• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Buried Treasure - Touch

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ikarisama

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 11:18 pm Reply with quote
It's nice to see someone besides myself remembers this series. Perhaps if Yawara sells well Animeigo will give us another chance to recommend them old titles. Then maybe we could finally get an R1 release of Touch. But then again I am probably dreaming.
Asako

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 11:24 pm Reply with quote
Ahh I remember this series Very Happy wow it's been a while! Great going!
WorldofElegance

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 12:54 am Reply with quote
I would love to see an R1 release of this...good romance anime gets no love in the States. (Of course, that is changing with Honey and Clover being licensed, but VIZ got it and I'm terrified to see what they're gonna do with the release.)

I wish more companies would take an interest in older series...fans need to be reminded of how far anime has come since its inception, and how wonderful and touching older titles can be. After all, before there was fancy CG, there were solid storylines that sold fans on the shows. Anime smile
darkside31337

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 12:59 am Reply with quote
This show was absolutely amazing, one of the few buried treasures I'd actually agree with. I just hate how it's impossible to do a review on Touch without spoiling the events with Kazuya, because while I was watching the show, I definitely did not see that coming. It's a romance that makes it mark with its fantastic characters all around (unlike a lot of modern day shows), with an enjoyable baseball aspect to it too.
ZODDGUTS

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 1:23 am Reply with quote
I love Adachi's manga his artwork may not be overly detailed but it's very likeable once you get used to it. Touch is easily my favorite of his work. People should really check it out if not the anime then the manga.

All of Adachi's manga have likeable characters wish that Major (an baseball manga/anime by another manga-ka) was like that instead it has a loudmouth annoying prick i.e. similiar too Naruto and also that manga takes itself way too seriously.

BTW There's also a live action TV series of H2 that came out a few years ago it's decent but it doesn't catch the personalities of the characters much.
darcerin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 1:37 am Reply with quote
I hate sports, especially baseball, which I find particularly boring. But I would *love* to see this show.
kgw

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 3:16 am Reply with quote
Greenwood, Gundam 0080, Touch... my all-time favourites... Are you sure you are not my long-lost American twin? Shocked

Touch was a hit (or so) in 80-90's in Europe or at least in France, Italy and Spain (a country which doesn't know a word of baseball). So Touch manga & anime has been released here.
If you can watch R2 DVD, you got the movies in French & Spanish, and the TV serie just in French (both the "localizated" -just dubbed- and the uncut version -just subbed-).
egress63

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 4:18 am Reply with quote
Why was their such a huge spoiler in this article? Mad

I just obtained my own copy of Touch a few weeks back and have been watching it since the past few days. Now this article comes up and tells me that spoiler[a lead character dies!!!] This column is tell people about unheard series, not to tell them the ending/development of these series!!!

Damn! The series is now ruined for me.
kgw

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 4:43 am Reply with quote
You are wrong: spoiler[the lead character doesn't die, since that's Tatsuya] Wink. Besides, spoiler[it happens in the 20-something episode... ] you still have a lot of Touch to enjoy it.
egress63

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 4:59 am Reply with quote
Since the series largely runs on the three characters so that piece of information IMO is spoilerish. While it may be necessary, I'm sure the columnist could have stated the info vaguely. There might be lot more to the story but since I am on episode 2 (heck, its just starting right now) - that piece of info came as a rude surprise.

I used to look forward to this column a lot but if such aspects of the show are revealed - wouldn't it dampen the fun?
ZODDGUTS

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 5:24 am Reply with quote
darcerin wrote:
I hate sports, especially baseball, which I find particularly boring. But I would *love* to see this show.

coughVeohcough
UtenaAnthy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 6:37 am Reply with quote
*coughfiveminutescoughantilinuxdiscriminationcough*

I've been meaning to watch Touch for a while, I'll go check it out.

I actually do have a cold at the moment BTW. I'm off college at the moment, which is a bit rubbish cause I'm missing performing arts and art & design, today it's rights & responsibilities and... something or another.
leongsh

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 6:45 am Reply with quote
This sports/romance anime is one of my all-time favourites. I picked up the (expensive but highly worth it) R2J DVD-Box when it was released in late 2004 and it's one of the treasures in my DVD collection. Wrote a review of the R2J DVD boxset release for another site (link) Wink

Do note that you can also get the R2J DVD single volumes but there's 17 individual volumes to get. The expensive limited edition DVD boxset is actually a more cost effective way of getting the full series on R2J.

I do agree with Justin that "An old, long series like Touch has a snowball's chance in hell of ever getting licensed for R1, especially with the market the way it is at the moment." It's sad that an anime classic will only be known by very few outside of Japan.
here-and-faraway

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 7:29 am Reply with quote
Thank you! I loooooooove this series.
bci110

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 7:57 am Reply with quote
WorldofElegance wrote:
I would love to see an R1 release of this...good romance anime gets no love in the States.

Same here. I would love to get the opportunity to see this series, especially with the baseball aspect contained in it. I'm a huge baseball fan so I know I will enjoy watching Touch. Cool
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3