• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Kodansha Comics Previews Attack on Titan Anthology Book in Video

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
traitorAIZEN

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 3:08 am Reply with quote
They better respect this manga
ParaChomp

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 3:14 am Reply with quote
traitorAIZEN wrote:
They better respect this manga
Considering the people behind it, they probably will. Have you seen their resumes?
Tylerr

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 6:16 am Reply with quote
biggest hit of the decade?

what?
Badcrazy

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 6:23 am Reply with quote
Tylerr wrote:

what?

While such a claim is a little much you have to admit Attack on Titan is really popular not much has really hit off as well in recent years.
jenny10-11

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 6:27 am Reply with quote
Looking forward to this one. I always like seeing characters and worlds I know re-imagined by different artists.
Daelowsensei

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 7:22 am Reply with quote
Badcrazy wrote:
Tylerr wrote:

what?

While such a claim is a little much you have to admit Attack on Titan is really popular not much has really hit off as well in recent years.

I really don't understand why people think this anime is so amazing.. I watched the same anime and I don't see it
sim0n2170

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 7:23 am Reply with quote
Tylerr wrote:

what?

Manga sold 16M during the year it aired and 11M the next year. No other manga has had this big of a boost and had 10M+ figures 2 years in a row after their anime finished (Not counting One Piece). AOT Vol 1 has 123 weeks on NY Times best seller and only series with a vol over 100 weeks. Anime sold 52k+ on average across 9 volumes. It's literally everywhere, Japan and Internationally and has a ton of merch. Indeed the biggest hit in terms of sales, if that's what Kodansha is going for.
Animechic420

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 8:03 am Reply with quote
Daelowsensei wrote:
Badcrazy wrote:
Tylerr wrote:

what?

I really don't understand why people think this anime is so amazing.. I watched the same anime and I don't see it

Well, you don't have to like every single anime out there. I didn't think Code Geass was all that spectacular, yet people still think it's amazing. Mr. Green
joac101

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 9:59 am Reply with quote
Daelowsensei wrote:
Badcrazy wrote:
Tylerr wrote:

what?

Because this anime is one of the few anime that made a huge hit in the west, ask any teen what anime they know and they will probably say dragon ball, pokemon, and that's right, Attack on Titan
Swiftyy

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 12:01 pm Reply with quote
Serious Question: How many people here are actually interested in this Anthology?
Lostlorn Forest

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 12:34 pm Reply with quote
Swiftyy wrote:
Serious Question: How many people here are actually interested in this Anthology?

I'm a huge fan, and to be honest, not that interested Razz Either that or I'm just lazy. I can't stand side/spin-off material even if in collaboration with the original author (for example, though I'm a Potterhead, I'm getting kicked by friends just to see Beasts).

I do like that notable people are getting involved in it. And it's nice to see different artists give different takes on the Titans. Some of the artwork looks a bit too contorted though.
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 2:32 pm Reply with quote
Swiftyy wrote:

Not particularly. Seems like a desperate attempt for comics to cash in on a popular anime/manga.

Badcrazy wrote:
While such a claim is a little much you have to admit Attack on Titan is really popular not much has really hit off as well in recent years

'One of', yes, but not 'the'. Yokai Watch is bigger, I'd say.

-Stuart Smith
Shenl742

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 2:46 pm Reply with quote
Swiftyy wrote:

I'm extremely interested! I don't think it can be overstated as to how amazing the pool of talent assembled for this is.
Twage

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 8:36 pm Reply with quote
Stuart Smith wrote:
Badcrazy wrote:
While such a claim is a little much you have to admit Attack on Titan is really popular not much has really hit off as well in recent years

If you look at US manga sales data, Attack on Titan is almost ten times more popular than Yokai Watch. Worldwide, AoT has 60 million copies in print. Yokai Watch is nowhere close to that level of popularity.
sim0n2170

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 11:25 pm Reply with quote
Twage wrote:
Stuart Smith wrote:
Badcrazy wrote:

If you look at US manga sales data, Attack on Titan is almost ten times more popular than Yokai Watch. Worldwide, AoT has 60 million copies in print. Yokai Watch is nowhere close to that level of popularity.
60M is only Japan btw as stated by SNK Editor https://twitter.com/ShingekiKyojin/status/772407476297748480
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2