• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Russian Blogger Jailed for Playing Pokémon Go in Church Released

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gemnist

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 4:54 pm Reply with quote
Oh good.
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 5:04 pm Reply with quote
Yet again, Russia shows that it's a full on dictatorship.
kpk

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 5:25 pm Reply with quote
Oh Russia. You're such a shitty country.
Animechic420

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 6:05 pm Reply with quote
This makes me feel bad for the nation. All he wants is to be friends with everyone, but now everyone is starting to hate him because of the odd/unfair rules and law of his country.
JDude042

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 6:07 pm Reply with quote
In Soviet Russia, country forks you!
Polycell

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 6:25 pm Reply with quote
TsukasaElkKite wrote:
I did some research and it seems these laws go back to the nineties. It's a bit wily, but the one I found was this:
Quote:
Article 282. Incitement of National, Racial, or Religious Enmity

1. Actions aimed at the incitement of national, racial, or religious enmity, abasement of human dignity, and also propaganda of the exceptionality, superiority, or inferiority of individuals by reason of their attitude to religion, national, or racial affiliation, if these acts have been committed in public or with the use of mass media,
shall be punishable by a fine in the amount of 500 to 800 minimum wages, or in the amount of the wage or salary, or any other income of the convicted person for a period of five to eight months, or by restraint of liberty for a term of up to three years, or by deprivation of liberty for a term of two to four years.
2. The same acts committed:
a) with the use of violence or with the threat of its use;
b) by a person through his official position;
c) by an organized group,
shall be punishable by deprivation of liberty for a term of three to five years.
I'm pretty sure it's the "inferiority of individuals by reason of their attitude to religion" bit that got him in trouble(not necessarily for this stunt alone, since he has a pattern of behavior that they could probably construe as such).
Heishi

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 7:19 pm Reply with quote
God, how bad is it to live in Russia?
I'm wondering here.
Zachary Whyatt Jianniney

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 8:01 pm Reply with quote
Polycell wrote:
TsukasaElkKite wrote:
I did some research and it seems these laws go back to the nineties. It's a bit wily, but the one I found was this:
Quote:
Article 282. Incitement of National, Racial, or Religious Enmity

1. Actions aimed at the incitement of national, racial, or religious enmity, abasement of human dignity, and also propaganda of the exceptionality, superiority, or inferiority of individuals by reason of their attitude to religion, national, or racial affiliation, if these acts have been committed in public or with the use of mass media,
shall be punishable by a fine in the amount of 500 to 800 minimum wages, or in the amount of the wage or salary, or any other income of the convicted person for a period of five to eight months, or by restraint of liberty for a term of up to three years, or by deprivation of liberty for a term of two to four years.
2. The same acts committed:
a) with the use of violence or with the threat of its use;
b) by a person through his official position;
c) by an organized group,
shall be punishable by deprivation of liberty for a term of three to five years.
I'm pretty sure it's the "inferiority of individuals by reason of their attitude to religion" bit that got him in trouble(not necessarily for this stunt alone, since he has a pattern of behavior that they could probably construe as such).
How are you gonna say that's "Inferiority of individuals" personally I use my mouth before my fist so If I have a problem with something someone is doing I'll kindly ask them to stop or do that somewhere else granted it calls for it. I seem to sense some immaturity here they got so upset that someone was playing pokemon go in there presence and instead of being mature and asking the individual to leave they called the police.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 8:26 pm Reply with quote
While being under house arrest isn't a fun experience, at least it's better than languishing in a jail cell.
WANNFH

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 10:52 pm Reply with quote
Well, you're all completely gone wrong and went ahead with the blaming of the law of "Evil Evil Russia", because I think you didn't know the true story behind that all. He didn't jailed because of just playing Pokemon Go in church (that's not criminal, by the way) but for "incitement to hatred and attacks on the liberty of faith" and "incitement of hatred" articles. Basically, he provoked the believers on the video which he's put on his channel on YouTube, where he's not only just played the game, but also obscenely spoke against God and believers. In the church.

And most importantly - he knew that in Russia there is a criminal responsibility for this kind of act for sure, but he has decided to deliberately provoke the people just for the sake of his persona popularity. Basically - he's just one of the completely dumb kind of vlogers, who just wanted some attention and fame to his persona, and absolutely doesn't care about what it will be. And because of how bloated this whole situation in the press - you just gave it to him.

Of course, the serious criminal punishment it's a severe measure, but I would like if the law enforcement agencies to made him perform administrative work for the public, because some people just need to be teached the elementary reasoning.
encrypted12345

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 11:36 pm Reply with quote
WANNFH wrote:
Well, you're all completely gone wrong and went ahead with the blaming of the law of "Evil Evil Russia", because I think you didn't know the true story behind that all. He didn't jailed because of just playing Pokemon Go in church (that's not criminal, by the way) but for "incitement to hatred and attacks on the liberty of faith" and "incitement of hatred" articles. Basically, he provoked the believers on the video which he's put on his channel on YouTube, where he's not only just played the game, but also obscenely spoke against God and believers. In the church.

And most importantly - he knew that in Russia there is a criminal responsibility for this kind of act for sure, but he has decided to deliberately provoke the people just for the sake of his persona popularity. Basically - he's just one of the completely dumb kind of vlogers, who just wanted some attention and fame to his persona, and absolutely doesn't care about what it will be. And because of how bloated this whole situation in the press - you just gave it to him.

Of course, the serious criminal punishment it's a severe measure, but I would like if the law enforcement agencies to made him perform administrative work for the public, because some people just need to be teached the elementary reasoning.

Oh, that makes sense now. Arguably, it's still over the top punishment, but house arrest with no internet isn't the worst thing in the world.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 2:55 am Reply with quote
WANNFH wrote:

What did he do? Was he telling other people to go burn down churches or something?
WANNFH

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 3:20 am Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
What did he do? Was he telling other people to go burn down churches or something?
Provocated the believers in the rather obscene way, like singing song with swear lyrics about the God. In the church. And yes - in Russia it is a criminal offense that can bring you to the jail, if there is much evidence - and he has done it to himself with his YouTube video. (Well, at least it's not the Islamic country laws, which can seriously punished that kind of acts...)

By the way, there is some evidence on this vloger about the scam with donation contributions, but the criminal case on this issue isn't brought at this moment.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 5:19 pm Reply with quote
Heishi wrote:
God, how bad is it to live in Russia?
I'm wondering here.

You're fine.....so long as you're not a homosexual or a critic of Vladimir Putin.

WANNFH wrote:
Well, you're all completely gone wrong and went ahead with the blaming of the law of "Evil Evil Russia", because I think you didn't know the true story behind that all.

Even if what you said is true (which most of it isn't). That doesn't really justify the measures taken.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 10:36 pm Reply with quote
WANNFH wrote:
Provocated the believers in the rather obscene way, like singing song with swear lyrics about the God. In the church. And yes - in Russia it is a criminal offense that can bring you to the jail, if there is much evidence - and he has done it to himself with his YouTube video.

I see. It sounds like he's something of a jerk, but personally, it's not the sort of thing that'd be worth prison time. Getting kicked out of that church, definitely, but I see it as a misdemeanor at best. Of course, I also grew up in an environment far less shaped by religion than the average Russian (largely due to how my father was an atheist). I know religion is a really serious matter in Russia though.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2