• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Ultra-Ultra-Rare Pokémon Card to Go on Auction

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Re:SOUL

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 3:50 pm Reply with quote
I can understand completionists wanting this but I don't know why people would spend so much over someone else's reward.
Sakurazuka_Reika

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 4:16 pm Reply with quote
People really like spending money on strange things....like another person's trophy.

Weird.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 5:04 pm Reply with quote
Eh. Lots of people buy tons Super Bowl rings an such things. Rich people are bored
Deynard

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 5:54 pm Reply with quote
Sakurazuka_Reika wrote:
People really like spending money on strange things....like another person's trophy.

Weird.

It's not about trophy, it's about collection. Imagine you have all of things in collection and then someone has something what you don't have. Like having 999 of 1000 cards but not this one.
AnimeLordLuis

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 6:21 pm Reply with quote
That sure is one pricey Pokémon card that's not technically an actual Pokémon card it's just someone else's trophy. Well as the saying goes there's a sucker born every minute. Laughing
Freyanne

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 8:48 pm Reply with quote
Re:SOUL wrote:
I can understand completionists wanting this but I don't know why people would spend so much over someone else's reward.
Bragging rights, basically. The whole "Look what I have, and there is only x amount of these in the world!" thing.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 12:05 am Reply with quote
Although not really a Pokémon Card in a technical sense, it does bring great happiness to those that are lucky to find it. Smile
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 5:01 am Reply with quote
Childhood memories of haggling for these cards? I had childhood memories of robbery, burglary, fights, and various threats for these cards. When someone learned I had a Charizard AND a Blastoise, some thief went through ridiculous means to attempt to take them (and my entire backpack with them). When whoever it was discovered I didn't have them that day, someone I knew discovered my backpack in a puddle on the floor of a boy's bathroom with everything inside damaged. (I'm guessing the thief had a tantrum upon discovering his prize wasn't inside.) My school district had to ban Pokémon cards a few months after they came out because the violence was getting so bad.

By the way, something I find pretty interesting: Tropical Beach was a really good card given out only to people who could get far enough into the 2011 or 2012 World Championships (which, in turn, are invitation-only). It was subsequently banned in 2013 because it was so hard to get. In other words, the people who run the TCG make sure to keep the cards accessible to everyone. Usually, promo cards like these are either not legal to put in a deck or are really weak. (Not like the Dragon Ball Z card game, where a competitively viable deck will cost you several thousand dollars because of how crazy rare some of them were.)
Sleipmon4

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 7:23 am Reply with quote
Estimated worth: $50 000
Actual worth: $4

It's a Pokemon card, not a Michelangelo.
Shiflan

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 2:59 pm Reply with quote
Deynard wrote:

It's not about trophy, it's about collection. Imagine you have all of things in collection and then someone has something what you don't have. Like having 999 of 1000 cards but not this one.

Yes indeed, that's 100% correct. And part of the reason you see such high prices for these (among other similar things, like rare NES cartridges, other CCG cards like MtG, etc, is because of nostalgia. The people who grew up with these things as children are now adults making real money. They can now afford to get all the things they only dreamed about having as children.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 12:38 am Reply with quote
Sleipmon4 wrote:

At least this is the real deal and is genuinely rare, unlike the Ghost in a Jar.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 2:07 am Reply with quote
Sleipmon4 wrote:

Don't crush the hopes of such fans.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1