• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Anime Video Market in Japan Sees 15.8% Decrease in 2016

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TasteyCookie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:00 pm Reply with quote
You know guys, there is a search function you can use on ANN, instead of spewing out random death of anime comments...

in 2015, anime saw a 12% increase in revenue, up to 1.83 trillion. Even with record declining disc sales... OH NO THE DEATH OF ANIME SINCE IT'S INCREASING SALES.... Disc sales only made up 11.8% of all anime related revenue in 2015, and when the 2016 info comes out we'll see it fall to an even lower percentage.
relyat08

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:18 pm Reply with quote
SWAnimefan wrote:

As for decline of Anime in general, I could've sworn just a month ago, ANN had an article that said it was recovering. While we no longer have Saturday morning cartoons, I highly doubt we will truly ever see the end to animation.

And you're right. The total value of the industry has consistently gone up every year for more than the last half decade. This isn't doom and gloom. Just some people misunderstanding it. I had the same reaction to the thread, if you'll note my previous comment. I check these numbers regularly, and it's pretty universally positive stuff.
TasteyCookie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:31 pm Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:

And you're right. The total value of the industry has consistently gone up every year for more than the last half decade. This isn't doom and gloom. Just some people misunderstanding it. I had the same reaction to the thread, if you'll note my previous comment. I check these numbers regularly, and it's pretty universally positive stuff.

Oo that link has a lot of cool stats. Thanks for the info!
relyat08

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:38 pm Reply with quote
TasteyCookie wrote:
relyat08 wrote:

Oo that link has a lot of cool stats. Thanks for the info!

No problem! And yeah, as you noted, actual physical media is a very small percentage of the total, which has been shrinking for the last few years. Overseas and Internet distribution, as well as theatrical releases and live entertainment are the real growth areas.
yuna49

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:39 pm Reply with quote
Pachinko licensing seems to be holding its own as well.

I have a few comments on that AJA report here: animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=4878630#4878630
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 1:37 am Reply with quote
SWAnimeFan wrote:
Not sure why everyone is so "Doom'n'gloom" about the decline of DVD / BluRay sales. When it's very likely due to on-demand media and digital downloads becoming the new norm. Just like when VHS was phased out by the DVD in the late 90s.
Now the fans of Blu-Ray know how the DVD fans felt when their media preference got kicked to the curb by a better viewing preference even after they thought their preference was the be-all, end-all in terms of media viewing. The karma is so delicious here.
relyat08

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:48 am Reply with quote
KabaKabaFruit wrote:
SWAnimeFan wrote:
Not sure why everyone is so "Doom'n'gloom" about the decline of DVD / BluRay sales. When it's very likely due to on-demand media and digital downloads becoming the new norm. Just like when VHS was phased out by the DVD in the late 90s.
Now the fans of Blu-Ray know how the DVD fans felt when their media preference got kicked to the curb by a better viewing preference even after they thought their preference was the be-all, end-all in terms of media viewing. The karma is so delicious here.

I guess that parallel works in a way, but there is still nothing really replacing Blu-ray directly. If you want to own the media in the best quality, you still get the BDs. Of course, you can still watch a lower quality stream of pretty much anything and be totally fine, and even purchase digital copies for some things. But if you're a media collector, you're definitely still collecting BDs. It'll probably be quite a while before that changes. The group of collectors who continue to buy because they can and because they want to own things physically will probably not change much, but the group of people who buy because they just think it's the best option will probably continue to decline as they realize the convenience of digital viewing, or just get priced out of the collector's market.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 3:06 am Reply with quote
Jonny Mendes wrote:
Looks like the trend will be to appeal more and more to the collectors market.
Physical disks sales are something that are going down not only in Japan but in the rest of the world.
How many people are wiling to buy disks? In the near future probably only collectors.

It doesn't matter how cheap they are, people are buying less and less.
It hurts to say this but the only way to make a decent profit is selling them to collectors that are wiling to spend big money on them.

Luckily disk sales is only a part of the reason why most anime is made.
If the things most anime are promoting are selling well, anime will continue to be made as nowadays.

But what will happen when those collectors stop collecting? If there isn't an infusion of new people into a market, it will die. No exceptions.

thekingsdinner wrote:
I love physical media so I think it's really sad this market is going down as much as it is. I get that digital is convenient and quick (and cheaper in a lot of cases), but owning something physically feels so much better to me... or I'm just old-fashioned, I dunno.

I also like owning things physically because it means they can't take my ability to consume them away from me. I'm the sort of person who will rewatch, reread, and replay my media many years after they've come out, whereas streaming services are geared towards consuming them when they're still recent.

KabaKabaFruit wrote:

Me, I just want to watch things, and I don't care if it's in SD or HD. If there's a DVD available with a lot of bonus content, I'll pick the DVD. I really only pick the Blu-Ray if that's the only kind available or if the bonus features are all crammed into the Blu-Ray, as the DVD will always cost less.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 4:13 am Reply with quote
Another thing to consider is that perhaps they are exaggerating some these figures, esp. with the issue of piracy/fan translations.
relyat08

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 1:21 pm Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
Another thing to consider is that perhaps they are exaggerating some these figures, esp. with the issue of piracy/fan translations.

You think they are intentionally deflating the sales numbers to make their situation look worse? Confused
I don't think that makes a lot of sense. And who would be doing that? Oricon? Or individual stores? Seems like a bit of a conspiracy. Kind of interesting, I guess, but I don't see anything like that happening at all.
ajr

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:13 am Reply with quote
...meanwhile, studio income from overseas sources nearly doubled in 2015.
yuna49

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 1:42 pm Reply with quote
It's all about China.

Quote:
In 2015, the number of contracts quadrupled and revenues increased significantly in the category of Overseas. Indeed, “Japanese animation industry proactively started engaging in overseas markets last year” as specified in Overseas Trends in the report. The export values which remained hardly changed for past three years suddenly increased, jumping from 19.5 billion yen to 34.9 billion yen,and recorded the highest, exceeding 31.3 billion yen in 2005. The major factor of this increase is attributed to “shopping sprees” by China. Despite revenue increases in North America and Asia countries, the remarkable increase in Chinese market constitutes more than half of the increase. It seems the trend simmering beneath in the past few years burst to the surface in 2015, which was also seen in the answers by animation studios for open‐questions as described in “Market Outline” in the report. Of course, Japanese animation industry welcomes the situation; however, it is undeniable this trend could be another bubble. Especially in China, all the industries, including cultural industries, are subordinate to the politics and bombarded with social situation of the moment. Not to mention of the Cultural Revolution, there have been several events affecting the market so far, such as the demonstration against Senkaku Islands dispute and retaliation for Korean entertainment industry against THAAD deployment to Korea. Thus it is hard to consider the market shifts without any political intervention in China. If the 2006 law that prohibits the broadcast of foreign animation programs during the prime time is applied to the Internet distribution, the recent prosperity might well collapse. (Emphasis mine.)

From the 2016 AJA Report: http://aja.gr.jp/english/japan-anime-data

I'm not sure what the "Cultural Revolution" reference is supposed to mean; that happened decades ago. Still it's interesting that the industry sees the Senkaku dispute and the deployment of the THAAD anti-missile system in Korea as the biggest threats to overseas anime revenues from China.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3