• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Discotek Licenses Crusher Joe Anime Film, OVA Series

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 10:40 pm Reply with quote
That's pretty sweet. It'll be best to just hold on purchasing this on DVD because it'll need an entirely new remaster, which is still forthcoming in Japan. There's no reason to jump the gun for a inferior version.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 10:46 pm Reply with quote
Crusher Joe, like most things Yas does, is an interesting movie, if not particularly rewatchable. I've never seen the OVAs before.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Kikaioh

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 11:02 pm Reply with quote
Maaaan I've waited a long time for this! Thank you Discotek, you keep killing it with your releases!
AliceTheHare

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 11:19 pm Reply with quote
I was hoping to see Discotek pick this series, they never seem to disappoint. Now if only they would also rescue New Getter Robo, then everything would be perfect.
_-_Seiya_-_

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 11:31 pm Reply with quote
Yes! I've been waiting for this day! The out of print DVD from years ago goes for an arm and a leg, so it will be nice to finally be able to get an affordable version of this on DVD.

I already own Crusher Joe on Laserdisc, but the LDs are subtitled only, so I haven't watched it yet, because I've always wanted to see it dubbed, and I'm assuming Discotek's release will be dual-audio.
pajmo9

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 12:15 am Reply with quote
Crusher Joe was decently entertaining but I'm not sure if I would want to double dip on it. Maybe I'll wait to see how the blu-ray turns out.
Triltaison

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 1:10 am Reply with quote
Oo, fun. I would be perfectly fine with Discotek continuing to poke around AnimEigo's old catalog, so I hope this works out for them.
FLCLGainax

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 2:46 am Reply with quote
Yay! Now I can retire my VHSes. Hope the AnimEigo dub is included.
NJ_

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 3:19 am Reply with quote
As mentioned elsewhere, I waited a LONG time for this and originally thought it would be Nozomi getting them because they had re-released Dirty Pair a few years back but Discotek getting them is still good news. Nice to know there will be a BD on the way as well though I can imagine it will take a while like with Magic Knight Rayearth because of the Japanese release that's coming out next week.

AliceTheHare wrote:
Now if only they would also rescue New Getter Robo, then everything would be perfect.

THIS!

Back when I started collecting old Go Nagai adaptations on DVD and when more stores were around, some of the New Getter Robo volumes were very hard to find, even at certain FYEs where I was lucky to find other OOP anime DVDs that Right Stuf didn't have (like Vol. 4 of the Jojo OVAs, set 1 of Magical Project S, the complete Devil Lady set, etc) and sadly the only place that seems to have the complete set is charging more than the SRP (typical RACS) so I hope Discotek rescues that show soon, I already own their Blu-ray set of Getter Robo Armageddon and it's looking good so far.

Speaking of OOP Go Nagai titles, hopefully they also get Devil Lady (I'd double dip and buy again like with Armageddon) and especially more Cutie Honey.
Hawkmonger

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 3:56 am Reply with quote
Ah you yanks get all the best classic anime in HD! Laughing
Running Wild

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 5:04 am Reply with quote
I read Discotek and Joe thinking they licensed Ashita no Joe.

But this is fine too.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 10:21 am Reply with quote
I remember seeing (at least) part of the movie back in my community college anime over 7.5 years ago. Oh, nostalgia is strong with this company.
russ869

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 4:05 pm Reply with quote
Tough choice... do I keep my pre-order for the Japanese BD that releases in a week or cancel it and wait the undetermined amount of time (> 1 year seems likely) for the US BD? The Japanese BD won't contain english sub/dub, but I'm guessing the US BD won't include extras like both the 4:3 and 16:9 versions of the movie.
Ouran High School Dropout

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 8:56 pm Reply with quote
Well, well...this is a title I thought would be forever consigned to oblivion! Discotek Media strikes again! Laughing I'm really becoming a fan of this little company and how they bring new life to old-time anime!
EricJ2

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 9:31 pm Reply with quote
FLCLGainax wrote:
Yay! Now I can retire my VHSes. Hope the AnimEigo dub is included.

Since Discotek doesn't do their own dubs but just digs up the archival ones, that's a fair assumption.

Most remember the Crusher Movie for introducing the Dirty Pair, and the joke was that the "goofy" girl-mercenary movie on-screen was parodying the Joe team's work-for-hire jobs.
Prophetically, the Pair became the better remembered series.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2