• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - The Discotek Threat

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Swami.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 1:16 pm Reply with quote
Okay, I usually am upbeat when I post on an ANN forum, but today is the exact opposite.

Zac, I admire and respect all the hard work you do for ANN and how much of a positive impact you have had on the anime community. I can go even further and say that both you and Jacob have ignited my anime fandom and have helped me meet some of the most amazing people in the world!

With that being said, the opening statement plea you made at the beginning of this podcast irked me the wrong way.

Zac, I believe you and everyone else has a right to their own opinion, and I think that's great. You make a disclaimer on both your Twitter feed and your podcast that "the views that are expressed on both are not the views of Anime News Network."

However my problem is when you beg us, the viewers, to go and do something for your interests. The way you express it makes it sound like doomsday is upon us and that we are your only hope. I disagree.

I know that you did not say "please vote for Hillary Clinton" but it is heavily implied from your Twitter feed to the point that it frustrates me. It almost sounds as if you're guilting me into a decision that I do not appreciate.

I'm not here to start a political argument, but I do feel the need to express something to you that I can't get off my mind.

Thanks for hearing me out, and I hope we can put this election stuff finally behind us. We all definitely need that.

-TheDrmcvey
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 1:50 pm Reply with quote
I am glad to hear that Discotek is busy working on releases of niche anime. I am looking forward to your BD release of Lupin III, Part IV. Thank you Brady and all the Discotek staff for all your dedication and hard work.

Speaking of licensing sports anime, I would love it if Discotek could license Touch. Releasing all 101 episodes would be a big undertaking, but if you could Kickstart it, I would pledge up to $200.

And while I am at it, Discotek, please license and release Naoki Urasawa's Monster and Paranoia Agent.

Last edited by Angel M Cazares on Fri Nov 04, 2016 4:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Parsifal24

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 2:12 pm Reply with quote
Nice to hear Magic Knight Rayearth will be coming out soon I liked the first season. Also good to see this episode of ANNcast was little more focused the last two episodes have felt a little aimless to me. Some people like that sort of thing but I just find it hard to follow and like structure still enjoyable though.

Ah Street Fighter 2 I can remember renting that in middle school and watching it with my buddies it is not good but much like Ninja Scroll and Dark City it's a formative Anime for me.

Also since someone bough it up but since it's for Sentai Filmworks somebody ask them about Legend of the Galactic Heroes that and Shirobako where going to be the only I bought this year but LOGH got announced and nothing. Oh well I just hope does not end up like Fast Break.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 2:35 pm Reply with quote
First, this is a very 2016 reply. Just an observation.

TheDrmcvey. wrote:

Thanks for hearing me out, and I hope we can put this election stuff finally behind us. We all definitely need that.

-TheDrmcvey

I hear you - as I said in the show, I felt I needed to say something, and I spoke to my real feelings.

We're in agreement on putting it all behind us, for sure.
BJWanlund

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 2:48 pm Reply with quote
I am also glad to see that niche anime will have outlets because of Discotek. But I know that Game Center CX / Retro Game Master didn't sell that well, even for Discotek, well-known purveyor of niche content (even though we've never gotten concrete sales numbers to my knowledge) to give us some of the other GCCX DVD releases here and with English subtitles only. Sorry, I hate beating a dead horse on that score, but what they did to dub that here is beyond unconscionable.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 3:46 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:

TheDrmcvey. wrote:

-TheDrmcvey

I hear you - as I said in the show, I felt I needed to say something, and I spoke to my real feelings.

Your comments on Twitter, concerning this poster, indicate what you really thought. And is a disservice to ANN viewers who view things differently.
ZorinBlitz

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 3:57 pm Reply with quote
Vote for Trump right? I'm not a fan of the corrupt political establishment. Trump 2016 Cool
Everyone had their chance to vote for Bernie. #FeelTheBern
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 4:21 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
Zac wrote:

TheDrmcvey. wrote:

-TheDrmcvey

Your comments on Twitter, concerning this poster, indicate what you really thought. And is a disservice to ANN viewers who view things differently.

That he was disappointed that he was admonished for just telling people to vote before an election, not even telling them who to vote for? I won't speculate on who he would vote for and I don't really pay much attention to twitter but I would not be surprised if the poster in question is characterizing them correctly on the matter, and that they got hints of that from it. I saw what Zac said more as the importance of voting than saying it will be doomsday if people don't vote or vote for who he believes is the wrong person.
mgosdin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 4:25 pm Reply with quote
The dimensional rift opens and it's full ...... of politicians!

In the meantime, I've got to find money for some of the Discotek releases, I guess that means they are doing their job quite well indeed.

There's never a Gundam when you need one.

Mark Gosdin
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 4:26 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:

I said it here too.

Zac wrote:

Here's the tweet:

"was admonished for begging people to vote at the start of my podcast

2016"

My "real feelings" revealed!
BVerfG

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 4:28 pm Reply with quote
TheDrmcvey. wrote:
Okay, I usually am upbeat when I post on an ANN forum, but today is the exact opposite.

Zac, I admire and respect all the hard work you do for ANN and how much of a positive impact you have had on the anime community. I can go even further and say that both you and Jacob have ignited my anime fandom and have helped me meet some of the most amazing people in the world!

With that being said, the opening statement plea you made at the beginning of this podcast irked me the wrong way.

Zac, I believe you and everyone else has a right to their own opinion, and I think that's great. You make a disclaimer on both your Twitter feed and your podcast that "the views that are expressed on both are not the views of Anime News Network."

However my problem is when you beg us, the viewers, to go and do something for your interests. The way you express it makes it sound like doomsday is upon us and that we are your only hope. I disagree.

I know that you did not say "please vote for Hillary Clinton" but it is heavily implied from your Twitter feed to the point that it frustrates me. It almost sounds as if you're guilting me into a decision that I do not appreciate.

I'm not here to start a political argument, but I do feel the need to express something to you that I can't get off my mind.

-TheDrmcvey

While I respect your opinion, I couldn't agree less. He called for people to vote, which I'd consider your civic duty in a democracy. If thats controversial now, democracy is truly doomed. But I'm not an American, so I suppose it's your democracy
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 4:37 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:

Here's the tweet:

"was admonished for begging people to vote at the start of my podcast

2016"

My "real feelings" revealed!

That is not exactly what the original poster was complaining about.
gravediggernalk
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 4:46 pm Reply with quote
>TMS took the initiative to have a proper English dub made for Lupin III: Part IV

YEEEEEEES! Now maybe they can take the initiative to dub the rest of the Lupin III franchise with the same cast Anime catgrin
Ajc228

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 5:24 pm Reply with quote
I'm hoping Discotek will license Armored Trooper Votoms or Monster. I'd also love to see a bluray release of Giant Robo. Wish I could say I was surprised that people are getting butt-hurt because Zac asked people to go out and vote. The outrage never ends.
ZorinBlitz

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 5:28 pm Reply with quote
Here's a good question. Why are you begging us to vote and why do you need us to vote? This doesn't sound like a PC get the vote out message, rather you begging and speaking like a doomsday message for people to vote on how you need us. Scared of the "doomsday" candidate the corporate media doesn't want you to vote for I'm guessing. #FeelTheBern
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4