wanting a CR brand manager with him on the show "for a long time" and not talk about all the industry-shaking things CR is doing rather than one of the CR original creators or why a brand manager would appear on such a show as this without a business reason. It could be "just for fun" or to increase CR fan exposure (as if it needs it) but these don't fly for me.
Boyhime732

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 12:54 pm Reply with quote
He has his own blog he gets paid to write on.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2