• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sentai Filmworks Licenses RIN-NE 3 Anime

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thekingsdinner

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 3:23 pm Reply with quote
Figures because they also have S1 and S2, but still cool they picked this one up. Still impatiently awaiting the S2 Blu-rays.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
bleachigo66

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 6:36 pm Reply with quote
Really happy news to hear!
CANimeFan88

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:20 am Reply with quote
They'll license a third season but won't dub it. Why? It can't be that bad of an anime series. I'm surprised it has plenty of star-power with the seiyuus they've cast.
kakoishii

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:17 pm Reply with quote
^ agreed, it's a crying shame this show doesn't have a dub. Lesser shows have been dubbed, so not sure why Sentai won't pony up for a dub. The show is popular enough for them to have licensed the first two seasons, I wish they would at least consider a dub.
EmperorBrandon
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 3:21 pm Reply with quote
They probably didn't dub it because it's so long. It's more costly to dub that many episodes. If they had dubbed the first season and it didn't sell well enough, they would be stuck with either money down the drain on future seasons or disappointing dubbed fans with a mid-series switch to sub-only.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:55 pm Reply with quote
EmperorBrandon wrote:
They probably didn't dub it because it's so long. It's more costly to dub that many episodes. If they had dubbed the first season and it didn't sell well enough, they would be stuck with either money down the drain on future seasons or disappointing dubbed fans with a mid-series switch to sub-only.

Well, when Sentai initially licensed it, there was only one season. Sentai has dubbed long series before, and those with multiple seasons like Fate/Kalied. I have a feeling that either that cost of the license was too high to make a dubbing effort profitable, or the streaming numbers aren't what Sentai would have liked to see.

While Rumiko Takahashi has had a couple of big hits like Inuyasha, some of her titles have performed extremely poorly in R1. The reception of RIN-NE seems to have been lukewarm.
EmperorBrandon
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:32 pm Reply with quote
dragonrider_cody wrote:
Well, when Sentai initially licensed it, there was only one season. Sentai has dubbed long series before, and those with multiple seasons like Fate/Kalied. I have a feeling that either that cost of the license was too high to make a dubbing effort profitable, or the streaming numbers aren't what Sentai would have liked to see.

Yes, but the second season was announced around when the first one finished broadcasting, so I think they would have known (that there would be at least four cour) by the time it came for them to decide to dub the first season or not.
NJ_

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:57 pm Reply with quote
EmperorBrandon wrote:

Or just not dub & release it on disc at all like with season 3 of Phi-Brain.
EmperorBrandon
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:49 pm Reply with quote
NJ_ wrote:
Or just not dub & release it on disc at all like with season 3 of Phi-Brain.

Ah yeah, I had forgotten about that. Another bad outcome that could come of starting to dub a really long series and it selling poorly. Prisma Illya was mentioned earlier, but I have a feeling that's one that ended up being a miss for Sentai. The first series Blu-ray ended up going for massive discounts in sales in less than two years from release, and they took a very long time in getting 2wei Herz out. Still haven't licensed 3rei, and it's within the realm of possibility that Crunchyroll even has home video rights to it (since it's past the point where Crunchyroll got pretty much any Kadokawa title), so I'd say dub consistency, or even any dub at all, may be in at least a little doubt for it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1