• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Fruits Basket (see 2nd post for thread info)

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 4:05 pm Reply with quote
Welcome, eyesopen! ( I hope you don't mind my shortening your name a bit- I'm lazy! Wink Very Happy ) Please continue to join us.

Yes, spoiler[Manabe] is an idiot but he does provide something that Yuki needs - spoiler[the opportunity to be more open with his feelings. Manabe is a lot like Ayame but since he's Yuki's age, he'll be a lot more helpful in that regard. Plus, he doesn't have the emotional Sohma family baggage between him and Yuki like there is between Yuki and Ayame. ]
eyesopen0791

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 5:45 pm Reply with quote
LydiaDianne wrote:
Welcome, eyesopen! ( I hope you don't mind my shortening your name a bit- I'm lazy! ) Please continue to join us.

I don't mind Smile . The name is long because some id names are required to be 8 characters long and it's hard to come up with a unique name. The numbers mean something memorable to me so I can remember it.

Thanks for the welcome, and I wanted to say some things about volumes 10 and 11 based on your previous comments.

I'm intrigued by what it means when Yuki spoiler[ telling Kyo "because I'm me." after Yuki warns Kyo not to lose his temper when he has his meeting with Akito. What did Akito say to Yuki in their meeting? I haven't been able to figure it out. I really love the mysteries in FB still remaining to be revealed, at least for me.]

And in these two volumes, finally I got to see spoiler[ both Yuki and Kyo admitting their love of Tohru. Wow. I mean, I knew, as far back as the beginning, that they were developing feelings for her, but to see it out in the clear was so great. Actually, it was surprising to read not one, but both of the guys admitting their love. I agree with you, it was real awful the things Akito said to Kyo. My god, poor Kyo locked away after he finished high school and hearing Akito basically threatening to kill Tohru if Kyo and Tohru became a couple. Akito wasn't a likeable person before, but here, he's downright hateful!]

Now about the scene with Tohru and Momiji spoiler[I didn't get how how neither Yuki nor Kyo stopped Akito from hurting Tohru. They saw the scene from the window, right? Tohru's lucky she only got away with a deep scratch on her face.]

The big secret: spoiler[Akito is God. Whoa, I didn't see that coming, I knew Akito was bad news and much feared by the Zodiac members, but didn't understand why. I'm so glad I avoided the spoilers on this secret.]

One last thing, about Shigure spoiler[I really hated him after finishing vol 11. In earlier books, you had little clues he's not very nice, but still, he didn't do anything very hurtful. But here, he deliberately destroyed the fun everyone was having at the summer house by inviting Akito. He basically instigated everyone abandoning Tohru and isolating Kyo and he brought about the confrontation between Akito and Tohru. I can't quite figure out why he's doing all this (and please, please don't tell me because I want to be completely surprised) but whatever it is, there's no justification!] I completely agreed with Hatori saying to Shigure spoiler[ You need to have your belly slit open. I really wished that someone would punch Shigure out. He so deserves one!]

Last edited by eyesopen0791 on Mon Oct 22, 2007 6:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 6:11 pm Reply with quote
While Shigure has/is doing some pretty "evil" things, you really have to understand where he's going with all of this. Which I won't tell you per your request. But, just remember what he told Hatori in one of the earlier volumes, that out of all of the members of the Zodiac, he is probably the most cursed.

Yeah, he's doing some wrong things but he's doing them for the right reasons. I haven't seen anything beyond #17 myself but through other spoilers (no will-power) and guessing I know where this is somewhat headed.

Shigure has a great deal of love in him. Which is giving him the strength to do what needs to be done.

It's an interesting ride to get there though!

As for what Yuki meant when he said spoiler[I'm me.] I have no clue! Embarassed
fighterholic

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 12:25 am Reply with quote
You'll find there's quite a bit of things undiscovered about Shigure, which you will discover in later volumes, and the reason why things work the way they do around him. I love him as he is one of the most complex characters in the series, don't expect him to be in the same mood at one moment and the next. And welcome to eyesopen0791! I am the official host, while Lydia is the co-host of the largest manga thread on ANN.
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 11:20 pm Reply with quote
Yesterday, my car wouldn't start and I'm praying that it's the battery (Sears says I haven't replaced the battery since July 2001) and today the power went out at my house and across most of the city where I live and so I almost wasn't able to go to work except for a wonderful co-worker who gave me a ride to work and another wonderful co-worker who gave me a ride home.

And so because it is Friday, and this will make me feel better, let's discuss vol. 13 of Fruits Basket!

Well, the beginning of this volume gives a a quick glimpse of what Yuki's mother was like just before she arrives for his parent/teacher conference. And then to read the derogatory crap coming from her mother, I wanted to b****-slap her into next year! It's very obvious that the woman does not listen to anything Yuki says and never has especially with the look on his face in the panel at the right bottom of page 23.

But, joy of joys! Ayame has Arrived! And the look he gives his mother when he actually focuses on her is extremely cold, which, considering his normally off-the-wall personality, is almost shocking. It's obvious she treats him as bad as she does Yuki but in a different manner due to Ayame's personality. And for Yuki to contradict his mother and say spoiler["That's not true. Nii-san is reliable. I mean...he's outlandish in lots of ways, but he's not 'good for nothing.'"] It's obvious that Ayame is both shocked and delighted that Yuki has said that. What a jump for Yuki to take and say that about the brother whom he has not gotten along well with for years.

And, the best part is Mayu telling Hatori that she finally understands what he's been going through all these years.

The various Student Idiots Council members are an interesting group. The entire discussion as to who gets what color was hilarious! But, what was interesting to see Yuki genuinely lose his temper. Yes, we've seen him in a temper with Ayame and Kyo but that was just reflex, this was a TRUE losing of temper!

And, we actually meet the cute little Momo! Or at least Tohru does and she almost blows Momiji's secret to her. But, Momo, like most of the Sohma, can keep her own secrets spoiler[and her's is being strangely attracted to Momiji. And spying on him. Watching her beg Tohru to ask Momiji if he'd be her Big Brother and play his violin with her was almost heartbreaking. And the joy on Momiji's face when Tohru told him that was wonderful!] And when did Momiji get taller than Tohru?!

It was interesting the meeting between spoiler[Tohru and Kureno. But what was interesting was Kureno saying "A girl like you shouldn't be in a place like this." I'm not really sure what he meant by that...]

**fixed spelling errors**

Last edited by LydiaDianne on Sat Oct 27, 2007 9:13 am; edited 1 time in total
fighterholic

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 3:44 am Reply with quote
I for one am in the far right for saying that Yuki's mom is like Akito. Now, who is worse? Twisted Evil I really did enjoy spoiler[the part where Ayame decided to make an entrance, for one thing, it made their mom screech like she probably hasn't in quite a while Laughing Nevertheless Ayame thus became Yuki's adult accompaniment for his meeting, and I have to say that it was going a lot better than when their mom was there. It was pretty boring Rolling Eyes Yuki definetly found something out about himself from that meeting though, the part where he's growing up, into a mature person, but also in size.]

Yuki spoiler[is not the only one doing some growing, Momiji's doing the same thing. I think it's hurtful to have to conceal the truth from somebody you love, and who actually cares for you as well. That's the thing we see with Momiji and Momo, with Tohru apparently caught in the middle and having to share the pain. But in a way it was a good thing. Momiji has found the courage to play the violin, so that it helps him think more of Momo. Perhaps one day he will be able to tell her who he really is.]
eyesopen0791

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 12:45 pm Reply with quote
LydiaDianne wrote:
Well, the beginning of this volume gives a a quick glimpse of what Yuki's mother was like just before she arrives for his parent/teacher conference. And then to read the derogatory crap coming from her mother, I wanted to b****-slap her into next year! It's very obvious that the woman does not listen to anything Yuki says and never has especially with the look on his face in the panel at the right bottom of page 23.

Good morning! At least where I am. Ok, Yuki's mom, grrr, I really hated her after reading what she was saying. When Mayu said spoiler[Please, Ms. Sohma, you are striking your child with hurtful words, I'd like to strike her! With a mallet!]

LydiaDianne wrote:
But, joy of joys! Ayame has Arrived! And the look he gives his mother when he actually focuses on her is extremely cold, which, considering his normally off-the-wall personality, is almost shocking. It's obvious she treats him as bad as she does Yuki but in a different manner due to Ayame's personality. And for Yuki to contradict his mother and say spoiler["That's not true. Nii-san is reliable. I mean...he's outlandish in lots of ways, but he's not 'good for nothing.'"] It's obvious that Ayame is both shocked and delighted that Yuki has said that. What a jump for Yuki to take and say that about the brother whom he has not gotten along well with for years.

I loved this scene! I loved how he said spoiler[I wish you would shut up Mother.] I never thought he would say something like that. spoiler[Is it because he's now older that he has the courage to bite back?] Finally, spoiler[Ayame supports his brother in an effective way and not botch it up like he's done before and he hears Yuki acknowledge he's a good person and not a useless person.] I felt so badly for Ayame when he first came onto the scene because spoiler[he seems to clearly regret how he badly hurt Yuki in the past and how he's trying so hard to be closer to Yuki but Yuki's not interested but maybe now, finally, Yuki wants to.I love the idea of a character who is remorseful and trying to make amends.]
LydiaDianne wrote:
The various Student Idiots Council members are an interesting group. The entire discussion as to who gets what color was hilarious! But, what was interesting to see Yuki genuinely lose his temper.

And what I think this means is spoiler[Yuki finally having some small confidence in himself that he could be genuinely be annoyed and show his annoyance by such stupidity. Before, he would allow it because he didn't feel confidence to say anything about it. By Manabe pushing Yuki's buttons, by being stuck with the loon, and by not being to avoid him or see him less like Aya, Yuki is coming out of his shell more.]

LydiaDianne wrote:
It was interesting the meeting between spoiler[Tohru and Kureno. But what was interesting was Kureno saying "A girl like you shouldn't be in a place like this." I'm not really sure what he meant by that...]

I think Kureno is saying, spoiler[You are a good and sweet girl and you shouldn't be in a place of horrifying heartbreak and cruelty like this because it would destroy you. And I so agree with him!]
eyesopen0791

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 12:49 pm Reply with quote
Hey, fighterholic and LydiaDianne, I was thinking, what do you guys think of a FB trivia game? Of course, there's only so many trivia to come up with, but it might be a little fun. I have one for example.

In Vol 1, while Tohru thought Shigure looked very nice in a suit, Yuki instead thought he looked like a __________.

Check later if you guessed it right! Smile
murph76

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 1:31 pm Reply with quote
eyesopen0791 wrote:
I loved this scene! I loved how he said spoiler[I wish you would shut up Mother.] I never thought he would say something like that. spoiler[Is it because he's now older that he has the courage to bite back?] Finally, spoiler[Ayame supports his brother in an effective way and not botch it up like he's done before and he hears Yuki acknowledge he's a good person and not a useless person.] I felt so badly for Ayame when he first came onto the scene because spoiler[he seems to clearly regret how he badly hurt Yuki in the past and how he's trying so hard to be closer to Yuki but Yuki's not interested but maybe now, finally, Yuki wants to.I love the idea of a character who is remorseful and trying to make amends.]

My thoughts on Aya talking back to his mother: spoiler[Mom tells Yuki something to the effect of "One Ayame in the family is enough" when Yuki tells her he wants to make his own choices about college and his future. I got the impression that Mom meant something like "One Ayame who always does what he wants to do and never listens to me ... " I don't think Ayame had much of a problem tellhing his mother to shut up, because I don't Ayame listened much to his mother in the first place. And, like you said eyesopen, Aya's remorseful and trying to make amends with Yuki. His goal in being at the conference is to support Yuki. With that goal in mind, Aya is an unstoppable force.]

I love the student council. spoiler[They all seem so inept; they must show their strength behind the scenes. I enjoy how mean Kimi is to the Yuki fans. She loves to flirt outrageously with Yuki in front of them to watch the Yuki fans melt down.] Laughing

-Murph
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 1:51 pm Reply with quote
murph76 wrote:

I love the student council. spoiler[They all seem so inept; they must show their strength behind the scenes. I enjoy how mean Kimi is to the Yuki fans. She loves to flirt outrageously with Yuki in front of them to watch the Yuki fans melt down.] Laughing

-Murph

And you know that Kimi spoiler[does that on purpose! I can just feel it. That she enjoys playing dippy and then getting that zinger right underneath someone's skin. But, she doesn't zing everyone. I think that she rather choosey in who she gets.]
murph76

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 2:53 pm Reply with quote
LydiaDianne wrote:
And you know that Kimi spoiler[does that on purpose! I can just feel it. That she enjoys playing dippy and then getting that zinger right underneath someone's skin. But, she doesn't zing everyone. I think that she rather choosey in who she gets.]

Oh, I agree 100 percent. spoiler[Her seductress routine is an act to get her what she wants and zing those she chooses. I'm not sure if it was in this volume, but I love the scene where she pages "Yun-yun" over the PA system. Also hilarious because I think Yuki was talking to the Priyukis at the time. I hope I'm not mixing that up. Kimi is a character I wish we could see more of in the manga.]

-Murph
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 9:46 am Reply with quote
Once again, another Friday. Even with the paycheck, I'm broke...And since I have to bake a cake tonight, I think I'll start Vol. 14 discussion right now!

We start off by seeing the relationship between Hiro and his mother. spoiler[It's obvious that she's one of the parents who can accept their child for being what it is. But then, she seem a little dippy...but it also obvious that Hiro loves her very much.]

But what was difficult soon after was watching Hiro ask Rin spoiler[if it was wrong to have loving parents or to have a peaceful life.] Yeah, Hiro is a pain, but he's still a little boy and seeing him that way is sad.

You know, I really don't like Rin all that much. I realize that she's in a bunch of pain herself. But, I just don't really like her. She's hurt spoiler[Haru with rejecting him, she's said hurtful things pretty much to everyone else.] Right now I just can't bring myself to like the girl. But, then there is her reaction when spoiler[she vomits and mistakes Tohru for her parents.] I don't really understand Rin. She is trying so desperately to push EVERYONE away but, when it comes right down to it, like the other members of the Zodiac, she ends up clinging to the comfort that is Tohru.

On a much lighter note, we get to see murph's aforementioned PA call for spoiler["Yun-Yun" and the horrified reaction of the PriYuki girls...not to mention Yuki's horrified reaction!]

When everone in the Student IdiotsCouncil walk in on Machi spoiler[destroying the room again, and Kakeru askes that they pretend that the never saw it, it never happened. Yuki, of course, is the first one to agree. I think that it's because he sees in Machi similarities to his own family members and their issues. And he's also rather firm with Nao about forgetting about it. Then we learn the BIG secret between Machi and Kakeru and why he's protective of her.

I think that Yuki sees in Kakeru's and Machi's problem, a similarity in his own - being unable to break free.]

And as the volume draws to a close, we discover that the class play will be spoiler[Cinderella with Hana-chan in the title role - "A wicked Cinderella is born!"] Laughing Laughing Laughing
fighterholic

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 3:27 pm Reply with quote
Yuki spoiler[certainly was able to excercise his authority as President of the Student Body when Nao was starting to make a big stink about things, it was just funny when he silenced him the way he did] Laughing On another note, I think spoiler[Kakeru talking to Yuki about Machi helps open the door to Yuki understanding why Machi is the way she is in certain situations. It leads to how he talks to her later on. The Cinderella play, prepare yourselves for laughs that will have you in stitches for the next couple of days] Laughing
aya_honda

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 2:31 pm Reply with quote
I think that what I njoyed the most in this volume would be Isuzu's story. I like her very much and she had one of the toughest lives in the zodiac. Firstly, there're her parents. spoiler[I think that we already agreed a bunch of times that they are horrible parents, but still I feel the need to say it again. At first when I saw their act I really thought that they were good parents but that suddenly something really terrible happened. In fact they were just some mean creatures who should have never had a child. To treat one's own child like that is heartless, to say the least. That's why probably Isuzu had so many problems adjusting to the other homes where she has been sent: firstly to Kagura's family, where they were an "unfractured home" has Takaya-san puts it and where Kagura of course is accepted. I think that what hurts her the most is the words that Hiro's mom says, namely that she will love her child no matter what happens with her/ him. Rin has never had something like that. ]

Secondly we have her connection with spoiler[Haru and her love for him, because definetly Haru is her knight in shinning armour. I really loved the scenes which showed the evolution of their story. Also it is one of the most mature and dramatic love story in the manga. I admired Rin also because she is trying to break up the curse not for her but for Haru. I mean, everyone would expect her to try to break the curse because she has been banned from her family because of it and in a way the breaking of the curse would mean that she could come back. Still she never thinks like that: all she wants is to make Haru happy and she thinks that breaking the curse is the only way.]

Fially there is her relationship with Akito and Tohru. On the one hand spoiler[Akito bashes Isuzu and makes her feel like she doesn't deserve anything on this world. On the other hand there is Tohru who tries to make her understand that it is a situation far too difficult to be resolved by a single person and that she needn't carry the burden on her own, as Haru already loves her. ] By far, Isuzu is one of the most traumatized and complex charaters in the manga. She's been through so many emotions.

But we also have the beginning of the Cinderella play, with Kyo spoiler[as the prince and Hana-chan as the "evil" Cinderella. ] Boy, I really had a good laugh with this one, even after re-reading it after so much time. This play will uncover many hidden desires. Twisted Evil

I think that many people were desatisfied with the ending of this volume when spoiler[Yuki realizes that he has seen in Tohru just a motherly love, whereas in the beginning we have that scene where his real mother tries to behave as one and tells him not to overwork himself. ] It was an interesting contrast between these two scenes, because it shows how much Yuki needs to be suported and loved by a parent, espcially because he has been spoiler[abandoned. Many people have said that this was just a simple resolution of a classical love triangle but I think it isn't simple at all and that just because Yuki admits that to himself, that doesn't mean that all the things become of all the sudden clear for him and that he solves everything.]
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 7:11 pm Reply with quote
I still have mixed emotions about Rin, but aya, what you said made me lean a lot more towards sympathy now.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 94 of 170