• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Sound! Euphonium (TV + movies + OAV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 6:07 am Reply with quote
Bumping this thread because season 2 begins today.
Stark700

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 1:35 pm Reply with quote
Season 2, episode 1:

Well...now that was one hell of an episode. This episode so far is my favorite out of any show that aired from Fall season at the moment.

47+ minutes of godly animated Kyoto Animation quality. The chemistry between Reina and Kumiko is very charming. They also introduced a new guy (kinda feels like he has the sort of opposite personality compared to Taki). In the meantime, I'm pretty happy at how they gave all the main characters some moment.

Obviously, Reina and Kumiko got the most screen time. Good start, I'm guessing this season will take competition into a more serious direction? They got the Nationals coming and all. Anyways, very interested in the upcoming episodes.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Shikiari

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 2:33 pm Reply with quote
The best hair in anime is back!

How I've missed Sound! Euphonium and Kyoani over the last season and this extra-extra long episode was everything I needed to show that Kumiko is still perfect waifu material. I'm also super happy that Nao Toyama is voicing Nozomi because everything with her is instantly ten times better... fact.

Good lord, I just love this show! Razz
Beltane70

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 6:04 pm Reply with quote
It was great to see this show back for a new season! My favorite scene is definitely the festival with the fireworks.
Galap

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 11:40 pm Reply with quote
Wow, it's really been more than a year since the first one, hasn't it? That's pretty surprising to me. Seems like the first one just ended.

Anyway, cool start to season 2. Liked the double length episode. And really want to know what the shit that went down the year before was. It's pretty funny, but it also highlights the common types of asshole personalities that one encounters in high school.

One interesting moment I picked up on was the shot of this sink:

appears to be an homage to this painting by Antonio Lopez Garcia, in terms of both style and subject:

DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 9:16 am Reply with quote
Season 2, Episode 1

"Why did this episode feel so packed and long?..... wait this was actually 47 minutes long!" That was pretty much my reaction when we finally reached the ED. Looking at the episode I really think the double length was warranted, the complete tone for this start of the second season was pretty amazing, and I kind of lost track of the time. The Crunchyroll app on my Xbox does not show how long the episode is unless I rewind or fast-forward, and yet I did not get impatient.

And can we just bring it back that Kyoto Animation strangely does its strongest work of romantic scenes between Kumiko and Reina. I mean we have scenes where Kumiko is teasing Reina about her interest in their teacher, but what is with that scene at the end? How else is that scene meant to come across as anything other than Kumiko realising that she totally has a thing for Reina when she squeezes hands? Reina even commented that that Kumiko is super indifferent to him, that particular scene almost playing out like Reina was protecting her girl. KyoAni do Free!, but this goes beyond that.

Okay, enough about yuri, there was plenty else in the show. Like the beautiful animation that pretty much blew away the good music. And looks like we will be returning to finding out about the incident with the now 2nd years in the previous year. I greatly appreciated the headspace we got with Kumiko where she herself was getting distracted by the vague parts of the story. In general it is kind of great being back in Kumiko's head.

Oh, Idea for nickname for the series: Sound Yuriphonium. Oh Google says it is already a thing. Anime smile + sweatdrop
Stark700

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 2:37 pm Reply with quote
Season 2, episode 2

Ah the fan service pool episode. Asuka and Reina looked great! (I think Asuka should consider wearing contacts in the future tbh)

The storytelling and characterization regarding Nozomi is interesting. Hopefully she'll solve her problems this season. In the meantime, I think Reina has a new rival? That new female teacher literally made her go deadfish eyes!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 8:59 am Reply with quote
Season 2, Episode 2

No one does pool scenes like Kyoto Animation, they seem to really up the bloom to convey atmosphere. I have seen it similarly done in Haruhi Suzumiya (endless eight), Hyouka (an OVA), and Chuunibyou (a dream), and there are probably others that have done it too, but those high bloom scenes mostly come to mind.

Asuka has always been quite into the purely for music thing, and if I had to guess it may be that she annoyed that she left in seeing a lack of dedication to that purity. First season she seemed to react negatively to the first sign of drama and dies not want any of it in the band.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 8:06 am Reply with quote
Stark700 wrote:
In the meantime, I think Reina has a new rival? That new female teacher literally made her go deadfish eyes!

That part was hilarious.

... And this is dickish on my part but it was doubly hilarious imagining how a certain subset of the fanbase is freaking out, trying to explain that away Twisted Evil
Yuri Fan

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 2:30 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
Stark700 wrote:
In the meantime, I think Reina has a new rival? That new female teacher literally made her go deadfish eyes!

That part was hilarious.

... And this is dickish on my part but it was doubly hilarious imagining how a certain subset of the fanbase is freaking out, trying to explain that away Twisted Evil

That is dickish. But I forgive you.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 5:03 pm Reply with quote
Thanks. I know most of you yuri fans are cool people, but I've suffered quite a bit at the hands of those extremists who believe having a penis makes you evil. It's those people in particular I can't help but enjoy seeing them squirm.
Stark700

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 2:05 pm Reply with quote
Season 2, episode 3

First, I'm glad to see that Reina is doing a lot better and found out that Taki isn't dating Satomi sensei. Although I don't think she knows about his past yet..

Kumiko on the other hand found out quite a bit from Hashimoto.

Idk how I feel about Kumiko's conversation with Asuka regarding Nozomi though. Obviously Natsuki wants her back..so it'll be interesting to see what Kumiko will do next. Interesting drama stuff this week.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 6:16 am Reply with quote
Despite saying nothing being a kindness, the answer to come out still seems to be to tell the truth, because nothing will change otherwise, even if that change might lead to some painful things. Nozomi is unaware that someone she thought was a close friend is disgusted by her sight (and sound), and it is not like Yoroizuka seems to be in a healthy place where she is in this status quo, she has no spirit.
Stark700

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 3:33 pm Reply with quote
Season 2, episode 4:

Ah Mizore...the girl that felt alone until Nozomi came to help her.

I'm glad this episode resolved the drama after Yuuko got involved. About time they made up. In the meantime, I guess we'll be getting some competitive heavy stuff in the upcoming episodes since the class did discuss a bit about the top schools and rankings.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 7:35 am Reply with quote
I actually kind of feel for Yuuko, her kind of finding the thing Mizore was afraid of, that her friendship with someone she considered close was further than they thought, and it was with her at that. She was practically an antagonist in the first season, butting her head in Reina' way for a friend who did not ask her to, creating weird politics within the band. In this season she learned that she greatly respects skill over seniority, that if anything she is just a fiercely loyal friend. It feels like she has grown as a fleshed out character, questioning how Kumiko sees her and showing respect to her to bring her in a bit. It is actually kind of like with Natsuki, which together has kind of grown them as a duo.

Special mention for the little specks of dust visible through the light during the confrontation scene.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 20 of 22