• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild Will Be Last Nintendo Game for Wii U

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
valoon

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 1:56 pm Reply with quote
Pretty sad, anyways I'm still buying it! Very Happy
Gamer Goku

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 2:03 pm Reply with quote
Rest in piece, Wii U. You weren't as bad as everyone claimed you were. *wipes manly tear*
Hugh Mungus

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 2:35 pm Reply with quote
So by last Nintendo game for the Wii U, they mean the last game that's not a "Just Dance" game, right?

Still, maybe one day, people will look back on this console more fondly, just like with the Gamecube or the Dreamcast.
ryoukosan245

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 2:47 pm Reply with quote
Hugh Mungus wrote:
So by last Nintendo game for the Wii U, they mean the last game that's not a "Just Dance" game, right?

Still, maybe one day, people will look back on this console more fondly, just like with the Gamecube or the Dreamcast.

The only reason people look back on the Gamecube more fondly was because it was the last traditional console Nintendo made before they started relying on gimmicks to sell consoles, it wasn't under powered, and it was the last console where it felt like Nintendo was focused solely on gamers and not casuals. In reality it still suffered from thing Nintendo consoles post SNES suffered like lack of 3rd party and lack of features.
Blackiris_

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 2:50 pm Reply with quote
Hugh Mungus wrote:

Just Dance is not a Nintendo-developed (or published) game.
theNightster

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 3:41 pm Reply with quote
ryoukosan245 wrote:
Hugh Mungus wrote:

The only reason people look back on the Gamecube more fondly was because it was the last traditional console Nintendo made before they started relying on gimmicks to sell consoles, it wasn't under powered, and it was the last console where it felt like Nintendo was focused solely on gamers and not casuals. In reality it still suffered from thing Nintendo consoles post SNES suffered like lack of 3rd party and lack of features.
to be fair though, even with the lack of features and 3rd party the game cube was still badass because it still had a lot of great games. I've got fond memories of Melee, Resident evil, Wind waker, and Viewtiful joe (Capcom you better bring that series back)
NateSelwyn25

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 3:45 pm Reply with quote
I could be wrong, but I seem to recall this being the norm for Nintendo. Soon as a new console is out, they stop making games for the previous almost immediately, whereas Sony and Microsoft slowly phases the old gen stuff out over a year's time.
Evernessince

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 5:14 pm Reply with quote
theNightster wrote:
ryoukosan245 wrote:
Hugh Mungus wrote:

to be fair though, even with the lack of features and 3rd party the game cube was still badass because it still had a lot of great games. I've got fond memories of Melee, Resident evil, Wind waker, and Viewtiful joe (Capcom you better bring that series back)

Yeah, the GameCube had allot of great games but in traditional Nintendo style, those games only sold a fraction of what they could have if the console was more popular. Nintendo hardware and design choices have constantly screwed their games.

It's to the point where "Oh, gotta buy Nintendo's shitty hardware to play their games". It's no wonder launch sales aren't good if the games drive the sales.
Ambimunch

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 8:41 pm Reply with quote
Buy Wii U's now, this will be a collector's console soon. Or if you wanna make 100% profit in like 5 years. (I didn't used to think like this, but our broken capitalist society now has me looking at everything as a money making opportunity)
CatSword

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 8:54 pm Reply with quote
At least we can look forward to Just Dance 2018 for Wii, Wii U, and Nintendo Switch.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kon'Doriano

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 9:00 pm Reply with quote
So long Wii U!!! You will NOT BE missed...not by me anyway Laughing Finally, the days of this obsolete console has come to an end!
jrockfreak

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 9:06 pm Reply with quote
glad to see by the comments that i wasnt the only one who enjoyed the wii u. i dont really play zelda at all but i will be getting this version especially since its the last wii u game
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 10:40 pm Reply with quote
The Wii U's era was pretty rough with its initially poor marketing and low sales, but it did have a good number of titles present, despite its small library. Splatoon was an awesome shooter that made for a phenomenal ink-fest! Smile
epicwizard

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 12:03 am Reply with quote
Yep, Nintendo is definitely done with the Wii U.
Jayhosh

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 4:17 am Reply with quote
Third pillar, eh?

Not like we ever believed that, of course.

Also, Nintendo's always made consoles with "gimmicks" (not an inherently bad term, btw). They're a toy company, after all. The Gamecube had a f*cking carrying handle on it people.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2