• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Winter Wonderland

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 1:43 pm Reply with quote
The Christmas costumes were really quite something. I'm definitely going to enjoy the video format, even though watching live is an extreme rarity for me. Kudos to Zac for wearing the beard for the entire show without visible irritation!

Having endured half of Yoga Hosers, I can appreciate why many deem it to be the worst film of the year, yet I should mention that for all its woes, it did not come close to the sheer political acidity of the Angry Birds Movie.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Raebo101

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 3:23 pm Reply with quote
Cowboy Bebop IS available on Crunchyroll, but only in Japanese. I feel like that's something people should know, considering how beloved the English Dub for that show is. One Punch Man is on Crunchyroll in sub. Yuri on Ice is in sub on Crunchyroll and dub on FUNimation, and Space Dandy is only on FUNimation, in sub and dub.
NickPenrhyn

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 6:32 pm Reply with quote
Aw, my question wasn't gotten to Sad oh well, luck of the draw I guess xD

Guess I'll be ready for Sound Marathonium though~
Roxas4ever

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2016 12:53 am Reply with quote
THANK YOU for bringing up Popstar. I loved Popstar, and I don't know anyone else who saw it. I have spammed so many people with the "Finest Girl (The Bin Laden Song)" music video since then Laughing
mbanu

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2016 5:52 am Reply with quote
Sayo Yamamoto finally gets the accolades she deserved eight years ago; I'm really happy it turned out this way. Smile Hopefully this will inspire more people to go back and watch Michiko and Hatchin (and of course to greenlight more of her stuff in the future.)
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2016 12:15 pm Reply with quote
Man, it's gonna hurt if Your Name doesn't get nominated. At least that would prove that the Animated Feature award really is just the "Kids' Oscar".
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2016 4:19 pm Reply with quote

It will hurt, but in a way for which we can mentally prepare ourselves. A hearty helping of distain for the academy certainly helps, I find.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
CCTakato

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 5:23 am Reply with quote
To be honest, while I do hope Your Name at least gets nominated, I don't think I would be too bummed out of it wasn't as I personally thought this was a really strong year for Western animated movies. Maybe I just have completely different tastes but I don't understand why Jacob thinks Moana is too formulaic. As a big fan of Disney, I didn't feel like Moana followed any of the classic Disney tropes, to be honest. I mean, Moana is the first Disney princess movie without a single shred of romance in it, so I feel like that should count for something for how highly Frozen was praised for being pro-feminist. I felt like the feminist message of Moana has been greatly underappreciated in general. And Moana having the ocean help isn't that much more ridiculous than Snow White having the entire forest protecting her from the evil queen.

I thought Finding Dory had an important and inspiring message for families that had disabled children and I don't know why it seems like a lot of people are cynical towards it other than people are really cynical towards Pixar these days for some reason, and Zootopia had a powerful anti-racism message that was very timely and important. Even the mediocre Western animation like Sing and Secret Life of Pets don't really seem like they're that awful to me. If Zac and Jacob are disappointed in this year's Western animation, they're going to be in a whole new world of disappointment next year. As long as Kubo gets nominated and not Secret Life of Pets, I think I would be satisfied even if Your Name doesn't win. And personally I feel like Spirited Away winning that Oscar kind of hurt it in a way. Like it's still a big movie among general audiences, but I feel like modern anime fandom is kind of cynical towards Spirited Away and complains about how over-rated it is and complain about Miyazaki's elitism. If Your Name were somehow to win an Oscars, you can guarantee in a few years from now people will be complaining about how overhyped it was and start insulting Makoto Shinkai and stuff. So we should be careful what we wish for.
Arkthelad

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 11:50 am Reply with quote
Although I have problems with some of the characterisation in Rogue One I found Jacob's criticisms of it a bit silly. Firstly, the "Red Letter Media test" is pretty infantile because it rests on the assumption that a well written character must have clearly telegraphed and easily definable traits. To me this is like the Disney/Pixar version of character writing. In real life there are a lot of people who don't have personalities that are easily definable to others. There are also many classic films that have lead characters who don't have in your face personalities. You could argue that the main characters of Apocalypse Now and The Godfather are just "stoic" and nothing else. Those are both considered classic films though.

Additionally, I don't see how anyone can think the characters in R1 are shallow but then like The Force Awakens. The new characters in that aren't even coherent, let alone deep or shallow.
Paul D. Atreides

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 7:06 am Reply with quote
Speaking of films of 2016:

Have you seen that documentary The Red Pill? If so, what did you think of it?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1